If you go to pilotsofamerica.com and don't get the new forums...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
...try this.

This is for windows users. If someone can give comparable mac instructions, great.

Click Start
Click Run
In the run program window, type cmd and press enter. A black window (command line prompt) will open.
In the black window, type the following:
ipconfig /flushdns
And push enter
After that, type exit and press enter. The black window will vanish.

Now try again to go to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com - if you come directly here, it worked. ;)

The above instructions are intended to force your computer to reload the numeric address for the POA site without waiting the full week it might otherwise take.

Sorry, it did not work on this computer. I am still getting the redirect message.

Sorry, it did not work on this computer. I am still getting the redirect message.

Same for me at the office today. I suspect that the new info hasn't reached the company network gateway yet.

BTW ping returns 216.196.69.202 for PoA.com and 64.13.232.124 for PoA.net. Also FWIW, PoA.com doesn't reply to ping but PoA.net does.

-lance

Chuck,

That's probably not going to work for anyone. The problem is due to their name server caching the record. Unless their IT department (or ISP) clears the record the only other fix for this is waiting the week.

Ok, I get the .net site with the login box and when clicking the [login] box

In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist.

I think the login box is still on .com and tehevery is .net or vice versa...

Hey, did you know that pilotsofamerica only has one e in it?

yeah, so do I, but apparently my fat fingers didn't when I updated the whitelist...

.pilotsofameerica.com --> not much help...

Hey, did you know that pilotsofamerica only has one e in it?

yeah, so do I, but apparently my fat fingers didn't when I updated the whitelist...

.pilotsofameerica.com --> not much help...

:goofy: Been there. It's hard to do this stuff for a living when you can't type and what you can hunt and peck goes through dyslexic fingers. That's why it was vital for me to have command line recall and editing and spell check wherever possible.

"These #$%^& computer do exactly what you tell them to. Not what you want."

"I asked my computer it's name. It said, 'Wizputer' I said, 'Spell it.' It said, 'I-T.'"

From 1330 to 1348, it was constant timeouts. During the same period, I had uninterupted stream from live atc.net on the aircard.

From 1330 to 1354, it was constant timeouts. During the same period, I had uninterupted stream from live atc.net on the aircard.

From 1330 to 1357, it was constant timeouts. During the same period, I had uninterupted stream from live atc.net on the aircard.

Yep, slow even now.

New servers can be such teases... :D

Well, the plan right now is to test the new server for a month.

At the end of the month, we'll be looking back at how well it has performed.

If we're suffering from the 5 minute freezes (which I haven't seen yet), or response time is horribly diminished, we'll probably go back.

However, if the performance is a little slower sometimes, but we're not getting frozen up so frequently, odds are we'll stay here. 60% savings is nothing we can afford to sneeze at.

Update. Here on my laptop computer on a hotel T-Mobile connection the automatic redirect to .net happens. I won't be able to try my home computer which is connected to Earthlink DSL again until Friday.

Update. Here on my laptop computer on a hotel T-Mobile connection the automatic redirect to .net happens. I won't be able to try my home computer which is connected to Earthlink DSL again until Friday.

If the DNS server had not queried POA in the last week this would be the result. The DNS server that you were using probably doesn't have any POA users. The only server's that are going to provide the old record are the ones that cached it.

There really is no reason to have a TTL of more then a couple of hours. Yes--it's increased traffic--but unless your Google decreasing your traffic isn't worth hosing your site for the entire length of your TLL.

If the DNS server had not queried POA in the last week this would be the result. The DNS server that you were using probably doesn't have any POA users. The only server's that are going to provide the old record are the ones that cached it.

There really is no reason to have a TTL of more then a couple of hours. Yes--it's increased traffic--but unless your Google decreasing your traffic isn't worth hosing your site for the entire length of your TLL.

Well, there is - if you're a DNS server operator on a larger scale such as godaddy or mediatemple. The DNS server op probably wouldn't mind, when servers are pretty fixed in their IPs, if they DIDN'T get hits from the same computer every half hour for the same address they've checked every half hour for months...

Well, there is - if you're a DNS server operator on a larger scale such as godaddy or mediatemple. The DNS server op probably wouldn't mind, when servers are pretty fixed in their IPs, if they DIDN'T get hits from the same computer every half hour for the same address they've checked every half hour for months...

Of course they wouldn't mind. They don't care if your stuff is available or not. But when you do care--you realize that you never know when you may have to shift IP space and an extremely long TTL is just *not* worth it.

Take a look at some of the big players. Google.com uses a TTL of 300 seconds. Do you think Google has a *LOT* of DNS traffic? Yeah. How much money could they save with a higher TTL *TONS*.

It's possible that Google also does it for load balancing. But really, what I'm getting at is, it's just usually not worth it. In the real world you could be forced to new IP space without warning. Try explaining to customers or management that your products may or may not work for the next week.

Last edited:
Jesse it isn't that I don't see your point, I'm just presenting alternate perspectives for consideration.

Back