If you had $500,000

rpadula said:
Lotsa Mooney replies but none for the newest speedster: the Acclaim!

It's on the cover of AOPA Pilot in all its bright red glory. 237kts and $495,000. Just under the limit.

-Rich
Problem: That plane is not made for grass.

N2212R said:
Problem: That plane is not made for grass.

Ed, I know it is high wing, but what a high wing it is. You NEED a 185. Major cajones, hauls weight, goes reasonably fast, can be configured with floats, amphibs, skis, you name it.

I might even talk myself into one...

flyingcheesehead said:
New Piper Archer with glass: $292,260. 125kts (being generous, it's got a new cowl),

That is not being generous. Our club Archer III trues out at 128kts @ 9-10000 and 2600.

Bill Jennings said:
Ed, I know it is high wing...

La la la la la la la la la la I can't heeeeeeeaaaaaaaar yoooooouuuuuuuu.:D

Hey wow, now I know what it's like to be a Chicago Approach controller.:rofl:

RotaryWingBob said:
The same R44 I'm buying with three other guys, except it would be MINE, ALL MINE HaHaHaHa!

Is that diabolical laughter I hear Bob? :D

Maybe you could arrange.....No nevermind.

I think the Bonanza would be a good choice. I would rather have the Bo landing gear rather than the Mooney's for grass.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
La la la la la la la la la la I can't heeeeeeeaaaaaaaar yoooooouuuuuuuu.:D

Hey wow, now I know what it's like to be a Chicago Approach controller.:rofl:

Whatever, but if you got past that, it would be a great plane for your type of use.

Bill Jennings said:
Whatever, but if you got past that, it would be a great plane for your type of use.

I can't get a 185 for under $100k. Plenty of Comanches out there for under that.

Bill Jennings said:
Ed, I know it is high wing, but what a high wing it is. You NEED a 185. Major cajones, hauls weight, goes reasonably fast, can be configured with floats, amphibs, skis, you name it.

I might even talk myself into one...

Ok, but get good instruction in it. The 185s and the Ag variants of the Cessnas will come around and bite if you don't pay attention to every landing. They are not forgiving of inattention, and keeping the tailwheel in proper rig an condition is vital and I recommend a locking tailwheel. They are a great airplane, but they don't make em new anymore.

Could be kinda cool, reminds me of the old Marchetti retractable floats. But those retractable tip floats -up or down for landings? I heard they were problematic on the PBYs.

Henning said:
Yeah, I think you should spend more time looking over your options.:rolleyes:

I think I'd meld a set of 421C wings to an AT-802 fuse preferably or a Drom if on a hard budget, remove the hopper and build a nice forward club seating with fold downs for sleepers. 4 seats with lav & Galley. Next is to fit the deisel burning Wankels that the Navy is using on their outboard applications, gear them down and swing long meaty props and potentially running 4 rotors. Have to move the gear in the wing, make the TW retract and clean up the plane overall as well as rearrainge the cockpit (they're pretty fair sized) for staggered side by side to allow pilot transfer down front to the cabin. I could build that for less than half a mil. If I had more, I'd probably just scavenge the gear out of those wings and build the NASA foil that the LanceAir IV uses, fully wet and which would have fold down floats/tip tanks and a retractable float molded to the bottom of the fuse. It forms the fuse and tank tucked behind the cabin and below the cockpit and empenage that goes down and forward on a set of parallel links to make it amphibious. On the left side of the panel goes the Chelton EFIS with terrain above an MX 20. A slim double stack of engine instrumentation to the right of that above the fuel management panel. On the right side of that is the radio stack with an MX 20, 480 and 530. The only add on I would get is the radar. On the very right would be a standard six pack with HSI. The switchology would all be set HOTAS or dang close to it.

300+ kt cruise, amphibious, deisel/JetA/JP4 burning non-turbine engine, legs to cross the Pacific (which means world wide range), comfort to handle sustained long range operations, well built for surviveability and streamlined for efficiency. There would also be the head turning factor.

But I haven't thought it over to much either.

All I want is something aerobatic with STOL capabilites and a cruise speed of at least 100 knots. Oh yeah. It needs to be pretty cheap. Or I need to find someone who would want to partner on such.

Would an Aerobat do it for ya Jesse?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Could be kinda cool, reminds me of the old Marchetti retractable floats. But those retractable tip floats -up or down for landings? I heard they were problematic on the PBYs.

Yeah, when you want to keep things clean things do tend towards problematic, you just have to accept it to an extent and just manage it. The key advntages I have now they didn't have then is Delrin and that branch of materials to make bearings and bushes out of and composite components. Down for water landings, up when landing feet dry. I'd look to get it to operate in a pretty good swell.

Henning said:
I think I'd meld a set of 421C wings to an AT-802 fuse preferably or a Drom if on a hard budget, remove the hopper and build a nice forward club seating with fold downs for sleepers. 4 seats with lav & Galley. Next is to fit the deisel burning Wankels that the Navy is using on their outboard applications, gear them down and swing long meaty props and potentially running 4 rotors. Have to move the gear in the wing, make the TW retract and clean up the plane overall as well as rearrainge the cockpit (they're pretty fair sized) for staggered side by side to allow pilot transfer down front to the cabin. I could build that for less than half a mil. If I had more, I'd probably just scavenge the gear out of those wings and build the NASA foil that the LanceAir IV uses, fully wet and which would have fold down floats/tip tanks and a retractable float molded to the bottom of the fuse. It forms the fuse and tank tucked behind the cabin and below the cockpit and empenage that goes down and forward on a set of parallel links to make it amphibious. On the left side of the panel goes the Chelton EFIS with terrain above an MX 20. A slim double stack of engine instrumentation to the right of that above the fuel management panel. On the right side of that is the radio stack with an MX 20, 480 and 530. The only add on I would get is the radar. On the very right would be a standard six pack with HSI. The switchology would all be set HOTAS or dang close to it.

300+ kt cruise, amphibious, deisel/JetA/JP4 burning non-turbine engine, legs to cross the Pacific (which means world wide range), comfort to handle sustained long range operations, well built for surviveability and streamlined for efficiency. There would also be the head turning factor.

But I haven't thought it over to much either.

Let me know when it goes into production. Sounds perfect.

N2212R said:
Would an Aerobat do it for ya Jesse?

Yes..Actually an Aerobat would be perfect.....

I'd be 500K richer. Don't need another airplane because I've already got the best Mooney ever built (the 252), I fly a really neat turboprop (Beech 300) and I'm moving into an incredible intercontinental bizjet (the Challenger 604/5). Can I have that in small bills please? :D

jdwatson said:
Let me know when it goes into production. Sounds perfect.

Just so happens I'm taking $750,000 deposits with a year and a half delivery estimte as we speak.:D (Serious though...)

Henning said:
Just so happens I'm taking $750,000 deposits with a year and a half delivery estimte as we speak.:D (Serious though...)

Funny thing is, I no longer doubt you could do it!

Back