Idalia

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
A few good friends and fellow pilots are in the path of this storm. Hang on tight! Prayers for all ...

Appears we're in for the tropical depression part of it over Carolina. Went today to secure the airport by hangaring all the planes possible and checking tie-downs on others. Couple of loose items to secure but overall the place is used to having thunderstorms and gusty winds.

My heart goes out to those taking a direct hit. Went through that 34 years ago with the eye of Hugo coming directly over the house. The devastation was tremendous and finding that you are not really mentally prepared for the aftermath can be unsettling ... especially when being young and having a wife and young children to take care of without power for many days ...

On pine Island Florida.just northwest of Fort Myers. Winds and rain. Nothing compared to Ian, Irma, or Charley. Plane is in shop for annual. Hope it is inside.

Apologies. I normally offer our digs near Knoxville as a respite for those needing to flee the storm. Late to the party, but the offer still stands if anyone needs to escape the damage or extended power outage or whatever.

On pine Island Florida.just northwest of Fort Myers. Winds and rain. Nothing compared to Ian, Irma, or Charley. Plane is in shop for annual. Hope it is inside.
My plane is on the ramp sitting at St. Pete (KSPG). Couldn’t get it out…

I hope it made it okay.

Just a rainy, breezy day here. Pretty bad storm surge along the Big Bend area. Looks like KCDK might be limited to seaplane operations for a while....

Just a rainy, breezy day here. Pretty bad storm surge along the Big Bend area. Looks like KCDK might be limited to seaplane operations for a while....
Again. They got hit pretty hard just, what 3 years ago? Flooded a lot of the ground floor buildings.

Hope it doesn't destroy all their new pavement.

I think water is the big news here because there was also a high lunar tide. Water doesn't care, it will wipe things clean. I know it's only been a few hours, but does anyone know the damage? I expect substantial or complete near the coast, but how far inland?

According to metars near the eye remnants, winds are in the range of 25G40 max. I've observed in past storms that hurricanes that form quickly fall apart quickly and this seems to follow that rule.

Hide from wind, run from water.

I just texted with my nephew. He lives close to St. Pete airport - he said "it was not bad, no flooding and no damage"
Good luck -
Thanks! I appreciate it. I’ve been watching the webcam of SPG, and it has looked okay. Just can’t see far enough down the ramp to actually see my plane.

I have a buddy getting there once TPA opens back up, hopefully he reports good news.

At nearly 3:00pm (we're near Charleston, SC) it is still reported as Cat 1 down in Georgia. We are getting some soaking rain but the winds haven't been bad so far.

It appears what is left of the storm, when it gets here, will pass right over the house ...

We’re heading down to Charleston on the 18th for a week. Mary and I have been following this storm, weather event, hurricane…..whatever they are calling it today.

Stay safe and dry!

looks like St.Pete, Sarasota,and several smaller airports in the Tampa area escaped the rath of the storm.

Saw my plane this afternoon. In the maintenance hangar and though the storm did no damage the annual is going to damage my wallet as bad as a cat 5 hurricane . At least if it was hurricane damage insurance would have helped out. Not so with annual. At least 3 more weeks til I fly it again.

Saw my plane this afternoon. In the maintenance hangar and though the storm did no damage the annual is going to damage my wallet as bad as a cat 5 hurricane . At least if it was hurricane damage insurance would have helped out. Not so with annual. At least 3 more weeks til I fly it again.
Mine is in the hangar now while I do the condition (EX-AB) and the fun has only begun. I always think it will only take a few days but that's never the case. Usually it's because I have to order parts that I didn't forsee needing but this year the tropical storm got in the way. A few more days and we'll be flying again.

For us the storm was much like a long summer thunderstorm with a lot of rain and a few wind gusts up to ~40 mph. Thankful it was mild for us ...

Back