I wish folks would look outside the boat...

Oh my gosh!

The planes' pilots were not required to file flight plans and apparently were not in contact with air traffic controllers, the FAA said.

Couldn't he have said this was true of more than half the air traffic on any given day?

I'm sad for the loss but just once I'd like to see some intelligent reporting on an accident. Meanwhile, there were how many auto accidents in the same city with injuries and possible fatalities?

Bob, You really don't know that both pilots were not "looking outside the boat". Fact is most accidents are not even close to head on, And depending on time of day and scenery below etc...It can be very difficult to find traffic even when ATC tells you where to look. I just hope this never happens to me. Id hate for someone to blame me for not looking for traffic. Nick and I have discussed this before in some depth. Seems like every time there is a collision, there is some discussion that assumes that both pilots were reading books or playing with their GPS at the time and not looking for traffic.
Sad accident indeed.

They're going to have a hard time EVER coming up with planes with VFR flight plans...with AFSS never answering the phone.

This is under the Class B shelf of Cincy's airspace. Cincy will typically not clear IFR traffic through, much less VFR traffic. In fact, I've heard one of the FBOs at the field tell pilots that they might as well cancel and go VFR over the top of the airspace, descending on the other side to come back in under the shelf. Saves 20+ miles.

We don't know the facts, but I certainly hope that this accident was not due to overflight traffic being compressed under the shelf and circumnavigating the Class B. We'll have to wait and see, but I hope the NTSB checks to see if one or both requested Class B clearance.

Back