Time:
7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Lunch 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Reserved Seating ONLY…for 20

Contact information:
Denny Pollard, Airworthiness Maintenance Inspector
(510) 748-0122 ext. 246
E-mail: dennis.d.pollard@faa.gov

IA Course Code Number: AWP/02/08/0055/08 expiration date will be February 19, 2010.

This FAA approved Inspection Authorization course is FREE to the public and hosted by the Oakland FSDO. Denny Pollard will be the instructor for the full 8-hours of instruction. The course consists of handouts, PowerPoint slide shows, movies and interaction discussions.

Up the date material will be presented and each participate will receive an IA reference data CD-ROM. All pilots, repairman, A&P’s, and non-mechanics are invited.

Please contact Denny to reserve your seat and bring a since of humor and open mind as this will be a learning experience and lots of fun. Denny will provide FREE coffee at the lowest bitter price and snacks.

I think I'd rather do the 4 annuals.

Ok Tom do my annual next year and send Denny to MI I'll sit in for you in his course.

Dave:blueplane:

No problem, bring it up, that's better than me going to Ca.

I think I'd rather do the 4 annuals.

It's not the four annuals that is a problem. THe problem is doing one in each quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec). Tht Jan-Mar with a foot of snow on the ground to start and driving rain to end is a crystal *****-kitty.

Jim

Actually I would like to see mandatory refresher courses for IA's. It's appalling to see the number of practicing IA's that don't understand basic FAR's and the applicability to inspections.

At my last IA renewal class over half of the participants had never attended a refresher. The first question of the class was "Is an engine run-up required for an annual inspection?" The answers and debate that followed were amusing to say the least. The next set of questions were detailing the differences between CAR 3 certified airplanes and FAR 23 airplanes to which a large number there had no clue.

When I was in the Tacoma Washington area I always attended the refresher course that Clover Park hosted at Thun Field. I never failed to learn something new, plus it was great to socialize and network with a bunch of nice people. By completing the renewal I didn't have to submit an activity report, another plus.

Now I've moved to an airpark in Arizona, intend to keep my IA but not do too much but work on my own stuff, so I'll Have to take a renewal course. (or report to my PMI for an oral exam):yikes:

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

When I was in the Tacoma Washington area I always attended the refresher course that Clover Park hosted at Thun Field. I never failed to learn something new, plus it was great to socialize and network with a bunch of nice people. By completing the renewal I didn't have to submit an activity report, another plus.

Now I've moved to an airpark in Arizona, intend to keep my IA but not do too much but work on my own stuff, so I'll Have to take a renewal course. (or report to my PMI for an oral exam):yikes:

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Yea it's also good to meet new people and socialize and see what's going on around the region.

At my last refresher we were warned the FAA is now wanting to "thin the herd" of IA's and to make sure we kept up with all the renewal requirements and double check paperwork. The last thing you want to do is to take the oral from the Feds unless you know your PMI well and he's the one giving the oral.

Actually I would like to see mandatory refresher courses for IA's. It's appalling to see the number of practicing IA's that don't understand basic FAR's and the applicability to inspections.

At my last IA renewal class over half of the participants had never attended a refresher. The first question of the class was "Is an engine run-up required for an annual inspection?" The answers and debate that followed were amusing to say the least. The next set of questions were detailing the differences between CAR 3 certified airplanes and FAR 23 airplanes to which a large number there had no clue.

Kinda like inspectors that make up rules on their own.

If you don't mind being bored to stone and learning nothing, take the Gleim online course. Relatively cheap and you get the same questions and material year after year after ....

If you don't mind being bored to stone and learning nothing, take the Gleim online course. Relatively cheap and you get the same questions and material year after year after ....
Not an IA, but I wouldn't be that interested in getting the same material each year. The benefit of the group course is that you can get lively discussions going and learn different things, depending on who's participating.

Not an IA, but I wouldn't be that interested in getting the same material each year. The benefit of the group course is that you can get lively discussions going and learn different things, depending on who's participating.

I didn't say I particularly liked this method, but if your time means anything to you doing this and getting it over with and not having to drive hundreds of miles to a refresher course is worth its weight in unicorn dung.

Jim

It's not the four annuals that is a problem. THe problem is doing one in each quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec). Tht Jan-Mar with a foot of snow on the ground to start and driving rain to end is a crystal *****-kitty.

Jim

Where does it say I must do one each quarter?

Some Inspector said it.:nonod:

No, the IA that made the comment about having to do an inspection each quarter doesn't understand the regs.

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 65—CERTIFICATION: AIRMEN OTHER THAN FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS
Subpart D—Mechanics

§ 65.93 Inspection authorization: Renewal.

