En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
I F F

What is it?
M-55.jpg

Last edited:
military term for "your transponder" :) Stands for "Identification, Friend or Foe"
Military transponders have another mode beyond civilian transponders called Mode 4, which includes an encryption scheme layered on top of your discrete code. If your key doesn't match the code of the day, you don't get positively ID'ed as "Friend" (doesn't automatically make you "Foe", however), just unconfirmed.

Read more here http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/iff.htm

Caveat: my info from 1950s technology flown in the 1970s

Last edited:
Thanks Greg, but due to 80's technology in the 00's the attachment was not attaching during the initial edit.

It appears to be working now....may be you saw one of these on patrol...

Steve said:
Thanks Greg, but due to 80's technology in the 00's the attachment was not attaching during the initial edit.

A Commie U2...

high aspect wing twin boom T tail? I have to wonder how that thing would handle, particularly at the alt as suggested by the wing plan form.

Hi Wing? Stinson Sentinal.

Steve said:

D'oh!!! I oughta delete my dufus post about IFF now ... :redface:

Never saw anything like that on radar :p "little green blips" and don't recall seeing anything like that in threat ID classes, either...

Velly Intellesting!!! :D

Last edited:
gkainz said:
D'oh!!! I oughta delete my dufus post about IFF now ... :redface:

Never saw anything like that on radar :p "little green blips" and don't recall seeing anything like that in threat ID classes, either...

Velly Intellesting!!! :D

When i read the post i thought the same, but 6 years of relateing IFF to the mode 4, and loading kit 1 C with the turbulance of a chinook, its only natural to think that way.

As should be expected from the master!

This is actually a "civilian" version of the M-55 called the "Geophysica". And yes there is apparent U-2 influence in there.

Pilawt said:

I'm devious that way.

A doff of the hat to those who serve without the recognition of those they serve.

n20junkie said:
When i read the post i thought the same, but 6 years of relateing IFF to the mode 4, and loading kit 1 C with the turbulance of a chinook, its only natural to think that way.

Here's another odd one...

4engine.jpg

Last edited:
Back