If you don't like my flying get off the freeway...

If they had found out what type of fuel the Bo uses they would have had hippies chaining themselves to the gear.

I'm curious what the fuel transponder was and how it caused the engine to fail.

Yeah, me too, however, we all know how the media can screw up aviation (and other) terms.

Nice job by the pilot. (who quickly had a buddy bring him 5 gallons of 100LL to put in, and then trouble shoot the fuel system to determine that fuel starvation was not the problem) :D

Seriously, after an engine replacement, I'd hang around the pattern for a while before heading anywhere, like I do after an annual.

One story says a fuel pump. One says a fuel line. One says a transducer.

The non-aviation fuel flow transducers I have seen apart all have an impeller in them that theoretically could jam up and partially block the fuel flow. Looks like certified units have a pressure drop requirement with a blocked impeller, though.

http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2012/11/beech-35-a33-n425t-aircraft-force.html
Mares said a new engine had just been installed in the plane and he was taking the aircraft for a test flight from the Rio Linda Airport when the engine malfunctioned and he had to set the plane down.

e93d694580f2ca676b8e44d1ddb0b36a.jpg

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 425T Make/Model: BE35 Description: 35 Bonanza
Date: 11/14/2012 Time: 1835

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: None

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED ON A HIGHWAY MEDIAN, NEAR ROCKLIN, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SACRAMENTO, CA (WP25) Entry date: 11/15/2012

the miracle was in the quote "he found a pocket on the highway with no traffic" ... that NEVER happens in CA!

The other funny oops (I think an oops) was when the reporter said the pilot sent him a text after landing at Lincoln and said "no more runway landings for me" ... I assume he meant "no more freeway landings" but maybe not! Maybe freeway landings are so much easier than runways, he's just going to run down to CA DMV and buy plates for it and use the freeways now!

Last edited:
I wish we could see from behind the plane. Did he have to fly under a light? How far away was the roadway sign he had to clear?

I wish we could see from behind the plane. Did he have to fly under a light? How far away was the roadway sign he had to clear?

I-65 is about as wide open and unobstructed as freeways get in that stretch. He was fairly close to the Lincoln airport. He landed in the median, and the lights were off on the shoulder. The video is deceptive, those lights are well off the paved area.

There are airports with paved runways that don't look as good as the grass median that he landed on.

It's a good thing he landed before that overpass, though.

roseville-plane.jpg

I learned to fly in ND where roads were an acceptable option if no airport nearby. Flew to a wedding in a small town, landed on the highway and parked at the John Deere dealer. Called sheriff ahead of time so no would freak out.

Yeah, me too, however, we all know how the media can screw up aviation (and other) terms.

Nice job by the pilot. (who quickly had a buddy bring him 5 gallons of 100LL to put in, and then trouble shoot the fuel system to determine that fuel starvation was not the problem) :D

Seriously, after an engine replacement, I'd hang around the pattern for a while before heading anywhere, like I do after an annual.

That is fancy speak for he took off with no fuel because the fuel gages weren't working. :lol:

Glad it turned out well, we all make mistakes. Except me of course. :dunno:

What's the proper request to stop at Wendys?

Approach Cessna XXXXX, requesting visual approach I95 Exit 18 Wendys Drivethrough.

There is no proper request to stop at Wendy's. It's quite bad for you and could lead to a loss of your medical.

Opt for Burger King or Carl's Jr. (Hardee's to you) as they are flame broiled.

Back