IFD540 Keyboard - anyone use it?

ChiefPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChiefPilot
I purchased an IFD540 for my RV but have yet to install it. I did fill out their online registration though and after a week got my Avidyne keyboard for the unit. It's an Avidyne-specific mini keyboard that lets you do stuff on the unit with it rather than using the alternatives (built-in knobs, built-in touch screen, or iPad app). Even after watching the video below, I'm having a hard time visualizing how useful it might be.

Anyone have one of these and find it useful? Is it just a gimmick or do you find it's easier to use that the unit itself?

I have an IFD 540 in my Bo as well. We have not got the blue tooth keyboard yet but will because its free. I was wondering the same thing that you are. Off the top of my head it would keep greasy fingers off the touch screen. One of the downsides of touch screens IMHO is that the grease from your fingers gets on the screen and reflects sunlight, sometimes making the screen hard to read ( keep in mind in the Bo my screen is to the right of center). I'd guess it also allows a pax in the back seat who knows what they are doing to help with inflight planning but I never felt I needed that much assistance. In turbulent air it may also be easier to use the key board held tightly on your lap that program with your fingers bouncing off the screen. Other than that if you figure something else out please let me know.

It's ok, but limited to use right now until 10.2 comes out.

Back