I would like to share my flight journey so far

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
Jan 24, 2014
1.0 hours flight. Clear weather. learned pre-flight, initial startup checklist, taxi, run-up (RADE) etc. Instructor did takeoff with me following on controls. He had me do medium bank turns, level flight, then followed on controls for landing, then taxi back to parking.

*good initial instruction, not comfortable at all flying yet*

February 22, 2014
3.2 hours flight instruction. Weather was clear. Did all pre-flight, startup checklist, taxi, run-up (RADE), instructor aided take off. Then we did WCA, S-turns, turns around a point, Slow flight, Clearing turns, rectangular pattern practice, return to base and did a follow for landing (GUMPS). We then did a stop and go, I was in control of take-off, then back to landing pattern and assisted landing. We split the lesson into two different times, ate lunch in between.

*had a hard time with level flight and busting my altitude constantly, couldn't see the cowling or what level flight actually meant. had a really hard time keeping altitude on the turns around a point*

March 1, 2014
1.1 hours flight instruction. Initial weather was mostly cloudy with ceiling of 2,900 ft. All pre-flight, startup, taxi, run-up(RADE), take-off. We took off into our practice area and the weather changed, clouds lowered a lot, visibility 3 miles, flight and practice was at 1,800 MSL. Practiced WCA, slow flight, clearing turns then headed back to base. Instructor assisted downwind, base and final, then stop and go, I took-off, re entered the landing pattern, downwind. Then to base and final, on final I realized I was doing the entire landing procedures (GUMPS) etc. I was right above the numbers, perfectly on track, 20 feet from ground, still my airplane, just before landing I pulled back too much, instructed assisted final part of landing and I taxied back to park.

*learned a lot on the last lesson, I adjusted my seat to make sure I could see the cowling at all times for level flight, I felt much more comfortable flying at level flight and PIC (instructed). The realization that you are landing for the first time is a wonderful experience, I am still very rough around the edges but I am enjoying flying much more after my last lesson, I felt a lot more comfortable. I did give my instructor a scare on final, when i let my airspeed decay because I was trying to keep altitude up instead of letting the flaps do their job, wont do that again, A quick push forward on the yoke from the instructor will wake you up!*

I would like to keep sharing my story if you will let me. I would love advice, criticisms etc as well. a lot of rough weather and cloudy days have really put a damper on flying, with spring coming and hopefully better weather, I will be flying 2 days a week and sometimes 3 days depending on scheduling etc.

thank you

Total hours flight: 5.3 hours

Last edited:
Welcome to the board. You can always post,you will probably get more opinions than you expect. People are happy to share their experiences with you.

You did 3.2 hrs on the 2nd flight? You had to be tired after that

My CFI's have been right on target for 1 to 1.3 hours basically every lesson. They say even the xc stuff usually goes no longer than 2.5 hrs. So year 3.2 in one day seems like alot and tiring.

*had a hard time with level flight and busting my altitude constantly, couldn't see the cowling or what level flight actually meant. had a really hard time keeping altitude on the turns around a point*

Ask the instructor to spend a part of a lesson reviewing how to use the trim wheel.

Once you get a good grasp of this, many other aspect of flying become much simpler to manage, including your level turns, and speed control on final approach.

I should have mentioned that we split the lesson into two different flights, had lunch in between to refuel. haha. Normally we do not go more than 1.3 hours tops.

I'm no expert myself, but I can tell you that it does get easier... or at least more familiar. And looks like you're flying at a good pace, so you should be coming along nicely. Not familiar with RADE during the run-up. What does that one stand for?

I should have mentioned that we split the lesson into two different flights, had lunch in between to refuel. haha. Normally we do not go more than 1.3 hours tops.

I figured as much, sounds like you are getting some good exposure. It gets easier, don't worry

It definitely gets easier. A L-O-T easier.

But I think you'll have some trouble if you're only flying once a month. It's hard to progress that way. I'd suggest saving it up and flying at least once a week, preferably 2-3 times.