(a) To be eligible for renewal of an inspection authorization for a 2-year period an applicant must present evidence during the month of March of each odd-numbered year, at an FAA Flight Standards District Office or an International Field Office, that the applicant still meets the requirements of §65.91(c) (1) through (4). In addition, during the time the applicant held the inspection authorization, the applicant must show completion of one of the activities in §65.93(a) (1) through (5) below by March 31 of the first year of the 2-year inspection authorization period, and completion of one of the five activities during the second year of the 2-year period:
(1) Performed at least one annual inspection for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or
(2) Performed at least two major repairs or major alterations for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or
(3) Performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator; or
(4) Attended and successfully completed a refresher course, acceptable to the Administrator, of not less than 8 hours of instruction; or
(5) Passed an oral test by an FAA inspector to determine that the applicant's knowledge of applicable regulations and standards is current.
(b) The holder of an inspection authorization that has been in effect:
(1) for less than 90 days before the expiration date need not comply with paragraphs (a)(1) through (5) of this section.
(2) for less than 90 days before March 31 of an even-numbered year need not comply with paragraphs (a)(1) through (5) of this section for the first year of the 2-year inspection authorization period.
(c) An inspection authorization holder who does not complete one of the activities set forth in §65.93(a) (1) through (5) of this section by March 31 of the first year of the 2-year inspection authorization period may not exercise inspection authorization privileges after March 31 of the first year. The inspection authorization holder may resume exercising inspection authorization privileges after passing an oral test from an FAA inspector to determine that the applicant's knowledge of the applicable regulations and standards is current. An inspection authorization holder who passes this oral test is deemed to have completed the requirements of §65.93(a) (1) through (5) by March 31 of the first year.

The intent of 65.93 A(1) is to show 4 annual inspections during a one year period, not an inspection each quarter. If someone obtained an IA rating in mid year then they are only required to do 2 annuals for the sake of renewal.

This is another example of why IA's need mandated refresher clinics.

No, the IA that made the comment about having to do an inspection each quarter doesn't understand the regs.

If you are an IA, then I'll be glad to post the name and phone number of my PMI and you can argue your case with him

If you are not, I choose not to continue the argument.

He has to sign my renewal, not you, and it is the Sacramento FSDOs opinion that this part of the regulations requires an annual once in every 90 day (annual quarter) period.

Jim

If you are an IA, then I'll be glad to post the name and phone number of my PMI and you can argue your case with him

He has to sign my renewal, not you, and it is the Sacramento FSDOs opinion that this part of the regulations requires an annual once in every 90 day (annual quarter) period.

Jim

Maybe you should copy this and give to your PMI.

NOTICE
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION
N 8900.67

National Policy
Effective Date: 03/05/09

Cancellation Date: 03/05/10

SUBJ: Renew Title 14 CFR Part 65, Inspection Authorization Holder

1. Purpose of This Notice. This notice provides policy and guidance to supplement Flight Standards Information Management System Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 5, Section 8, Renew Title 14 CFR Part 65 Inspection Authorization, and 2-year Inspection Authorization (IA) cycle procedures.

2. Audience. The primary audience for this notice is Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) aviation safety inspectors. The secondary audience includes Flight Standards branches and divisions in the regions and in headquarters.

3. Where You Can Find This Notice. Inspectors can access this notice through the Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) at http://fsims.avs.faa.gov. Operators may find this information at: http://fsims.faa.gov.

4. Background.
a. With the issuance of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 65, § 65.93, holders of a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) IA will not be required to renew their certificates until March 2009. Each IA holder, however, must maintain their eligibility to hold the certificate throughout the 2-year renewal cycle. IA holders must have written documentation to support their continued eligibility through March 2008 and 2009, and include it with the renewal application package (FAA Form 8610‑1, Mechanic’s Application for Inspection Authorization) submitted to the assigned Flight Standards District office (FSDO) in March 2009, and each subsequent odd year renewal cycle.
b. For the purposes of IA activity, the year begins on April 1 and extends through March 31. During this 12‑month period, IA holders must meet one of the renewal requirements set forth in § 65.93(a). An IA holder must continue to meet the yearly requirements of § 65.93 in order to retain the authorization.

5. Policy Action. Applicants for IA renewal must meet one of the following:
a. Title 14 CFR § 65.93(a)(1) Requirements. Has performed at least one annual inspection for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority. These four annual inspections could be performed at any time during the year. Some individuals incorrectly assume that at least one annual inspection must be completed during each 90‑day period.
b. Title 14 CFR § 65.93(a)(2) Requirements. Has performed inspections of at least two major repairs or major alterations for each 90 days that the applicant has held the current authority. Likewise, the completion of these activities need not occur during each 90‑day period. You may renew on either annual inspections or major repairs/alterations, not a combination of the two.
c. Title 14 CFR § 65.93(a)(3) Requirements. Has performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with the standards prescribed by the Administrator.
d. Title 14 § 65.93(a)(4) Requirements. Has attended and successfully completed a refresher course acceptable to the Administrator of not less than 8 hours of instruction during the 12 months preceding the application for renewal. Many renew an IA through attending the classes provided at an annual approved IA symposium. Many of the manufacturer’s training courses have also been approved as a basis for IA renewal. Generally, these courses will display an FAA‑approved course number on the certificate of completion. There are also a number of approved computer-based instruction courses available on the Internet.
e. Title 14 CFR § 65.93(a)(5) Requirements. Has passed an oral test by an FAA inspector to determine whether the applicant’s knowledge of the applicable regulations and standards are current. This method of renewal may not be your first choice, but it is a viable option that allows positive interaction with FAA personnel during the renewal process. Oral tests may be based on the current revision of the FAA Inspection Authorization Knowledge Test Guide, FAA‑G‑8082‑11B, and IA privileges and limitations per part 65.

