If I had $49.5K...

Airframe: 2360 Hours since New

Time since Complete Restoration: 110 Hours

Becareful.. :::::::::::;;;

Engine: (Franklin 150 HP) 110 Hours SMOH

Aircraft looks good but price seems high for this aircraft. My question is is this a show winning aircraft. It needs to be for that amount of money.

I ran a check on the aircraft and it has a clean record per the offical records. However the logbooks will tell the whole story about the aircraft. If you are serious about the aircraft a trip to Texas is in order to check the logbooks.

Staceh

sere said:
Aircraft looks good but price seems high for this aircraft. My question is is this a show winning aircraft. It needs to be for that amount of money.

Show me the price on a fully restored aircraft that is lower. Do you know why fully restored aircraft cost sooooo much?

because they are worth it.

forbiding an accident, you will spend a lot less money over the ownership than you will trying to find an aircraft that is in great condition and trying to keep it that way.

The Money has already been spent,,, pay me now, or pay me later.

NC19143 said:
Airframe: 2360 Hours since New

Time since Complete Restoration: 110 Hours

Becareful.. :::::::::::;;;

Engine: (Franklin 150 HP) 110 Hours SMOH

Tom,

Why your advice to be careful? Full rebuilds are what you do, right? If the rebuild is done right, does it matter that the airframe is low time (for it's age) and might not have flown in a while?

Or is the concern the engine? I think I'd be more concerned with 0 SMOH than 110 SMOH. Now I can see what the oil burn is and oil analysis says after running for 100+ hours.

Educate me, please. I agree that the cost is "high" in comparison to other Stinson's out there, and I don't have the money for this one anyway, but like you said in another post, the money to improve it has already been spent--if it was done right, this should be a low-cost airplane as far as ongoing maintenance goes, as it shouldn't need a lot more than what it's already received.

Last edited:
0 Since major isn't worth the paper it is written on in the case of these old engines.

the Franklin engines are gaining a better ability to be overhauled, but the 150 horse is not a favorite child in this manor, parts are getting very difficult to find. the 165 is much easier to support than the 150, they are not the same engine.

Tired iron syndrom is the metal fatuge taking effect. Pete, And Dee own and operate a 150 horse, they lost a valve rocker arm after a resent overhaul, they have been over a year getting the engine back into operation.

I would have up graded to the 0-320-150 horse and been done with it. but that is big bucks, and the Franks are sweet motors when they run.

Go to the "S/W Stinson club" web page and ask all the stinson questions you like and get first hand info from the owners

NC19143 said:
0 Since major isn't worth the paper it is written on in the case of these old engines.

the Franklin engines are gaining a better ability to be overhauled, but the 150 horse is not a favorite child in this manor, parts are getting very difficult to find. the 165 is much easier to support than the 150, they are not the same engine.

Cool, thanks for elaborating. I'd rather have 165hp anyway... My 250# frame could use it! I need to get a chance to fly/sit in one anyway... I just like the classic lines.

Troy Whistman said:
My 250# frame could use it!

Get an Apache, Aztec, Twin Bo, and take a few friends to share expenses.

NC19143 said:
Show me the price on a fully restored aircraft that is lower. Do you know why fully restored aircraft cost sooooo much?

because they are worth it.

forbiding an accident, you will spend a lot less money over the ownership than you will trying to find an aircraft that is in great condition and trying to keep it that way.

The Money has already been spent,,, pay me now, or pay me later.

I agree that a fully restored aircraft is worth more money but I know of several Piper Tri-Pacers, and Pacer that will out perform this plane and cost less than 49k. Unless this is a show stopper, award quality plane it should only bring 30 up to maybe 40k. I am rebuilting a 56 Tri-Pacer in total and would love to get 49 k when I am done but know that to get that it must be a show bird. One pacer owner in the Short Wing Piper Club has been offered 80k for his bird and it is a grand champion at any event it has ever competed in. So unless this plane has lots of avonics that bring it price up no way in my book.

sere said:
I agree that a fully restored aircraft is worth more money but I know of several Piper Tri-Pacers, and Pacer that will out perform this plane and cost less than 49k. Unless this is a show stopper, award quality plane it should only bring 30 up to maybe 40k. I am rebuilting a 56 Tri-Pacer in total and would love to get 49 k when I am done but know that to get that it must be a show bird. One pacer owner in the Short Wing Piper Club has been offered 80k for his bird and it is a grand champion at any event it has ever competed in. So unless this plane has lots of avonics that bring it price up no way in my book.

Maybe it's just me but if I bought a restoration that someone brought to jaw dropping award quality I would always feel like I'm driving someone elses a/c. Everytime I landed folks would applaud the fine condition of the restoration of which my only part was to plop my money into his hand after completion. I'd always feel like I usurped his accolades. Only through my own fakery could I pretend to bask in that glory even though it was thrust in my face everytime I landed.

sere said:

I don't know why the pipers will not bring the prices that the Stinsons will, but they won't no mater how well restored they are.

The 46, 150 horse Stinson is a great 2 place aircraft. But the 48, 108-3 Station wagon is the one to own. and many of them have been restored and bring high prices. I have seen a 108-3 up graded to the 0-470 bring 90k.

NC19143 said:
I don't know why the pipers will not bring the prices that the Stinsons will, but they won't no mater how well restored they are.

The 46, 150 horse Stinson is a great 2 place aircraft. But the 48, 108-3 Station wagon is the one to own. and many of them have been restored and bring high prices. I have seen a 108-3 up graded to the 0-470 bring 90k.

You got me on that one then. I have no idea either.

sere said:
You got me on that one then. I have no idea either.

My theory is the mystique of the SR series, (gull wing) carry over, ooouuu it's a stinson, Pet the aircraft, say ooouuu & aaaahhh, grin and dream..

Back