IE7 quit working

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
I can open the window but it does not connect to anything.

The diagnostics say this:

Last diagnostic run time: 02/23/08 13:40:28 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com. warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established error Could not make an HTTP connection. info Redirecting user to support call DNS Client Diagnostic DNS - Not a home user scenario info Using Web Proxy: yes No DNS servers DNS failure Gateway Diagnostic Gateway info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server:http=localhost:8080 Proxy Bypass list:<local> info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.2.1 info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.2.102 info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies) info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies) info Skipped gateway connectivity check because of IE proxy configuration IP Layer Diagnostic Corrupted IP routing table info The default route is valid info The loopback route is valid info The local host route is valid info The local subnet route is valid Invalid ARP cache entries action The ARP cache has been flushed IP Configuration Diagnostic Invalid IP address info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.102 Wireless Diagnostic Wireless - Service disabled Wireless - User SSID action User input required: Specify network name or SSID Wireless - First time setup info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = mdmlinksys. Wireless - Radio off info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.102 Wireless - Out of range Wireless - Hardware issue Wireless - Novice user Wireless - Ad-hoc network Wireless - Less preferred Wireless - 802.1x enabled Wireless - Configuration mismatch Wireless - Low SNR WinSock Diagnostic WinSock status info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog. info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid. info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry PropelLSP over [MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]] -> MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry PropelLSP over [MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]] -> MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test. info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers. Network Adapter Diagnostic Network location detection info Using home Internet connection Network adapter identification info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394 info Network connection: Name=EarthLink everskyward@earthlink.net, Device=Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem v60905, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE info Network connection: Name=EarthLink mdmurayama@earthlink.net, Device=Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem v60905, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE info Network connection: Name=Internet Connection, Device=Internet Connection, MediaType=SHARED ACCESS HOST LAN, SubMediaType=NONE info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection action User input required: Select network connection info Wireless connection selected Network adapter status info Network connection status: Connected HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com. info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established error Could not make an HTTP connection.
Also this:
Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).
I don't know how to do this.

Note: Firefox works fine so it's not the connection to the wireless network.

Last edited:
I've had IE quit accessing pages on me a few times on two different computers while Yahoo and other web access was fine. No clue why. I'd reboot and all would be fine.

I'd reboot and all would be fine.
Not the case here. I've never had trouble with IE7 before and I can't figure out what was different from the last time I used it.

I've now tried system restore to a date when I knew it was working. I also tried reinstalling it. None of that works.

Problem solved thanks to markb5900 who let me in the right direction.

Under tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings the box for "Automatically Detect Settings" was not checked and the box for "Use a proxy server..." was checked. I checked the "Automatically Detect Settings" box and unchecked the "Use a proxy server..." box and now everything is back to normal, I hope.

Problem solved thanks to markb5900 who let me in the right direction.

Under tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings the box for "Automatically Detect Settings" was not checked and the box for "Use a proxy server..." was checked. I checked the "Automatically Detect Settings" box and unchecked the "Use a proxy server..." box and now everything is back to normal, I hope.

Whewwwwwwwwwww huh ?? ;)

:blueplane:

Back