IflightPlanner (free) - Better than Foreflight?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Just found a new product...wondering if anyone else has tried it. IflightPlanner (http://www.iflightplanner.com/) looks a lot like Foreflight, but it's free.

The main option I love is the ability to save plans and other information on the web, rather than just on your iPad. That way, if your iPad is lost, all your information can simply be retrieved. OR...if you use more than one iPad (e.g., one for back-up in flight), you can share flight plans and data across multiple devices. This seems like a huge Foreflight oversight not to have this feature.

This planner, like Foreflight, seems to have all the bells and whistles, including an interface with www.duats.com.

All this, and a basic but very usable version is FREE.

Anyone else tried it? I have little experience so far!

I have played with it a bit more and like it. One negative: flight planning must be done on the web, not mobile devices. But a new version about to be released fixes this. With that, this product meets the two main gripes of my Foreflight experience: No web clound back up and no PC web flight entry...mobile only...big oversight by Foreflight.

Thanks, Scott. Good comments. They are monitoring these posts so perhaps they will chime in. Competition is a good thing!

After a very quick look, one thing that really stands out is they appear to use vector approach plates, so you can zoom into detailed views with no fuzziness. Downside is they aren't georeferenced, unless that's a premium option. Also, it appears to be an all or nothing on the charts....you can't pick states or regions to download.

Definitely not up to a ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot level...yet.

Wonder how long it'll be before they get sued, too. Noted that AOPA has been sued for patent infringement with respect to the FlyQ flight planner.

if it has the AFD, it's already got a feature over GP.

I see the iOS app, but nothing for Android. So it's not functional in the air with an android tablet such as Nexus? I don't see how an android user would download the sectionals.

Last edited:
Anyone look at FltPlan GO yet? It just got released...has free geo-referenced plates.

One other downside at this point is FBO info is not available unless the FBO has signed up for an advertising contract.

Fltplan GO, while a good and usable FREE Tool, is not in the same league as FF, WX, or GP. It would be a OK for someone looking for a free alternative or perhaps a "spare".

One other downside at this point is FBO info is not available unless the FBO has signed up for an advertising contract.

Hi Lorne,

Just in the last two weeks we have begun the process of adding basic FBO information to our A/FD (with fuel prices) regardless of whether or not the FBO has chosen to upgrade to a Premium listing.

This process is happening more or less alphabetically by state and we simply haven't made it to Minnesota just yet. However, if you or anyone has an FBO that they would like to see added, please send us a contact message via the site and we'll get ahold of them ASAP!

Looking forward to continuing the conversation!

Best,
Andy

I just signed up to try it out as well Andy. Nice to see developers monitoring the pilot forums for input/feedback...

I just signed up to try it out as well Andy. Nice to see developers monitoring the pilot forums for input/feedback...

Absolutely! Whether it be here in the forums or directly through iFlightPlanner, we welcome the open dialogue. As you dive in to the products, please don't hesitate to let us know if you have a question, comment or an idea for a new feature you would like us to consider!

Best,
Andy

Andy,
thanks for listening here.

Is it realistic to have audible annunciations via bluetooth? For example if we're approaching a waypoint or variance from entered altitude, timer triggered, etc.?

Last edited:
Andy,
thanks for listening here.

Is it realistic to have audible annunciations via bluetooth? For example if we're approaching a waypoint or variance from entered altitude, timer triggered, etc.?

Universal compatibility can be tricky as every headset's Bluetooth protocols can differ, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility! iFlightPlanner for iPad v2.0 (which we demo'd at AirVenture and is in the final stages of development) will feature a cockpit voice recorder along with the in-app planning VWGhiaBob alluded to earlier. The CVR obviously sets the stage for us to introduce more audio functionality in future versions of the app. The only limitations are our collective imaginations, time and pilot demand!

With that being said, I love the idea and it's been duly noted! Know that every new feature is the direct result of member feedback and we prioritize our development according to the 'buzz' generated by each one, so keep it coming!

Best,
Andy

Universal compatibility can be tricky as every headset's Bluetooth protocols can differ, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility! iFlightPlanner for iPad v2.0 (which we demo'd at AirVenture and is in the final stages of development) will feature a cockpit voice recorder along with the in-app planning VWGhiaBob alluded to earlier. The CVR obviously sets the stage for us to introduce more audio functionality in future versions of the app. The only limitations are our collective imaginations, time and pilot demand!

With that being said, I love the idea and it's been duly noted! Know that every new feature is the direct result of member feedback and we prioritize our development according to the 'buzz' generated by each one, so keep it coming!

Best,
Andy

At what point would you like a review in one of the national homebuilt aircraft magazines? Now, three months from now, a year, never? I only usually get one shot at it.

Thanks,

Jim

At what point would you like a review in one of the national homebuilt aircraft magazines? Now, three months from now, a year, never? I only usually get one shot at it.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the offer, we will definitely take you up on that opportunity! iFlightPlanner has a number of features that I think the homebuilt aircraft community would appreciate, especially as it relates to the customization of aircraft profiles.

I've sent a Private Message in hopes that we can connect and talk more!

Best,
Andy

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the offer, we will definitely take you up on that opportunity! iFlightPlanner has a number of features that I think the homebuilt aircraft community would appreciate, especially as it relates to the customization of aircraft profiles.

I've sent a Private Message in hopes that we can connect and talk more!

Best,
Andy

Thanks, Andy, but when I do a review, I buy/acquire the parts through an undisclosed source so that I get what everybody else gets and thus can do an unbiased review. I don't do puff and I don't do hatchet. I try my level best to let the engineer speak his piece about what I see "in the box".

THanks,

Jim

Back