"I will love you through your maggots."

Ah, the Bot Fly. I had two of 'em after a visit to Belize two years ago. You don't know you have 'em, because (as noted) they start out as mosquito bites. Difference is, they don't heal, but instead, stay red and start to ooze... stuff.

Best part is (as the protagonist in teh news story notes), when they start to wiggle around, it HURTS! Mine were (blessedly) on my left leg near the knee; having 'em near my head would pretty much freak me out. As it was, though, I'd have these sudden spasms of pain in my knee, and it was especially nice when one such attack occurred when I was on short final at ADS!

The wound stays open, because they breathe through it and secrete some stuff that keeps it from healing- hence, the discharge. Cover the "wound" with Vaseline (or Campho-Phenique, for it's pain-killing characteristics), the little suckers suffocate. Then (depending upon how large they are), you either have them cut out, or (in my case) you can sort of skootch 'em out (small slice to open up the hole a bit).

I was so disgusted when those two critters came out, I "like to of barfed."

If you Google "bot fly," you will not enjoy what you find. Made me glad mine were caught fairly early!

BTW, got mine at a fairly remote area, as well; did not get them either time I went to Ambergris Caye.

Back