I want to head northwest

tlglenn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
I plan on flying up to Seattle on Thursday from Tucson. I figure on landing at Renton. While there I'd like to take a side trip to Vancouver, BC (if I can find some Canadian charts in the Seattle area first). On the way back I want to stop in Portland.

Ideally I'd be IFR, but the freezing levels may be below the MEAs.

I posted something similar on the red board and someone recommended that I try a route that takes me over the Grand Canyon because it's shorter than the California route.

Any tips or suggestions for the trip?

I'm trying to remember our route back from Copperstate a couple of years ago.

Kingman AZ, Ely NV, Nampa ID, then home to Cashmere WA.

Couple of tweaks on that route will get you to the Renton area without having to set a wheel in CA.

Last edited:
I plan on flying up to Seattle on Thursday from Tucson. I figure on landing at Renton. While there I'd like to take a side trip to Vancouver, BC (if I can find some Canadian charts in the Seattle area first). On the way back I want to stop in Portland.

Ideally I'd be IFR, but the freezing levels may be below the MEAs.

I posted something similar on the red board and someone recommended that I try a route that takes me over the Grand Canyon because it's shorter than the California route.

Any tips or suggestions for the trip?

Take a taxi over the hill from RTN to BFI and the Aviator's Store at mid field on the east side carries all those Canuck charts. I'm in north Seattle if you want to see us finishing the amphibion & have lunch on me.

Thanks for the info. I got to the airport on Thursday and discovered that the GPS had not been updated for the current cycle. So, a few hours later I took off. I ended up taking the California route on the way up since I wanted more reasonable MEAs for my IFR-filed route and I knew I'd be finishing at night. I spent the night in Eugene and made it to Renton the next day. I'm considering the Nevada route for the trip back depending on other circumstances.

The weather for today is looking awesome and I may take a trip up to BC. Btw, Pro-Flight at Renton carries the Canadian equivalents of the sectional and terminal area charts for Vancouver. They're $20.99 each! No IFR items, however.

I think I would like to see the amphibian if I get a chance.

Oh yeah, during my Eugene to Renton leg I noticed a wasp flying around the airplane. I don't know if it came in through a vent during the trip or was already inside the airplane before take-off. Lucky for me it settled on the right door at the bottom of the window so I opened the window and let the air stream take care of it. I'm glad I wasn't in the IMC at the time.

Take a taxi over the hill from RTN to BFI and the Aviator's Store at mid field on the east side carries all those Canuck charts. I'm in north Seattle if you want to see us finishing the amphibion & have lunch on me.

Ted well worth it the amphib is very cool and Dave is very knowlegable. He also is a gracious host!

Back