I seriously need advise!

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
The rumor mill has been busy lately at work with talk that the company isn't doing well, and that we will soon be facing layoffs. Many of those rumors have now been confirmed. We will be hearing in the next 3 weeks or so which employees will be offered buyouts and which will be laid off. The rest of us may be looking at pay cuts as well. I have been working for this company since 1973. I'm not up into the age group that will be offered buyouts either. Frankly, I'm nervous as hell about this. I haven't had to look for work in almost 34 years, and I really don't want to have to start over at the bottom somewhere at this stage in my life. I guess my question is, should I start looking now, or should I wait to see what happens? If I post a resume on monster.com, can they use that as a reason to fire me?

I can't even begin to think about not working since I recently lost have of my 401k due to divorce. I'm kindof...well...scared ****less.

It is never too early to start looking. Best to have a back up plan in your pocket. Start networking now, post your resume, and think of other alternatives. Starting over may not be so bad if it is something that you want to do.

The rumor mill has been busy lately at work with talk that the company isn't doing well, and that we will soon be facing layoffs. Many of those rumors have now been confirmed. We will be hearing in the next 3 weeks or so which employees will be offered buyouts and which will be laid off. The rest of us may be looking at pay cuts as well. I have been working for this company since 1973. I'm not up into the age group that will be offered buyouts either. Frankly, I'm nervous as hell about this. I haven't had to look for work in almost 34 years, and I really don't want to have to start over at the bottom somewhere at this stage in my life. I guess my question is, should I start looking now, or should I wait to see what happens? If I post a resume on monster.com, can they use that as a reason to fire me?

I can't even begin to think about not working since I recently lost have of my 401k due to divorce. I'm kindof...well...scared ****less.

Frank,

Feel free to PM me as well, but my advice:

+ Prep your resume. Network out with some friends, outside the company, who know what you do or know something about what you do. Talk with someone people who don't know what you do specifically but know your industry. These two sources can help you get your resume ("the story") down cold.

+ While doing this, write up a list of what you are looking for in a job. What did you like about your job? What skills have you developed? What work have you done that has impact on your career, both positive and negative? This list can be as free form or as structured as you like - but this will help you target your next job.

+ When you start looking for jobs, and you find some that interest you, pen up a half or one page write-up of your "win themes". This is a sales term for the message behind why you think you are a good fit for the job, why you want the job, and why you think the company should select you. This is generally a translation of your "story" - distilled down and focused from the jobs perspective. Once you have that done - study it, know it. I've used these types of preparations many times and it really, really helps - it focuses you, lets you shake out all of the potential bugs in your resume, and really preps you for a solid interview.

Like I said, feel free to PM me. I'm not sure which industry you work in or what sort of work you do straight out. But, I know a lot of people (coming from consulting) and I'll help you however I can.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Wow, thanks Andrew! I'll be sending you a PM either later this evening or tomorrow. I'm getting ready to take my sons to a baseball game. It's our first visit to the stadium this season.

Frank,

Feel free to PM me as well, but my advice:

+ When you start looking for jobs, and you find some that interest you, pen up a half or one page write-up of your "win themes". This is a sales term for the message behind why you think you are a good fit for the job, why you want the job, and why you think the company should select you. This is generally a translation of your "story" - distilled down and focused from the jobs perspective. Once you have that done - study it, know it. I've used these types of preparations many times and it really, really helps - it focuses you, lets you shake out all of the potential bugs in your resume, and really preps you for a solid interview.
All this advice is good but I quoted the section above for this reason: I have heard this short writeup called an "elevator speech". The idea is to tell someone what is important about you and your capabilities in approximately the time it takes to take a trip in the elevator.

It has to be short and to the point, obviously. The reason for this is that you never know when you will meet someone who might be able to help, or who might in fact be the hiring manager. You don't have much time in a non-interview setting to impress him. Be ready!

Then go ride on a lot of elevators. ;)

It sucks to be laid off; been through that twice. I landed better each time. You will too. Think of this as an opportunity not as a problem.

-Skip

All this advice is good but I quoted the section above for this reason: I have heard this short writeup called an "elevator speech". The idea is to tell someone what is important about you and your capabilities in approximately the time it takes to take a trip in the elevator.

It has to be short and to the point, obviously. The reason for this is that you never know when you will meet someone who might be able to help, or who might in fact be the hiring manager. You don't have much time in a non-interview setting to impress him. Be ready!

Then go ride on a lot of elevators. ;)

It sucks to be laid off; been through that twice. I landed better each time. You will too. Think of this as an opportunity not as a problem.

