iFly 700

I really like it, it uses georefd sectionals, tacs, and low enroute charts, is reasonably priced, and the screen blows away the garmins. Update is 69/yr for sectionals, 89/yr if you want low enroutes as well, and you can load it with TFRs and METARs prior to a flight, useful for long xctry. Adventure pilot has been really adding features to it with each software release. Best $500 i have spent so far.

I've seen it and it looks like a good value (and a good business model, if it catches on sufficiently). If they devise an XM WX add-on, they'll print money.

Have used the iFly 700 for about half dozen trips between Houston and Austin. The maps are easy to read, does a good job of keeping track of your position, with the GPS plug in. We used it together with a Garmin G1000, and the tracking is amazing dead-on.

Now that digital maps are freely downloadable from AeroNav has anyone heard of directly uploading these to the 700?

Or possibly a new discounted subscription price model?

Last edited:
I dont think they will lower the price, the price buys you a few other things, not just the charts. METARS, graphical TFRs, airport info/diagrams, approach charts. The geo referenced charts are/have been available from the FAA,which is the source for these devices. the Update package is just a zip file of charts and other information, so you could get around their model fairly easily. However, $69 is cheap for database updates anytime you want, along with weather and TAFs, TFRs etc.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if you don't update the sceen goes blank after 2 month's. Keep that in mind whenn considering a purchase.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if you don't update the sceen goes blank after 2 month's. Keep that in mind whenn considering a purchase.

I believe they go 1 year after expiration, and after that its the vector map, not the sectional.

*Balloon bursts*

I recevied the following response from Adventure Pilot regarding uploading AeroNav digital charts:

"The iFly 700 charts used are extensively modified. This makes loading your own data charts not possible. This could also create vulnerabilities to the system that we may not be able to support".

Still, it's a good buy at the price.

I'm using iPad 3G plus SkyCharts Pro http://skycharts.net/ which costs $20 per year. Gives you moving map, METAR/TAF. $130 more for device itself but you can use iPad for many different things :wink2:

Now that digital maps are freely downloadable from AeroNav has anyone heard of directly uploading these to the 700?

I saw your reply that it's not supported.

Another thing to consider is that only the rasterized sectionals are geo-referenced from AeroNav; the IFR enroute charts are not, so your GPS / app wouldn't know where to 'place you' on the chart.

I've been using my iFly 700 for about 6 months now. Great product. I have been told they are working on geo-referenced app/dep plates and diagrams. Autopilot is coming soon too.

The thing I like best is I don't have to buy and maintain multiple apps or subscriptions. Low cost of ownership for life. I have had AirMap, AV8OR and Garmins and I like my iFly 700 best for everyday use. The owner told me they are working ADS/B that will feed Weather and Traffic without monthly costs, also working on an XM Weather option for those who want that option. The best part is you don't have to buy a new GPS to get these new features. They do it with free software updates. I liked the Go-drive on my AV8OR and they said they have "iFly Streets" about to release that is very similar. I liked it better that TomTom or Garmin's road maps.

Great unit only to keep getting better. The support response time is awesome and they developed it all to they won't pawn you off to a third party app. Just my 2.5 cents.

Back