Hi Muleywannabe.

The weather this winter has not been conducive to flying, to say the least. Definitely keep sharing your experiences :). Flying and landing an airplane just takes lots of practice!

Ask the instructor to spend a part of a lesson reviewing how to use the trim wheel.

Once you get a good grasp of this, many other aspect of flying become much simpler to manage, including your level turns, and speed control on final approach.

I agree. And once you can place the airplane in the correct attitude for level flight ,climbs and descents by using outside visual references only, things start to really make sense.

I'm no expert myself, but I can tell you that it does get easier... or at least more familiar. And looks like you're flying at a good pace, so you should be coming along nicely. Not familiar with RADE during the run-up. What does that one stand for?

my instructor teaches what is called RADE, which is just at the hold short line.

R= runway, am I on the right runway
A= airspeeds, 55, 75, 85 (C172)
D= Departure direction, runway 35 or runway 17 departing East or West, etc.
E= emergency, look down the runway and know your throttle back point if an emergency or looking for fields etc after airborne.

good info to know, I think. We also practice GUMPS before landing:

G= gas, both tanks
U= undercarriage, wheels, landing gear, etc.
M= Mixture, full rich
P= propeller or power if you dont have a propeller adjustment
S= seatbeats, seatbacks, switches

Flight Lesson March 6, 2014
arrived at the airport on a glorious and beautiful clear day. We did some classroom work discussing landings and take-off's, then off the aircraft. I had the aircraft and did all of the ground radio calls and then we took-off in a pattern to the southwest, my take-off was the best I had ever done up to this point (I was happy and so was my instructor). We practiced slow flight, which my instructor said I did very well. I then entered the landing pattern and my instructor had me explain to him everything we do in the landing procedure, i.e. airspeed, flaps, throttle, etc. He landed the aircraft for a stop and go. Now it was my turn again for take-off. Did another great job :) I then made the turn to the pattern, entering in a 45 degree angle. I did all of the landing procedures, downwind, turn to base, then to final. At this point, I was completely PIC into final for landing. I made it over the runway, rounded out, pulled back too much and bounced on the nosewheel, then floated a ways, then we landed.

On to the next attempt, and the next. We did 5 landings and take-offs. On my final landing, I had it all figured out, pictured the glideslope and everything was good, I still have a hard time getting the round out and the last bit of back pressure for the final touchdown. It was a great lesson, I felt much more comfortable in the aircraft and really enjoyed the day, it was perfect, no wind!!! Can you believe that...Oklahoma and no wind? I can't wait for my next lesson, more landings and take-off practice. I am definitely hooked!!!

Flight Lesson March 13, 2014

Another pretty, clear day in Oklahoma. Today we practiced power off stalls, my first impression prior to learning about flight was that stalls will scare the chit out of you while training. Not the case, I actually enjoyed doing stalls, I enjoyed them so much that we practiced power on stalls as well. My instructor was very impressed with my recoveries, so we moved on to landing practice again.

First landing was an assisted landing just to get me used to landings again. Then I did an unassisted, which was a little rough but we did our touch and go. Then for my last I had everything all lined up, coordinated and the last touch down was my best but I bounced it at the last second then settled in. I have figured out that the landings are touchy and tricky but soon I will figure them out. Now, the airplane goes in for its 100 hour maintenance this week, so no flying for a week +. Time to study.

I enjoy reading the progress, as well as the diversified techniques between CFI's.

I kept a journal of mine from 1987. Still have it. I read it every couple of years. Make sure you document yours.

FWIW, in 1987 someone said to me "if you can drive a car, you can fly a plane"..Not so much..Talk about deflating your ego when you don't meet your own expectations.

The words "I suck" appear more than once in my journal.

Keep it up, be positive.

I enjoy reading the progress, as well as the diversified techniques between CFI's.

I kept a journal of mine from 1987. Still have it. I read it every couple of years. Make sure you document yours.