-Skip

I have a sample win themes around here somewhere, but it's similar to what Skip is saying.

The real nuance in all of these things is mapping you to the job, and the job to you. Rarely do I see a resume when hiring someone and I say "perfect fit!" - I get there after an interview or a face to face interaction. Win themes / elevator speeches force you to distill yourself down to what matters: who you are, why you are good for the role, why the role is good for you. Those are the items that will resonate.

The big thing is not to come off sales-y. No full court press or rehearsed nature. Just know who you are and what you think the company is looking for.

Good luck Frank - I think you have the tools to turn this into something positive, which is hard, but I think you can do it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Start looking now, but not before you've done as the others have suggested. Sharpen your pencil and work on the resume and your "story" - that is, why you're looking, what you're looking for, what you are good at.

Better to be the first resume through someone's door than the last. If layoffs are coming, odds are lots of folks like you, with similar credentials, will be looking for similar jobs, in a similar area. Get the first-mover advantage!!

What line of work do you do?

I am a pre-press supervisor for a daily newspaper. I don't do much newspaper work any more however. I handle all the photo color corrections (ads and features) for 2 monthly magazines, including one that is a large format high quality coffee table type magazine. I also do most of the color correction for our specialty publications. I do our annual Discover Jacksonville magazine, which I just finished along with the Bauch & Lomb guide. Basically that makes me a Photoshop guy. I can also do some fairly remarkable photo restoration work as well. Because I cover so many of our products, and the other people in the department haven't broadened their photoshop skills to the level needed to do the high end work that I do, they would really have a hard time covering those publications without me. But, I don't know if the company is planning to keep those products or not. I've been told by several people that they can't afford to get rid of me, I'm nevertheless quite worried.

BTW, I could really help AOPA improve the quality of their images in Pilot magazine! ;);) Many of them seem to carry a red cast.

Frank - really sorry to hear that, and I can commiserate with you. Best of luck and keep us updated on how things are progressing.

Professionally speaking as a Consultant Programmer: I concur - start looking. Looking doesn't hurt, and can lead to positive results. If you get an offer to interview, DO THE INTERVIEW. You can always say no after the fact if they offer you a job, but you CAN'T turn down the job offer you never get. NEVER turn down an interview. :)

Frank,

There is a HUGE population of independent contractors in the publishing field. With the ease of file transfers these days, most of the publishing companies are moving away from in-house. I haven't been an "employee" in a decade. The publishing field is such where one can now find the best talent ANYWHERE, not just the best talent in the city (or willing to relocate).

Check out www.mediabistro.com, which is sort of a freelancer hangout/posting service. Good prepress photoshoppers are hard to find. If you can't find a "job" I dare say you will not be totally without income. It was a little scary for me when I left a cushy corner office at one of Billboard Publishing's rags to become independent, and it took a little while to get used to hustling for work, but I dare say it was one of the best things that could have happened.

Since I get the paper and I've seen your work (and the rest of the T/U products), it seems to me there are MANY MANY better places to cut costs than your spot. I was a newspaper guy for only 15 years, but I did learn a few things during that time.

No extra advice right now beyond the above - just "good luck" and don't let it get you down too much. it could open up wonderful things, it really could. change isn't a bad thing.

I got laid off from a job, almost ten years ago - just 3 weeks after I started. I got 3 weeks vacation out of it (paid, since they gave me a month before the layoff was official - just "go home") and before the month was up my boss called me and said "hey, if you still want your job, let me know, we found space for you after all". So I went back to work after having a nice Xmas vacation out of it.

Then, 6 yrs ago I asked for a severance package (from a different company) when they started laying folks off - I took off for 8 months, traveled around Europe, had a great time, came home and landed this job and have been doing well ever since (5 yr anniversary in a few months).

Time and money are both important. IF you get laid off, you will have a lot of free time for a while. This isn't a bad thing. If the "worst" happens (and I have quotes around that for a reason) then start thinking now about what you would like to do with that precious resource, your free time. You WILL land on your feet.

It's been a good while since I've been in the ad agency business, but people who REALLY KNEW production were always hard to find.

Though the ad biz is kinda tenuous, the back end folks are usually a little more secure than the account side. An agency can be a real fun place to work, and Jax is a big enough town to support a couple good shops. Find one that won't let any work out the door unless it's perfect.

Maybe one of your national ad sales people with agency contacts can hook you up with an interview. My rolodex in Jax is long cold by now. Wish I could help.

ps. I guess I had a little advice after all. LOL!

