If you're flying a Garmin GTN-series IFR, watch this video...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Is this the behavior you'd expect? I think it would have caught me by surprise. Nice to know a workaround ahead of time.

Thank you. I hadn't encountered that yet. But that would have been very irritating to not know about....in busy space.

I had this problem last Saturday coming back to KRHV. I fixed it by deleting previous destination from the flight plan. Really annoying.
Thanks for posting it.

Although it would be simpler if it automatically switched to the current airport on the direct-to function when the waypoint is an airport, you can press the airport on the procedure page and change it to the new airport and go from there. I wouldn't expect the airport to change in the procedure dialog if I selected a non airport as the direct-to waypoint.

Do you know if this applies to the G1000?

I'm going to have to see how this differs from other Garmins. I THINK that when you select DIRECT to an airport in the 430/530/G1000 that the PROC key loads approaches for that airport, but that may only be if there wasn't another flight plan already active.

That's exactly how it works for all the FMSs I've used. You can go direct to any airport you please, but until you change the last airport in your flight plan (UNS-1) or the FPN Destination airport (FMS3000) it won't change the available approaches.

That is strange, though, that 1) Garmin didn't know about that functionality, and that 2) it differs among their various products.

That's exactly how it works for all the FMSs I've used. You can go direct to any airport you please, but until you change the last airport in your flight plan (UNS-1) or the FPN Destination airport (FMS3000) it won't change the available approaches.

That is strange, though, that 1) Garmin didn't know about that functionality, and that 2) it differs among their various products.

This guy has another video about a missing course reversal depiction... Garmin has told him they are fixing that one, but hasn't communicated anything to him (yet) about this one.

Here's the "course reversal issue" (different than the issue in the original post):

Last edited:
Back