I won!

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I just made a killing in the stock market! So, I used half of the $5 million after-tax profit to buy and maintain an early year 2000s King Air C90!

Trick is, after my FSI time, I only fly 200 hours a year. I have strict deadlines, though, and must adhere to them! The law says I don't need an SIC, and I like to penny-pinch.

So, with the remaining $2.5 million, do I hire a professional pilot or do I just go it alone?

Eh, no Embraer Phenom? Weak.
I think he'd need a bit more than $2.5M for that.

I'd say get a professional pilot. Like someone who is about to graduate with their Professional Pilot B.S. in less than 2 months. I just happen to know a "high flyer" that fits that criteria. :wink2:

I lost $200 at craps tonight, slowly... with plenty of hard ways bets for the dealers and good tips for the waitresses.

Do I get to play King Air too? ;) ;) ;)

Always pay your dealers.

Lets see, per beer that's... No wait, never do the numbers. Never do the numbers...

Professional pilot. That way you can rest in back between gigs

I'd say get a professional pilot. Like someone who is about to graduate with their Professional Pilot B.S. in less than 2 months. I just happen to know a "high flyer" that fits that criteria. :wink2:

Phenom is 3.7mil according to Wikipedia. And if budget is 5 mil, it fits.

So, with the remaining $2.5 million, do I hire a professional pilot or do I just go it alone?

You can hire me for $2.5 million. :D

Depends on your skill level otherwise. Most owner-flown turbines I know don't fly 200 hours a year (mind you, the number I know is much lower than, say, the number Wayne knows), but the people who own them typically have several thousand hours in other twins in bad weather.

If were to actually average 200 hrs per year flying it, I would say don't bother hiring....assuming it is spread out over the course of the year, that is plenty of time to remain proficient.

Let's say I'm worth a million bucks. I would say I can afford to fly a $100,000 airplane.

I wouldn't buy a $2.5 million airplane unless I was worth well over $20 million.

That's what I'd do, I think. Takes away some stress! I can fly when I want as SIC or PIC, assuming I'm rated.

Are you as qualified as Mari? Or even 1/5th as qualified? ;)
Lol. Probably not. Hopefully finishing up my multi-engine and HP next week. But that's why I'm worth 1/5th of him. If it helps, I'll gladly be worth 1/10th of him.

Lol. Probably not. Hopefully finishing up my multi-engine and HP next week. But that's why I'm worth 1/5th of him. If it helps, I'll gladly be worth 1/10th of him.

Given the fact that you can't even legally fly the airplane, I think you're overcharing. ;)

I'll charge $1 million, since I figure that's an appropriate ratio of qualification between Mari and me.

Given the fact that you can't even legally fly the airplane, I think you're overcharing. ;)

I'll charge $1 million, since I figure that's an appropriate ratio of qualification between Mari and me.
Oh my, a bidding war! I'd be willing to lower my price a bit as long as Ben includes free tickets to his concerts. :)

Okay I'll throw my hat in the ring. Forget about the ratings and certs and all but xplane says I can fly the damn thing. Twenty grand should take care of any FAA enforcement actions and the residual should carry me nicely!

I'm going to beat your bid and offer my services for $750k. I even have an hour or so watching Dave S pilot a C90 sim at Simcom!

I'm going to beat your bid and offer my services for $750k. I even have an hour or so watching Dave S pilot a C90 sim at Simcom!

Fine. $500k, and that's my final offer!

Of course, I've never flown a King Air - but I have flown Cheyennes and Commanders. I figure a King Air can't be any harder. After all, they let Wayne fly them.

You'll need to figure out how to get some more money, then you will hire me for 3 million. Don't skimp on this stuff with the rough-raff from above.

You'll need to figure out how to get some more money, then you will hire me for 3 million. Don't skimp on this stuff with the rough-raff from above.

Hahaha! I see this is more complicated than I thought!

I just made a killing in the stock market! So, I used half of the $5 million after-tax profit to buy and maintain an early year 2000s King Air C90!

Trick is, after my FSI time, I only fly 200 hours a year. I have strict deadlines, though, and must adhere to them! The law says I don't need an SIC, and I like to penny-pinch.

Hire a pro, take em as your sim partner at FS as well. There is no replacement for a second pilot, not really; though single pilot ability has appeal, it would be a bit before I'd want to do it IFR.

Hire a pro, take em as your sim partner at FS as well. There is no replacement for a second pilot, not really; though single pilot ability has appeal, it would be a bit before I'd want to do it IFR.

Agree. I also like the idea of being able to relax in the back, if I need to. Heck, in a C90, I could practice my cello in the back!

On dead legs, my co-pilot and I would occasionally take turns napping in back if we were especially tired. The back of a cabin class twin is a very nice place to take a nap!

Once I took a nap in a B100 in the shop while my mechanics fixed a problem on the Aztec.

On dead legs, my co-pilot and I would occasionally take turns napping in back if we were especially tired. The back of a cabin class twin is a very nice place to take a nap!

Once I took a nap in a B100 in the shop while my mechanics fixed a problem on the Aztec.

Man, now I know how to actually afford one! Just sell the house! After all, you can do everything but shower in a King Air!

Man, now I know how to actually afford one! Just sell the house! After all, you can do everything but shower in a King Air!
While working at KSUS, I met a couple from Germany that lived in a plane. They have been flying around the world for a few years so far. Sounds like a great way to spend an inheritance. (Wasn't a KA, but they had one of those camping showers that they'd hang from the wing and wrap a curtain around to shower. At least when there wasn't an equipped FBO.)

Last edited:

Kent always tells me when he sees me, "You can live in an airplane, but you can't fly your house." :)

While working at KSUS, I met a couple from Germany that lived in a plane. They have been flying around the world for a few years so far. Sounds like a great way to spend an inheritance. (Wasn't a KA, but they had one of those camping showers that they'd hang from the wing and wrap a curtain around to shower. At least when there wasn't an equipped FBO.)

Amazing.

Back