ICAO Flight Plan Form Equipment Codes

Walboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Walboy

Last edited:
The way I checked my choices of ICAO codes was to email fltplan.com. They answered quickly, and they have some good experts too.

Does anyone know if you are required to carry a copy of the Garmin LOA's onboard to legally fly RNAV SID's STARs etc.?

The B2 code for PBN, I believe, says that you have gps navigation that is good enough for en-route use at +/-5 miles accuracy. I think if you list C2 and D2, which require 2 mile and 1 mile accuracy respectively, you should certainly also list the less demanding B2.

As to what difference it makes to ATC in the US, I have no idea.

I'd just follow the fltplan guide, it's worked great for both the work planes and my planes, in both the US and Canada

From FltPlan.com's website, with respect to PBN it says,

"Most GA Piston and Turboprops aircraft with GPS capable of RNAV SIDs & STARs will be B2, C2, D2"

C2 corresponds to RNAV 1 capability as it relates to T routes
D2 corresponds to RNAV 2 capability as it relates to SIDs and STARs

What I can't figure out is what B2 refers to. Can anyone explain this? Garmin refers to it as operations in Europe.

So piecing things together, I need add in Block 18 "Other Information" PBN/B2C2D2

Below is a link to a table from the FAA which shows performance based compliance from different airplane and avionics manufacturers. Garmin equipment is in Table 8 which starts on page 56. The table confirms GTNs fit into RNAV1 and RNAV2 as far as the FAA is concerned.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fs/afs400/afs470/media/AC90-100compliance.pdf

Your equipment qualifies for B2, C2, D2, S2 and maybe a few others. I used to specify all that stuff, but after a few years of providing consulting support to those filing ICAO flightplans, I now recommend only filing D2.

B2 is RNAV 5 and only used in Europe. If you are flying to Europe, it makes a difference.
C2 is RNAV 2 and appropriate for flying T and Q routes, but it is not needed and makes absolutely no difference whether you use it or not if you specify G in field 10.
D2 is RNAV 1 and appropriate for filing or being cleared to use RNAV SIDs/STARs. If you don't specify this and file an RNAV SID/STAR, your flightplan will be rejected. This is the only code that has any affect what so ever on the services you will receive or not receive from ATC.
S2 indicates the ability to fly RNAV (GPS) approaches with LNAV or LNAV/VNAV minimums. However, it has no effect on filing a flightplan or obtaining an ATC clearance for such an approach.

So for your equipment,

I recommend filing in field 10 the following ICAO Equipment Codes: S, B, G, R and the following PBN code: D2. For ICAO surveillance, I would code C, U2.

If you want to be more complete, you can add the following ADS-B specific codes in field 18 (Other Information):
SUR/282B this indicates your ADS-B is 2020 compliant and based on UAT
CODE/Ahhhhh where Ahhhhh is your 6 Hex digit value of your ICAO Aircraft ID. The value may be found in your registration information and is unique to your N number. It is loaded by the installer into your GDL88. If you PM me your N number, I will PM your code. My N number is N7083N and my code is A97514. The codes are public information.

B - LPV (APV with SBAS).

APPROACH WITH VERTICAL GUIDANCE
(APV)– A term used to describe RNAV approach
procedures that provide lateral and vertical guidance
but do not meet the requirements to be considered a
precision approach.

Your copy of the AIM must have a typo. Mine is the current version as of 5-26-2016 and downloaded from the FAA Publications site and I copied what table 5-1-4 has in it for the the entry for B.

"B - LPV (APV with SBAS)"

Back