IBC (and I'm not talking about root beer)

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
A friend sent this to us to watch... none of the women in the family had ever heard of "Inflammatory Breast Cancer". There are no lumps to detect... you think you have a bug bite or rash, and many doctors treat it as such--with an antibiotic or cream. Then it's too late.

Good info here; felt it should be shared. Knowledge is power.

http://www.komonews.com/ibc/

* Note: the komonews.com link above has some follow-on videos and material they assembled.

I learned about this a couple of years ago when I had a scare that turned out to be nothing... thanks for posting it, we all need this information.

Although it's more common in women, I know men can get breast cancer, too... I wonder if it applies to this variety?

Thank you for posting that, Troy. I brought my wife over to watch it (she had read something about that about a year ago), and I forwarded the video to my daughter in college.

Very good information - but the tone of the newscast really angered me. The breathless-hysterical-ohmygodyou'regonnadie attitude isn't useful (aside from snagging viewers and selling ads, which of course is the ultimate purpose of TV)

Very good information - but the tone of the newscast really angered me. The breathless-hysterical-ohmygodyou'regonnadie attitude isn't useful (aside from snagging viewers and selling ads, which of course is the ultimate purpose of TV)

AFAIK, the death rate is still 100%.

:frown3:

(Good info, BTW, despite the typical local news tone)

I can see the mortality rate being that high when it's not diagnosed in a timely fashion. But if you're saying that even if it IS diagnosed early (thanks to this awareness) the mortality rate is still 100%, then I'm not sure there's a benefit to knowing, other than maybe trying for lots of life insurance and getting your affairs in order.

I'm just sick of the media in general. There was some positive economic news last month in some factor or the other, and the Washington Post portrayed it as "Not as horrible as it might have been" rather than "better than expected".

AFAIK, the death rate is still 100%.

:frown3:

(Good info, BTW, despite the typical local news tone)
From the National Cancer Institute (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/sites-types/ibc):

"IBC is more likely to have metastasized (spread to other areas of the body) at the time of diagnosis than non-IBC cases (3). As a result, the 5-year survival rate for patients with IBC is between 25 and 50 percent, which is significantly lower than the survival rate for patients with non-IBC breast cancer. It is important to keep in mind, however, that these statistics are averages based on large numbers of patients. Statistics cannot be used to predict what will happen to a particular patient because each person's situation is unique."

So yes, it's a serious, serious disease that kills more often than not. But that's not a death rate of 100%. Remember that the main reason the disease is often so advanced when it's diagnosed is that it's (a) aggressive and (b) initially MISdiagnosed as something else, like a breast infection. Education, vigilance, and a GYN who treats his/her patients as individuals instead of a population (I am VERY lucky in that department) could help better our odds of beating this killer.

If it's any comfort ,Inflammatory Breast carcinoma is <5% of all cases....

I expected you to say < .05% given the fact that so many women have never been told about it, and so many doctors seem to know know about it when they see it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back