I taxied into snow bank!

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
It was at the taxiway to runway 22 at TDZ, a good sized drift blocking the way. Thought I could make it through and was mistaken. Stuck fast. Had to shut down, get out, and push the plane out of the damn drift. Back-taxied, got onto the runway from another less drifted taxiway, back taxied and took off. Otherwise and uneventful flight.

BTDT. 'Twas last winter at 3DA, and I had just landed in a club 172 and was driving around on a narrow taxiway looking for parking (officially, there isn't any). There were little drifts of snow extending well onto the taxiway but they were shallow and I figured I'd have no trouble making it through, and besides, going around them would put my other wheel well off the taxiway. Well, one of them caught my left main and pulled me right into a drift even steering hard the opposite way. I shut down and got out my towbar. It would have been a hopeless task for me alone, but luckily there was a group of nice (and male) good Samaritans on the field. <whew>

I am not sure if you have wheel pants on your 140 or not Mike. But I know with my Warrior that even a couple of inches of snow the wheels will get bogged down pretty quick. Unless it is clear or hard packed I don't even try to get through anymore.

sorry to hear that steinger...that's why I haven't flown for awhile, I've seen those snow piles they created. How is the airplane? Got some damage? (Haven't seen you in the chat room lately)

Ntot to rub salt into your wound steinger but according to the NOTAM's the taxiways are closed at TDZ: Toledo OH (Metcalf Field) [TDZ]: February NOTAM #11
Taxiway all taxiway closed effective from February 05th, 2011 at 07:55 PM EST (1102060055)

Hopefully no scratches or dents?

:sad:

Last winter in January as I started the takeoff roll, I realized the snow banks on either side were higher than my wing tips. When I returned a nice cross wind picked up and I was pretty anxious about keeping in straight with no drift.

:eek:

Bofya should have had your skis on

Ntot to rub salt into your wound steinger but according to the NOTAM's the taxiways are closed at TDZ: Toledo OH (Metcalf Field) [TDZ]: February NOTAM #11
Taxiway all taxiway closed effective from February 05th, 2011 at 07:55 PM EST (1102060055)

You are absolutely correct, and I now remember the briefer telling me that in the middle of everything else, including the weather in Montana, or so it seemed. Totally my bad.

No damage to anything other than my ego. The ironic thing is on that my buddy piloted the flight in, landing well off-center. I was actually quite worried that a slight excursion to the left (from the nosewheel being turned in the crab) would have put the wing tip in the drifts. First time I ever worried about one of his landings. Instead I run smack into a drift myself. His fortune from lunch said he was in for a thrilling adventure. Yeah, right. Flying with me is usually not a thrilling adventure. Usually not.

All in all a really nice trip. Got to meet a couple really good friends, bought a nice present for the Mrs., and ate at a really cool little restaurant next to a big marine aquarium that was mostly bereft of fish, except one little nervous one hiding behind a rock at the bottom. My landing back home was even spot on. Little over an hour for me. Yahoo!

Glad it all worked out. Probably no one at TDZ noticed you did it either. :(

Back