Ice Cooling A/C Units. Which Brand and Why?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Interested in one of those Ice Cooling A/C units and want to buy something in the next few days. I noticed there are 2 guys selling units here and others available on the internet. What are the difference in one guys unit and the next?

I also see things about 12 and 24 volts. I know my airplane has a 24 volt battery system, but I doubt the cigarette lighter is 24 volt, so what is the deal with that?

Has anyone compared these things?

first question is where in the airplane will you put the cooler. that will detemine the size of unit. next question, where in the country will you be flying? how long are your flights and what altitude? if you cruise in the cooler altitudes, you probably only need the cooler on during TO & landing.

I'm glad you asked the questions because I have been wondering the same stuff.

I live in AZ at 1285 msl and its going to be above 100 degrees this weekend.

Would this keep up with AZ summer heat.

They don't appear to he differnt brands I think one sells to the other that is acting like a distributor. I may be wrong though.

first question is where in the airplane will you put the cooler. that will detemine the size of unit. next question, where in the country will you be flying? how long are your flights and what altitude? if you cruise in the cooler altitudes, you probably only need the cooler on during TO & landing.

first question is where in the airplane will you put the cooler.

>> Behind the rear seats in a C182

where in the country will you be flying?

>> Mostly in the North East, with a few trips planned to Montana and Florida.

how long are your flights and what altitude?

>> I tend to keep my flights under 3 hours or close to that.

if you cruise in the cooler altitudes, you probably only need the cooler on during TO & landing.

>> That what I am hoping, but the other day was almost 90 deg and it didn't cool off much at 4-5000 AGL.

I bought the one from Phillip, but I bet both are pretty comparable. I got it late last summer, so I never got a good chance to use it. Honestly, I'd probably go with the one that offers the better price for what you want.

This is just an "outside-the-box" thought that I had and ended up using, because it was just for me most of the time.
I ended up using an RPCM CoolVest. Saved me time, money, allowed me to use it anywhere and had great results. If I have someone else in the plane, I would just have a second vest.

That is just my mission parameters though, and it may be out of bounds in your case. :)

Last edited:
This is just an "outside-the-box" thought that I had and ended up using, because it was just for me most of the time.
I ended up using an RPCM CoolVest. Saved me time, money, allowed me to use it anywhere and had great results. If I have someone else in the plane, I would just have a second vest.

That is just my mission parameters though, and it may be out of bounds in your case. :)

Those are nice, but my priority is actually to make it cooler for my passengers. I can take the extra heat, but I want it to be comfortable for them this summer.

I bought the one from Phillip, but I bet both are pretty comparable. I got it late last summer, so I never got a good chance to use it. Honestly, I'd probably go with the one that offers the better price for what you want.

My problem is that I don't know which one to get or why one is better than the next. There has to be one made better than another or one that cools better than the other etc. Just hoping to find that answer. the price isn't really a important as the quality and performance.

There are three primary units: Arctic Air, Icebox (phillip) and b-kool (bob stephens). Common features:
All three use an insulated cooler such as an igloo or similar.
* High output fan (cfm)
* Radiator or similar for heat transfer
* Water pump (small marine bilge pump) to move water around the system.
* All work on 12v or 24 v.

How they work - you can go to the icebox website for the details, but simple explanation: ice a water at the bottom of the cooler, pump pushes cold water thru the radiator, ambient air enters the cooler from vent A, then is then pushed from the cooler thru the radiator and the cooler air comes out vent B that can be directed. Water from the radiator returns to the bottom of the cooler and the pump cycles the water around. Repeat.

The size of the cooler and cfm (cubic feet/minute on the fan) determine pretty much everything. I'm sure a bunch of posters will chime in about the BTUs and such, but I'm not that interested about it, but you may find it interesting. Phillip (icebox) has all sorts of research, tests, graphs, etc. on his website. But what it really comes down to: The larger the cooler & the better insulated, the more room for ice & water (the coolant) means the longer you'll have cool air. There is really isn't any other magic or criteria.

Arctic Air has 3 different sizes (30, 38 & 52 qts). I forget the size of the Icebox (38-44 qts?), and I think the b-kool is 28-30 qts.

I've tried both icebox & b-kool and my primary consideration is size. Living out west and the type of flying I do means I'm not always near an urban area or airport. As such I carry a fair amount of emergency equipment. In the summer this includes either a 4 or 8 gallon water tank (also works as excellent ballast for CG) as well as the emergency bag, tools, oil, etc. in the baggage area of a cherokee. I can't fit all that and the icebox/arctic air in the baggage area. I've tried. Altho I have a bench back seat, it's not flat, so there's no way to snugly fit the icebox/arctic air.

This is a concern to me because I often fly animal rescues and need one or both areas for crates or dogs on harnesses. Which means the cooler must go on the front right seat. I don't feel comfortable with a cooler the size of icebox/arctic air in the front, even with it strapped down.

I used the icebox last summer on a flight from Denver to Devils Tower (about 3 hours each way, cruised at 9.5/10.5) Used the cooler for takeoff & landings and it was great. But....I didn't have animals or pax with me, didn't need all the gear since I was pretty much following major roads with lots of airports on the way, and I could put the cooler in the baggage area. I'm trying the b-kool unit (physically smaller) but it's May in Colorado and still snowing!

This is why I asked where are you going to put the cooler, and how much room do you have.

