I was there... because THEY were there - Dec. 7, 1941 - 2011

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I intend to write up more about this day over on WIX later, but this was simply a wonderful, though somber day.

A few pictures from the Pearl Harbor commemoration in Fredericksburg, TX today.

IMG_3517.JPG

A handful of survivors amidst a grateful and significant, but small (considering how many people COULD have come) crowd.

IMG_3526.JPG

I wonder if the children in this fellow's community appreciate him the way I do...

IMG_3527.JPG

And I'm actually amazed at the vigor this 1.1 Gunners Mate on the West Virgina still has. Oh that when I'm in my 80s... God willing, I will be as strong.

That's it folks... that's ALL of the survivors that were able to attend the ceremony in the Peace Garden at the Nimitz...
IMG_3588.JPG

It's quite sad actually. I was at the 60th anniversary event, and it was THOUSANDS of people filling the street in front of the Nimitz, with a former US President speaking. I'd say this one might have hit a thousand, but more likely in the 700-900 range.

I've got more pictures, but here's a pilot I know flying his T-28 in honor of the veterans.
IMG_3497.JPG

Ryan

Ryan:

Thank you for posting this.

We are losing WWII vets everyday - lost my Dad a little over a year back. Very sobering.

I look into the eyes of these men, and try to see how they must have been larger than life in their day. I have much more patience when I see these old guys driving around, because you never know what they saw in their lives.

Back