I thought I was about to lose my 182

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
This afternoon, I moved the 182 to the fuel pump to fill up before tomorrows early flight. There were some clouds, high visibility, a slight breeze, and little else going on. So, I climb the ladder to the left wing. Just as I finished filling the tank, I noticed the clouds turn darker and dust kicking up over by the hanger. I barely had time to move the ladder and set the nozzle down before the winds and dust storm was on top of me. I looked around, and there was nothing to tie down to. I thought the 182 was a goner! So, I ensured the park brake was on, and put a chock under the wheels, then moved to the tail to hold some, hoping it would pass quickly.

After a minute, I realized that it was much darker beyond and coming my way and would not pass quickly. So, I removed the chocks, got in, started it and taxied back to the hanger. Fortunately, I got it in the hanger with no problem. Then, I drove back to the pump and put stuff away. Its been 3 hours of storming since, and I only got one tank filled. Guess I'll fill the other one in the morning. News reports gusty winds to 65 MPH

Wow; close call. When you got it back to its normal home, from what did you suspend it for its ultimate protection?

Weather-wise, we had three tornadoes in Maine on Wednesday. That's very rare for Maine.

HR

I cant imagine what you must have been feeling. I'm glad to hear you still have your plane.

What's gonna suck is that you don't have 1 tank full, you now have 2 tanks half full. *grin*

(unless you switched the fuel selector off "Both")

--Carlos V.

Back