FWIW, in 1987 someone said to me "if you can drive a car, you can fly a plane"..Not so much..Talk about deflating your ego when you don't meet your own expectations.

The words "I suck" appear more than once in my journal.

Keep it up, be positive.

great words of wisdom. I will do that. my landings suck right now and driving a car is totally different:lol:

I love reading your progress. It brings back lots of great memories. As others have said stay positive and the remember to enjoy it. It will be difficult at times but it is always fun!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

After sitting out for 2.5 weeks due to the aircraft being in maintenance for its 100 hour checkup...
march 29, 2014

Arrived at KVRS and we pre-flighted thoroughly, especially after work was done. Once we were ready, we got started up. This was my first experience with a busy towered airport. Enjoyed the extra radio work. We took off and flew to KBVO. Then we practiced landings. Great flight!! I was very rusty on landings though. I assume this is common from not flying for 2 weeks?

After sitting out for 2.5 weeks due to the aircraft being in maintenance for its 100 hour checkup...
march 29, 2014

Arrived at KVRS and we pre-flighted thoroughly, especially after work was done. Once we were ready, we got started up. This was my first experience with a busy towered airport. Enjoyed the extra radio work. We took off and flew to KBVO. Then we practiced landings. Great flight!! I was very rusty on landings though. I assume this is common from not flying for 2 weeks?

A month prior to my checkride, I felt rusty on landings after 4 DAYS off. It's normal, especially for a newer pilot.:yes:

Then we practiced landings. Great flight!! I was very rusty on landings though. I assume this is common from not flying for 2 weeks?

I'm a low time (120 hr) pilot and I found out what rust was all about yesterday. 3.5 weeks off and I had trouble making a stable approach yesterday. I got the plane down ok, but it was a challenge.

Just keep working at. By the time you get to your check ride, you won't believe how far you've come.

Have fun!

I'm a low time (120 hr) pilot and I found out what rust was all about yesterday. 3.5 weeks off and I had trouble making a stable approach yesterday. I got the plane down ok, but it was a challenge.

Just keep working at. By the time you get to your check ride, you won't believe how far you've come.

Have fun!

Thank you. Yes, I had a hard time with a stable approach as well, I could not make my turns are perfect as I like from base to final. I am OCD when it comes to flying so I dont like to be off but I have learned its part of it.

April 3, 2014 Flight Lesson

It was a warm and windy afternoon. I arrived at the airport, did my pre-flight and of course, the previous renter put the control lock upside down...then I did a further thorough review to make sure things were safe.

Weather was warm and muggy, wind sock indicated a wind at 270 at 9kts, so we had our choice of flying from runway 17 or 35. We decided to go with 35. Upon takeoff, we rotated at a higher speed due to winds at 60kts. The aircraft fought us all the way off the ground and the wind was much stronger than the AWOS said (lying little machine).

We practiced ground references, clearing turns, S-turns, turns around a point, rectangular pattern etc. I thought I did very well with altitude and airspeed and my instructor said the same.

Then we headed back to the airport for landing, crossed midfield and made our turn for descent at a 45. winds were really pushing from the northwest now and must stronger as a front was trying to blow in cold air. We practiced our first landing in a cross wind and it was a ton of work!! the winds were cookin at 19kts! We practiced landings for a while and I am still having a heck of a time with this. I get around the pattern great, fly stabilized and safe and my airspeeds are really good. Then I get over the numbers and screw up the roundout and landing procedure. We practiced 4 landings and all of them were bouncy, bunny hoppy, nose wheel landed crap!

I am starting to get really frustrated that I can not make a good landing. I am a perfectionist and this is not setting well. We will try and practice flying over the runway at 10' off the ground to simulate the round out today. hope that works!!

any suggestions from you guys?

Landings - there are plenty of threads about advice. Focus on the end of the runway, look outside with periphial vision. Just takes a little practice or in my case ALOT. <sigh>

Sorry that was snarky. My apologies. :) No you're not alone Muley. :) When I had my checkride my DPE looked at my landing totals during the oral portion and said something like "Geez you have more landings then I do after 35 years of flying" I don't think he was kidding. Yes I'm that big of a nerd that I total all the columns.

