If you know, you know

It’s actually not Texas toast. The owner said they were trying a new deli bread and frankly I’m not sure what it was but it made a good sandwich.

I don't know. I suppose it is possible to make okra tasty, but I just haven't seen it..
Yep. You just haven't seen it.

We grow Okra. When it's about 4 inches long harvest it, cut it into about 1/2inch pieces, shake it up with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and bake it at 400degrees for about 30 minutes and it is great. Sometimes I shake a little grated parmesan cheese over it as soon as it comes out of the oven and it is as good as it gets. It tastes as good as fried without the "fried".

When I was growing up all I knew was slimy boiled okra. I hated it with a passion.

Sandwich looks good not crazy about the Okra,though they say anything fried tastes good.

We grow Okra. When it's about 4 inches long harvest it, cut it into about 1/2inch pieces, shake it up with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and bake it at 400degrees for about 30 minutes and it is great. Sometimes I shake a little grated parmesan cheese over it as soon as it comes out of the oven and it is as good as it gets. It tastes as good as fried without the "fried".

When I was growing up all I knew was slimy boiled okra. I hated it with a passion.
I tried pickled okra for the first time not long ago and it was quite good too.

We should be eating them. They keep attacking boats. FAFO.
I don't blame them. We have effectively killed off a huge part of their food supply.

We do something similar, but leave it whole. Not quite as crispy, but at least a variation on the typical fried version. We go through quite a bit of okra every year and my wife even cans it for the offseason. It's good stuff... Fried... Broiled... Boiled... Pickled (try spicy pickled okra. yw)... Gumbo'ed.. it's all good.

Dammit. I'm supposed to be on a diet AND a budget. Now I want to fly to LZU for $400 Reuben.
It may be an excellent sandwich, but it's not a Reuben unless it's rye bread.

Okra is not served often up here in the Upper Far-Left corner of the lower 48, but in the south I've had whole pickled, fried nuggets, and gumbo'd. All are excellent. Many preparations are slimy.

I've also heard, but never tested cutting then soaking in buttermilk to reduce sliminess.

Next time I see okra at the grocers, I'll pick some up and try the above prep. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh I miss fried okra (and real southern sweet tea). None of that good stuff north of the border unfortunately. Luckily we're heading south soon to escape winter. I'll be living on fried okra and Milo's tea for a few weeks again lol.

You know that sweet tea is just regular tea with a ton of sugar added after it's brewed, right? Keep adding sugar until it looks like it won't dissolve anymore, then add a little more.

I think I'm going to derail this thread. It's not that I don't like okra, I do. I won't go out of my way for it, but I won't turn it down either. I'm thinking rhubarb. How can such a god-awful sour celery stalk taste so yummy when it is boiled and rendered with a ton of sugar and placed in a pie? I never see rhubarb pies here. They are a thing in the midwest where I grew up. Okay where I was born, I didn't actually grow up there.

You know that sweet tea is just regular tea with a ton of sugar added after it's brewed, right? Keep adding sugar until it looks like it won't dissolve anymore, then add a little more.

Tried that. Never comes out right for some reason.

I have to admit though that as soon as I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of this song.

Yeah, me too. Also had to be real careful when eating the slimy thing while standing up.

Because it could slip straight through and out the other end....

all I knew was slimy boiled okra.
I actually have had pickled okra, cooked that was pretty good.

My first life experience with okra was in Nigeria. Their idea of good was if it was still stuck to the bowl of soup AND the spoon when it got to your mouth. I did not like. They have different "cuisine" to say the least.

I'm sure if it was fixed like you mentioned it would be good. I'm always willing to try!

Back