IACRA bug for CFI-SP

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
I got signed off to go take the CFI-SP checkride today. My instructor was really positive I'd do well. I hope he's right; I'll find out in a week or so (I think).

I created myself an IACRA account, and went to fill in the application for the certificate. I encountered a bug: it wouldn't let me save the application, claiming I didn't have enough ratings to apply for CFI. When I called the help line, they said that I had to have an instrument rating to apply for CFI-SP. That's not the case, of course (see 61.403(c)). When I disagreed, he said I'd need to straighten it out with the FSDO.

I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

You think it would go any smoother if you changed clothes?

I got signed off to go take the CFI-SP checkride today. My instructor was really positive I'd do well. I hope he's right; I'll find out in a week or so (I think).

I created myself an IACRA account, and went to fill in the application for the certificate. I encountered a bug: it wouldn't let me save the application, claiming I didn't have enough ratings to apply for CFI. When I called the help line, they said that I had to have an instrument rating to apply for CFI-SP. That's not the case, of course (see 61.403(c)). When I disagreed, he said I'd need to straighten it out with the FSDO.

I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Last I heard, examiners who handle type ratings must still do so under LOAs. IACRA is not set up to authorize a specific aircraft for the DPE.

I talked to the FSDO just now. The inspector there tried it, got the same error I did, and said, "Hm. It's not supposed to do that."

He's going to pursue the problem internally, too; in the meantime, he said I should just use the paper 8710-11.

hmm, i thought IACRA was just one huge bug...

Response from my IACRA guru:

I suspect your friend indicated he was applying for a "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" instead of "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT" and if he did and indicated he was applying for an airplane single engine rating, IACRA would correctly require him to hold an instrument airplane rating.

Response from my IACRA guru:
I suspect your friend indicated he was applying for a "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" instead of "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT" and if he did and indicated he was applying for an airplane single engine rating, IACRA would correctly require him to hold an instrument airplane rating.
Nope. I tried it twice, making sure I selected FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT. The guy at the FSDO I talked to tried it, making sure to select FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT, and got the same result.

Edit: I just tried it again, making doubly certain to select FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT. I got the same error.

Last edited:
Ahhhh... I had not noticed that. In Section 2, there's a separate line at the bottom in Line 1.

I also see it only allows specifiction of "Airplane Land." There is no "Airplane Single Engine Land" option.

Nope. I tried it twice, making sure I selected FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT. The guy at the FSDO I talked to tried it, making sure to select FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT, and got the same result.
Message relayed -- we'll see what happens.

Edit: I just tried it again, making doubly certain to select FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR SPORT PILOT. I got the same error.
Did the 8710-11 come up or 8710-1?

I worked through one and got the 8710-11 to come up, specifically for Sport Pilot.

Did the 8710-11 come up or 8710-1?

I worked through one and got the 8710-11 to come up, specifically for Sport Pilot.
I never got all the way through it. It asked me 8710-11 questions, but never allowed me to review the application because of the error.

My IACRA mentor has rechecked and confirmed Jay's problem -- the FAA IACRA guru is now aware of it. Stand by.

My IACRA mentor has rechecked and confirmed Jay's problem -- the FAA IACRA guru is now aware of it. Stand by.

I'd say it is the FAA's problem, not Jay's...but that's just me.

Isn't it amazing how things get turned around when inaccurate forms are used?

It just occurred to me... it probably allowed me to work through to the 8710-11 because "behind the scenes" it knows I have an instrument rating.

It just occurred to me... it probably allowed me to work through to the 8710-11 because "behind the scenes" it knows I have an instrument rating.
I'd expect so. IACRA knows the applicant's existing ratings, and fills them in the application automagically. Since I don't have the IR, it wouldn't let me complete the application.

I am having the same issue right now.. .Did anyone know how to get around this

But if the problem still exists, it is a legitimate necro. And it shows that even for his first post, he did try to search for an answer before asking the question.

Welcome Jonathan. But just know that you will never post anything that someone doesn't give you a hard time about.

Back