Icing info

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there a miscompare here, or am I reading icing info incorrectly?

Attachments

• Icing1.JPG
    Icing1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Icing2.JPG
    Icing2.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 33
I have a friend who is driving back to Fort Worth from New Mexico; they are stopped in Amarillo now; said they have 3" of ice on the ground. I think the analysis is correct. Don't know why they haven't issued Sigmets for the conditions.

Cool, that matches the 2nd image Dave posted, much better:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot018.jpg
    ScreenShot018.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 158
Ah, there are no Icing SIGMETS (red) right now; and the AIRMETS are only shown on G-Airmets now...

I think they need to have the airmets on page 1; it used to be a useful quick-screening tool. I wonder how many will scroll over it quick and conclude 'all is well, let's go'?

Scott D. just did an article on why icing may not show up on the ADDs SIGMET or AIRMET product in Twin & Turbine. Worth a read. Yes, ADDs moved the AIRMETS to a separate page. While I like the new layout, the old format where if there is a lot of stuff you get a heads up was good.

Best,

Dave

...woulda been a challenging flight.....

Attachments

• kpia 17.44.doc
    144.5 KB · Views: 19
That will fix my issue, the map.
Looking at a blank map (when previously it would be blank only if there were no airmets) was the problem.
Thanks

I am writing from the UK (Europe) where we don't have most of the detailed US aviation weather services.

As a very general question: do these "area icing" charts mean very much in practice?

Obviously if you are high enough to be in VMC, then you won't pick up ice. And if you are in IMC, between 0C and about -15C (nonconvective cloud assumed) then icing is IMHO a certainty eventually, so one should not fly in such conditions on a long enroute section unless appropriately de-ice equipped and, if significant convective (in this case embedded TCU/CB ) weather is forecast, radar as well.

I have seen "icing hazard" charts for Europe, most notably here (under Flight Hazards), but they just seem to correlate with where one would obviously expect convective conditions by taking one look at any chart that shows fronts e.g. here.

In between fronts that are say 200nm apart, I don't see how one can reliably forecast where one parcel of air is going to have more supercooled water droplets than another parcel lying say 50nm away. And on the actual location of a front (which is usually pretty obvious from one look at a satellite image) you could draw an area showing an icing hazard and be right 90% of the time :)

Does the above make any sense?

Back