Ice chest in airline checked baggage?

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
Can I check an ice chest into an airliner that has dry ice in it? I'm taking food to the Bahamas.

Thanks!

mmmm you;d have to call on that but Why would there be a problem? I once bought live crabs in a cooler on as a carry on. Put them in the over head bin cooler on its side. Never did that again. Thankfully it was only an hour flight from PHL to BOS.

Most airlines, you can...

From AA:
4.4 pounds/ 2 kilograms or less for packing perishables may be carried on board an aircraft in a hard plastic or heavy gauge Styrofoam container, provided the package is vented. Ticket or gate agent must be advised, and a $40 USD/$54 CAD charge (one-way) applies whether checked or carried on.

Continental:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx
Continental Airlines will accept packages containing 5 lbs. (2.2 kg.) or less of dry ice as carry-on baggage or checked baggage. The container or package must be ventilated to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas. The container or package must be marked as containing dry ice and must show the net weight and the identity of the perishable item. Styrofoam coolers containing dry ice will not be accepted.
A $35.00 handling service charge applies to the transportation of dry ice as checked baggage.
Dry Ice in quantities greater than 5 lbs. (2.2 kg.) must be shipped as cargo.

United:
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,50773,00.html#dryice
Allowance/requirements
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The packaging used must allow the release of carbon dioxide gas, must be clearly marked as containing dry ice, and must show the net weight and identify the perishable item being preserved by the dry ice. Each container cannot have more than the maximum allowed per customer. Multiple customers cannot pool their portions together, even within the same traveling party.[/FONT]

It will need be vented.

Will the Bahamas let you bring this carrion....I mean food? US customs can be picky, sometimes with good reason.

Last edited:
I once bought lobsters back from Real Seafood in Boston. Overhead bin but I think it was convention H20 ice. It was not long after the 3oz rule was put in effect and they were confiscating the guys toothpaste in front of me. He turns indignantly and starts to say "hey, you gotta be kidding, this idiot behind me has a box of lobsters for God's sake" At least that is what I am sure he was going to say, but stopped himself at "you gotta be kidding."

Yes, if you follow the rules.

It's done all the time at SAT during huntin' season.

Can I check an ice chest into an airliner that has dry ice in it? I'm taking food to the Bahamas.

Thanks!
Are you aware of the list of don't going into the Bahama? Some fresh fruits, etc. are a problem. You might check the list. Don't know if that's customs or border control of some type in the Bahamas. They took some fresh fruit from me one year.

Best,

Dave

Thanks everyone. I am going to a condo that is owned by an old high school friend.

He claims that he brings in food all the time. I am going to try, but I guess I'll just use ice.

Best,
Karl

Most airlines, you can...

<SNIP>
Will the Bahamas let you bring this carrion....I mean food? US customs can be picky, sometimes with good reason.

Are you aware of the list of don't going into the Bahama? Some fresh fruits, etc. are a problem. You might check the list. Don't know if that's customs or border control of some type in the Bahamas. They took some fresh fruit from me one year.

Best,

Dave

Thanks everyone. I am going to a condo that is owned by an old high school friend.

He claims that he brings in food all the time. I am going to try, but I guess I'll just use ice.

Best,
Karl

you all missed the pun :smile:

Oh Cap't!

I didn't miss the "carrion," very clever!

That is probably just what the steaks will be by the time they hit Nassau.

Thanks.

Back