I'd like to see this on Jeopardy

Rough game. They even recock the spring thingie after they get whacked. That's got to be a bit demoralizing after about the 3rd round.
I'll pass..especially if they put the words up in Japanese.

Ken Ibold said:
Hmmm. You think that's funny?

Sure do. But I consider my self a educated man, interested in different cultures and societies. :D:D:D

I find that this demonstration quit clearly identifies the Japanese penchant for perfection and punishment while allowing for only a minimum amount of diversity in thought or expression. It clearly is a game show that would typify the culture of both modern and traditional Japan predating even the Shogun eras with its 'no room for error' approach.

This show should be watched by all, especially American Children as an example of what could happen to them if they do not conform to societal norms such as NOT running up and down the aisles in movie theaters.

;)

smigaldi said:
Sure do. But I consider my self a educated man, interested in different cultures and societies. :D:D:D

I find that this demonstration quit clearly identifies the Japanese penchant for perfection and punishment while allowing for only a minimum amount of diversity in thought or expression. It clearly is a game show that would typify the culture of both modern and traditional Japan predating even the Shogun eras with its 'no room for error' approach.
As an illustration of difference cultural norms, OK. But funny? Sorry. I guess I missed the boat. Just like all those "America's Funniest Home Videos" that are just clip after clip of people getting hurt. I don't see the humor in someone else being in pain.

smigaldi said:

;)

Well said.
It may also be viewed as a desperate but feeble, subconcious expression of a Freudo-Jungian outreach at controling their population problem.

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
As an illustration of difference cultural norms, OK. But funny? Sorry. I guess I missed the boat. Just like all those "America's Funniest Home Videos" that are just clip after clip of people getting hurt. I don't see the humor in someone else being in pain.

Ken the humor is not in the pain but in the fact that these guys subject themselves to it as in the following:

1) Guy falls off the roof of a house while cleaning the gutters - NOT FUNNY

2)Guy falls off the roof of a house while trying to impress his friends by re-enact a scene from fiddler on the roof - FUNNY

Its the sutupidity not the pain thats funny.

Nope, I laughed. There are few things funnier than testicle shots.

Unless they're happening to me.

Funniest thing about it? It's not ME.

I can see the point about the AFV show, though - Dads getting whacked while holding the pinata - not so funny.

Somebody getting a self-inflicted, temporarily painful lesson, especially while being dumb? has a high funny quotient.

Back