iFly interfering with other GPS units on the aircraft

DKandle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dk
I have two airplanes with Garmin GTN 750 units. Awhile ago I determined that when I turned on my iFly 720 it would take down the Garmin GPS (it would lose all satellites ). When I sent the unit to Adventure Pilot they said that the mother board was toast but they would sell me a new iFly 740 at a reduced price. I took that offer. Well, yesterday we turned on the iFly while flying across Nevada. My 750 immediately displayed a number of warnings -- GPS Lost, ADS-B turned off, no terrain information ... Adventure Pilot says they have not heard of this before. But it happens with both of my planes (one a 206 and the other a 182). Has anyone else seen issues between an iFly and other GPS receivers on the aircraft? I worry that people with an ADS-B system with an internal GPS could go offline without any indication to the pilot.

I used an iFly 720 for years with a GNS430W and have used it occasionally with my IFD540 (though normally I'm using two tablets). Originally, I used the 720 standalone, but when ADSB became a thing I eventually built a Stratux and that's what feeds the tablets.

Regardless, I've never seen any interference between any of my electronics.

if I recall correctly, years ago there were tests for electrical interference with GPS receivers. It doesn't take a lot of energy to overwhelm the weak GPS signals.

Certain VHF frequencies were known to cause problems with certain equipment in some installations.

Sounds like the iFly equipment is putting out some RF noise (probably out-of-spec).

but, caveat, I'm not an RF SME.

have you tried a different iFly 720?

Last edited:
I have flown 2 different I fly 720 units and now have a iFly 740b unit. Never had any issue with interference from either one. The only issue I've encountered is that I cannot get the serial NEMA information from the iFly 740b to drive the Trio AP. Sent it to Adventure Pilot and they can't find an issue. So I drive the AP with an older Garmin unit. :dunno:

Is your 740 using its internal GPS? I wonder if it would be different if the 740 were connected to an external GPS device like a Stratus.

Back