And it is most welcomed and appreciated! Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support! I've been feeling a bit restless lately, professionally speaking, and this may end up being just the cure I need. And Ken, thanks for that. I've been looking into starting a sort of part-time work at home along these lines....

http://www.phojoe.com/Restoration.html

Frank, I'm sorry for the headache and heartache this causes. I can't imagine having given so much of my life to a company and suddenly have it count for nothing to those who received it.

With changes in technology, don't limit yourself to just listings in that area. As a courier, I used to see 1-3 tickets a day for blue lines, graphic proofs and associated business. Later, there were still blue lines and occasional proofs but most began to be sent by zip disk. Now, thanks to email with large file capability I see one or two graphics a month.

This could broaden horizons to more opportunities, possibly working from home. Clients or an employer could be located anywhere and you get to remain right there near your son.

I wish the best.

Ken

Frank, I know how you feel. everytime my wife gets transfered (she is active duty army) I have to quit my job that I just spent 3 years clawing my way up from the bottom to get where I am only to have to quit and do it again. I have to explain on my resume' and at each interview why I am willing to take a lower job than my qualifications say I should have and whey it looks like I job hop every 2-3 years. The good news for me is I am going to do it for the last time. My wife just droped her retirement paperwork 2 days ago. If anybody hears of a level 3, lead, or senior Boimedical Equipment Technician position let me know. We will relocate anywhere except the NE coast (DC to Boston) and south west coast (SanFransisco to SanDiego)

Frank, I know how you feel. everytime my wife gets transfered (she is active duty army) I have to quit my job that I just spent 3 years clawing my way up from the bottom to get where I am only to have to quit and do it again. I have to explain on my resume' and at each interview why I am willing to take a lower job than my qualifications say I should have and whey it looks like I job hop every 2-3 years. The good news for me is I am going to do it for the last time. My wife just droped her retirement paperwork 2 days ago. If anybody hears of a level 3, lead, or senior Boimedical Equipment Technician position let me know. We will relocate anywhere except the NE coast (DC to Boston) and south west coast (SanFransisco to SanDiego)
Check out the Atlanta area. It's growing like crazy around here and a new hospital just went up in the northern burbs with another in the works.

Frank,

I just landed in a new position halfway across the country. It took a while to find just what I was looking for.

Andrew's advice was good. I'll add to that from my perspective.

1) there is a 70% chance your next job opportunity will come through networking as opposed to want-ads. THe trick, then, is to build a personal network. Use your relationships at work, church, and professional groups.

2) IN most every city, there are networking groups devoted to job-transition support. There are some that are sponsored by church groups (here's an example: http://jacksonville.busytonight.com/event/career-transition-workshop/0703313ac312c2b5 ). These may not "find" you a job, but they will help you get your mind working toward new opportunities. These groups can also help you refine your resume, your "talking points", your 2-minute speech (elevator speech), and cover letters. You might even turn up leads.... the opportunity I'm in now came through a couple of professional networking groups run by an executive coach for whom I'm a client.

3) Prepare now. By that I mean, make sure your finances are in order, and you have a plan if the time-off is protracted. Even if the plan is "if I don't find something in 3 months, I'll need to work at McD's", you need to have a plan. Best case: you don't get laid off and the plan isn't needed. Unlike some people, you've at least got a "heads up". Time is on your side.

4) Tread carefully on public postings on Monster and other boards. Yes, an employer can fire you (especially in a right-to-work state). And most employers don't search for folks on large boards like that - but some will post opportunites there. I know of folks that determined a post on Monster was just like posting your email address to a spam engine. HOWEVER - as part of the job search, you should review the job postings and reply to those that you think are a good match.

5) Notwithstanding #4, participating in forums like Ken suggested would be a good thing. Specialty boards offer a greater chance of success. Make sure you write well, and make the posting an advertisement or teaser for your services. Remember: first impressions count.

6) I've had candidates with slick resumes that had no idea what was in the resume (or the resume was false). I've also interviewed candidates that had very weak resume, but were very strong in-person and fit well. You want to be both. Make sure the resume is truthful, but shows your accomplishments well. It is you're "sales piece", so to speak. You need to use it to open the door, and then use your interviewing skills to win the position. BTW, make sure you know the value proposition you provide to an employer.

7) Create a profile and connections using Linked-in.

8) The best time to look for a new job is while you're still employed. Be proactive. Your value is a lot higher when you're employed.

I'll help you any way I can. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do, and I'll be happy to pass along a direct email/phone.

Best wishes for success!

Back