6. Guidelines for Question Development. The FSDO or International Field Office (IFO) should develop the oral test questions, which should meet the following criteria:
a. Clear. Content should establish the conditions or circumstances so the inspector and IA applicant will have the same mental picture with regard to the question’s intent and expected answer.
b. Concise. Questions should not be too complex, ambiguous, or have multiple answers.
c. Focused. Questions should have one specific answer and be referenced to a specific, FAA‑accepted guidance document or regulation; questions should not be manufacturer‑specific.

7. Sources for Test Development and Questions.
a. FAA Inspection Authorization Knowledge Test Guide, FAA‑G‑8082‑11B, current edition, is an example source for question development of oral questions along with the Practical Test Standards, Aviation Mechanic General Test Standards (FAA‑S‑8081‑26), specific to maintenance form and records. Reference http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_questions/.
b. IA privileges and limitations per part 65 would be additional sources for test development, as there should be enough variance in the test to prevent the applicant from having prior knowledge of the specific questions. It is recommended that a minimum of 10 oral questions be asked to each IA affected, with a passing grade of 70 percent.

8. Administration and Use of the Oral Test as Evidence of Authorization. Aviation safety inspectors assigned to a FSDO or IFO administering oral tests must issue the IA with evidence of the applicant having passed or failed the test in the form of written documentation. The IA should instruct IA holders to retain the oral test results and be prepared to present the results to the FAA upon renewal or by request. Upon renewal during the odd‑year renewal month, IA holders may use FAA Form 8610‑1 as evidence of having passed the oral test if the completion is noted in the Remarks section of the form. Failing the oral test will result in nonrenewal of the IA.
Note: Oral tests administered at any other time will require written evidence of completion signed by the inspector conducting the test, and a copy placed in the IA office file.

9. Disposition. We will permanently incorporate this information into FSIMS before this notice expires. Direct questions concerning this notice to the General Aviation and Avionics Branch, AFS‑350, Attn: Kim Barnette at (202) 385‑6403 or Ed Hall at (804) 222‑7494, extension 240.

ORIGINAL SIGNED by
John W. McGraw for
John M. Allen
Director, Flight Standards Service

Last edited:
Maybe you should copy this and give to your PMI.

I sit corrected, but you will note that this policy was effective March of this year. It is entirely possible that this document had not been widely circulated before I renewed my IA early in March of this year.

Thanks for the update...

Jim

Jim

I'm an IA that wonders how the PMI would know when you did the inspections? there is no requirement to date any thing on your activity sheet.

Plus there is no requirement to do one every 90 days, but the requirement is one for every 90 day period. that is 4 per year,

You need to get his requirement in writing and submit it to OKC and ASK What the H--- is this guy thinking.

He probably needs more training than You do..

Is Denny Polard your PMI?

I sit corrected, but you will note that this policy was effective March of this year. It is entirely possible that this document had not been widely circulated before I renewed my IA early in March of this year.

Thanks for the update...

Jim

It hasn't been changed Sence I had all my Hair.

It hasn't been changed Sence I had all my Hair.

Entirely possible. I was absolutely turned down for renewal about ten years ago because I had 9 annuals that year but none from January-March. I had to drive all the way down to Los Angeles (about 500 miles) to get the last instant refresher course. It was a lesson dearly learned and I haven't forgotten it.

I called my PMI (the a$$#0le that turned me down ten years ago) and he said that his current policy was now four a year, not one every quarter. Sorry for the flame-up.

Jim

Since I teach an IA renewal course I can safely say I provide a CD-ROM with lots of data for the IA’s, mechanic, and pilots that attend my classes. Needless to say my class is not boring as some IA sale pitch courses are. We actually learn from each other thats the point of having a refresher class.

I provide up-to-date materials and point out miss information. Needless to say not all FAA Inspectors are cut from the same cloth I happen to run into this all the time. And having the right data to back up what you are says is a must such as Notice 8900.67.

Since the FAA now only signs off the IA card every odd year the unwritten rule is showing proof you were current in the even and odd years. One way is attend the IA renewal course and have the course certificate and provide copies for each year. Or write down the N-number of the aircraft and date the annual, major repair, alteration or progressive inspection was signed off. Needless to say the easy way is attend a refresher course.

The questions ask is how would your PMI know if you did the inspections. It is up to the IA to show proof they did the inspections and in my class I explain this and hand out a sample sheet to attach to the 8610-1 applications unless you want to write it on the application in the space provided. But you are right there is no guidance yet, but it is coming to a FAR near you.

Denny is based in Oakland, CA and Grass Valley is Sacramento, CA FSDO district.

As a side note I am getting old and grayer each day and plan to step aside in the near future.

Back