Doesn't everyone total the columns? I'd think everyone would like to be able to see their running totals.

It's like Christmas every time I finish a page in the book:)

Sorry that was snarky. My apologies. :) No you're not alone Muley. :) When I had my checkride my DPE looked at my landing totals during the oral portion and said something like "Geez you have more landings then I do after 35 years of flying" I don't think he was kidding. Yes I'm that big of a nerd that I total all the columns.

no offense taken what so ever. I am thick skinned and glad to see that my sucky landings are common, I have become an airplane nerd myself. I tally up my hours every time and read all kinds of publications on airplanes. I am driving my wife nuts!

I really enjoyed reading your journal. Makes me think I should have kept one.

You said you were a perfectionist, I'll share one thing that held me back getting the hang of landings. Somewhere I got it in my head that if I had a "stabilized final approach" set up I wouldn't need to change any control setting until adjusting the elevator for the final flare. :) Seriously, I thought that was the goal. Well, they worked ok if the set up was perfect and winds were calm. In reality you have to relax and keep flying the plane. I'm not saying to be ham fisted and fly a corkscrew path on final but keep making control inputs to fly the plane down the path you want it to be on. Having everything looking perfect at 400 agl on final makes life easy but it doesn't mean you quit flying.

April 10, 2014 Flight Lesson

Another windy Oklahoma day but this time it was a wind from 005 instead of a true crosswind. The sky's were hazy due to local ranchers burning off their fields. we took off and climbed out to 2,500 MSL. Visibility to the west was poor so we headed NE. We practiced engine out scenarios. This was very new to me and was quite strange. My instructor pulled the power to idle, I set the aircraft up for the best glide, then the 7 up and 7 down method and looked for a field. We practiced starting this at 3,000 MSL. we also used the side slip method to drop altitude after a field was found. I learned a lot from this method. Then we did forward slip as well. After practice, we tracked back to the airport and practiced go-around's. This was great practice and great for learning. We actually had some aircraft flying around the pattern, so it made for some interesting go-around's. Then we did pattern work. I did good turning from downwind, to base..but base to final I was off a little. not bad but a little. However, the first landing I did not do so well. The second landing my instructor showed me how its done again. Then on my last landing....I did GREAT! landed all by myself, all alone and didnt bounce or screw it up. I felt great and in my mind I was a winner, haha. I actually figured out the round out and stall to land. I can honestly say that after reading up on here and the help from others on here, I did it. It wasnt from practicing mainly, it was from learning and reading and just doing it right. Bad part is now I have to wait til next week to fly again due to work and scheduling. Enjoy!

I will second that. Trim is so important and does make flying correctly so much easier. To the point that when you trim it correctly at cruise, it will pretty much fly itself. Or as my old teacher ( ex navy corsair type said) " if you'll keep your f$&@ hands off of it we will be just fine!"

June 10, 2014

We did ground for an hour, reviewed steep turns, stalls etc. Good ground review and lesson. I enjoy that.

Next, we pulled the plane out and pre-flighted and got ready to fly. I did all the radio calls on ground flawlessly and up into the air we go.

We practiced steep turns, I really enjoyed this...turning 360 degrees was quick at a 45 degree bank angle. I did pretty well keeping within the parameters as well. Then we did some power on and power off stalls. These are a lot less dramatic in a Piper 235, then that of the Cessna 172 I was training in.

then RTB, practiced pattern work and landings/touch n go's. We did a long final the first one, then pattern work the rest. I am 90% there on my landings, my instructor has to help a little bit on the last part of the flare but I feel confident in getting it next time. I love the plane, I feel more and more comfortable in it every time I fly. problem is I am out of commission for flying until first of next week now due to my own schedule, anniversary, fathers day etc coming up. Back on the horse next week and cant wait! I am not up to 18.2 hours total logbook time.

Back