Last edited:
A number of us have built our own units and they work well. Ice storage will determine how long it will work. If you care to see the one I built for and idea of what works for me just google n8749 N. lots of detailed pics as to how it was built. I have about 50 bucks in it.

Thanks guys. wish there was more data comparing brands, but maybe not because they are all basically the same thing.

Anyone heard of using an electric cooler as well with the fan setups? walmart igloo 12 volt cooler

Thanks guys. wish there was more data comparing brands, but maybe not because they are all basically the same thing.

Anyone heard of using an electric cooler as well with the fan setups? walmart igloo 12 volt cooler

your turn....go get one and report back. I think you'll find that it works only for items kept inside the cooler. But ya never know.

As for comparisos, check out the icebox site, phillip did extensive testing on thr arctic air and icebox. website has the method used as well as data for comparison.

Build your own. Easily done with parts from your local hardware store. Just go on youtube and find the one that best fits your need.

Build your own. Easily done with parts from your local hardware store. Just go on youtube and find the one that best fits your need.

the one on Instructables doesn't require fiberglass work.

costs:
bilge pump, west marine or walmart $20-25
flex hose for output $10
cooler $20-40
fan $10
tubing for water $10-15
radiator -depends how and where $10-15
electrical wiring, switch and plug $15
misc parts $10

total $105 to 140

how much is your time and effort worth? BTDT

Last edited:
You don't need all that stuff for a redneck AC unit. Most everyone has an old cooler collecting dust in the garage, if not, hit the garage sales and buy one for $5.00. 12v fans can be purchased at any truck stop for $15.00. PVC pipe $5.00. Misc supplies $20.00.
Less than $50.00 bucks.

I've often wondered if these could be made to last longer by coming up with a system to drain the "excess" water. Ice melts faster when floating around.

You don't need all that stuff for a redneck AC unit. Most everyone has an old cooler collecting dust in the garage, if not, hit the garage sales and buy one for $5.00. 12v fans can be purchased at any truck stop for $15.00. PVC pipe $5.00. Misc supplies $20.00.
Less than $50.00 bucks.

Excellent idea! I do software, not hardware, and need the directions & plans.

Our tests indicate that larger coolers dont always mean longer cooling time..problem is larger cooler, means more water which requires more ice to keep the extra water cold.
We tested all size coolers prior to selecting the size we use.

Ours will fit in darn near any airplane. If you really want long time cooling, two of our units used one at a time will truly give you 2x the cooling time. Tested using block ice to exceed 2hours per cooler.

Our approach to larger coolers is to offer a dual cool option where the second unit is discounted. Advantages are running one at a time now will really give you well over 4 hours of ice cold air (40 deg). Run both at the same time and you will freeze ( a good thing in AZ)

Have the flexibility of taking one along, two, depending on the pax and luggage load..
Larger coolers often get left behind due to size

Feel free to contact me at 928-300-4045 if you have questions

Regards

Bob
B-kool.net

I've often wondered if these could be made to last longer by coming up with a system to drain the "excess" water. Ice melts faster when floating around.

That was this winters disappointing, test, we actually built a unit with a second pump to pump out excess water into a remote holding tank..

Results did not warrant the extra expense.

I can offer a pirep on the B-Kool having had ours about a month now with several flights under our belt.

Simply put it works as advertised! My wife and I are very happy with ours and would recommend anybody looking to seriously consider a B-Kool.

I can't speak to the usefulness or quality of build of competing products because I have not seen any other than in pictures on the internet. I am however happy with the build quality and overall appearance of the B-Kool. Having chosen to purchase a working example of a cooler instead of building my own, ascetics was important to me as I could have put something together that worked. Having passengers see a homemade unit with silicone all over it and metal dryer vent with tape, etc., was not what I wanted. Nervous passengers need to see a flying experience that doesn't make them question the nature of me and the way I might maintain the airplane based on a perfectly working but hoakey looking contraption in the plane. The gents at B-Kool have obviously spent the money to buy quality tooling and it shows. The cut outs in the lid for the heater core or whatever it is being used is a perfect cut. The grooves in the top of the lid are perfectly spaced and machined as well. The bilge connection, clip for the hoses near the bilge and general thoughtful planning has resulted in a portable solution to heat that I can be proud to have in my plane.

But does it work? Yes it does, it cools us well. The plane however doesn't get cool really. In other words if you touch something in your plane it won't be cold. But I touch my wife's arm for example and it is very cool to the touch with this thing on. Since buying ours we taxi and do all ground ops with the B-Kool on and the doors, windows, and vents closed. That's pretty good on a hundred degree day in the CA Central Valley.

I hope this helps.

Best

Last edited:
I would like to hear from People renting planes. Do you have any problems with the FBO and them allowing you to use this in their rental aircraft?

http://www.amazon.com/PORTABLE-ARCT...403910711&sr=8-9&keywords=ice+air+conditioner

I bought one of these simply because I'm cheap, so that means I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I'm lazy so I don't want to build one. ... :D

It works pretty good, but there are some tweaks you can do to make any of them cool a lot longer. Like putting block ice instead of store ice, and tweaking the output of the pump water to jet out a certain way instead of just pouring down onto the ice. And you can go further and do 'layering' where you put ice, then a sheet of styrofoam, then ice, then styrofoam, you get the picture. You create an ice sandwich in the box. That'll last all day.

There's a learning curve to these units as simple as they appear ...

Back