I screwed up...MedXpress...

Dr. Bruce, you stated " prepare for a fusillade of demands from the FAA, and the eventual denial. So start cracking at getting this stuff!". If for sure I'll be denied the medical then why would you suggest " So start cracking at getting this stuff!"? It's the end of the beginning for me as I wouldn't continue this chase with the FAA. I thank you for your comment.
"Start cracking and getting this stuff" - it's the way you take control of the situation and start getting proactive. You had a DUI, with a pretty high BAC, and FAA is going to want to know that you have that situation under control. So start putting together the proof that you are in control of your drinking and not the other way around.

@AggieMike88, OMG this is insane and a living nightmare. I read your comment last night and couldn't believe what I read. If I was younger I would probably go for the medical despite all these hoops and loops from the FAA. I'll be 49 this year and this would be too much for me to pursue at this age and time. I did set aside money for the training and living expenses but wasn't aware of all this that you stated. The AME's assistant did say that I would get my medical "eventually" but with hoops and loops as you mentioned. He did mention CADC but not all that you stated. I guess his office will make money off me and wouldn't disclose too much information in order to not freak me out. At the moment I am thinking of not continuing this medical certificate. Now, how should I approach this with the AME? Do I simply visit him again and let him know that I will not be pursuing this? Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
It's not forever denied if he eventually reapplies and is successful at jumping through all the hoops to convince the FAA that he meets the standards as Dr. Bruce has outlined. And it wouldn't have any effect on flying ultralights.
I was looking at Ultralights and they look like a lot of fun. If this doesn't go through then I might just do Ultralights as they do not need a license from the FAA. Thanks!

Aggiemike88, OMG this is insane and a living nightmare. I read your comment last night and couldn't believe what I read. If I was younger I would probably go for the medical despite all these hoops and loops from the FAA. I'll be 49 this year and this would be too much for me to pursue at this age and time. I did set aside money for the training and living expenses but wasn't aware of all this that you stated. The AME's assistant did say that I would get my medical "eventually" but with hoops and loops as you mentioned. He did mention CADC but not all that you stated. I guess his office will make money off me and wouldn't disclose too much information in order to not freak me out. At the moment I am thinking of not continuing this medical certificate. Now, how should I approach this with the AME? Do I simply visit him again and let him know that I will not be pursuing this? Thank you for your comments.
No disclosing what the specific "hoops and loops" and associated difficulties and costs is likely a lack of knowledge of what these are, how the process works, and the time/cost involved. I cannot blame this assistant for trying to maintain a positive attitude, but the lack of information did set a false expectation.

The AME should also have been more able and willing to counsel you on what you are to expect. Unfortunately, there are too few AME's like Dr. Bruce Chien who review the case BEFORE submitting to the FAA. And if there is an issue such as yours, provide the appropriate counsel. If nothing goes to the FAA, then zero jeopardy of future privileges will be attached.

But in your case, the record is live because the AME sent in your packet with a bare minimum of counselling.

If you choose not to continue the certification process at all, no direct action between you and the AME (Dr. Fox?) is likely required, as he is unlikely to take any additional action. The FAA will have sent you their letter informing you of their determination of their application, and that is all that they will do. If nothing is submitted back to the FAA, then they will consider the matter done and done.

====================================

If you decide that pursuing the medical certificate is something that you wish to do, then direct action between you and this individual AME (Dr. Fox?) is not required, with the exception of saying a polite thank you, then commence to "vote with your feet" to seek out an AME who is extremely capable of handling your case.

Such an AME is Dr. Bruce Chien. While you have made informal contact with him via this forum, for Dr. Bruce to become your AME of record for this, you must make formal contact with him and hire him (aka, be ready to pay his fee). Such contact is initiated via this web page, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html.

Once you have hired him, he will discuss with you what it takes to cross the finish line. He has done several cases similar to yours so he truly does know the route and steps. Proceed with positive "I need to learn from the master" attitude and not a "that is BS because this page I found on google says..." attitude. If you are humble and willing to learn from Dr. Bruce, you will succeed.

Dr. Bruce will be honest with you on your chances of succeeding. And if you proceed, keep in mind that your chance of succeeding is very much based on you being honest with him.

Once all of the blanks on Dr. Bruce's to do list are completed, only then will a final review take place. And only if Dr. Bruce has a high confidence of the FAA accepting the application, will the application be sent in.

A successful end is possible. But only if you are ready and willing to put in the hard work to get there.

Last edited:
@Willy809 -- One thing I have yet to grokk about obtaining your medical and flying...

Where you looking at flying as a recreational item? Or was this to become a future career?

Still not clear - did the AME actually open your file using the confirmation number or not?

As others have questioned - find out for SURE if your current AME used your code and took your application live. If he did, then all the advice above applies. If he did not, then all the same hoops still apply but you can take time and hire an AME like Dr. Bruce to handle your case. He will assess and collect ALL the data the FAA needs BEFORE he opens the file. Or decide to bag it and (again if current AME did not take the app live) fly sport pilot and ultralight.

I feel for you, as I went through a similar case only 3 years ago. It took me close to a year to get issued. It cost very well into 4 figures (yours will likely be more as I didn't blow above .15). It was a lot of glorious fun, but I was determined, honest, and spent that time flying and learning. When I finally got my medical I soloed shortly thereafter and carried on. Got my PPL back in October.

You mention your age, I just turned 49. Its still do-able, but since you mentioned wanting to become a revenue airman, maybe that extra year will throw a wrench into things.

Either way, Dr. Bruce's fee is - literally - the least expensive thing of all of this by an order of magnitude, and if you are still even remotely considering it, its worth it to hire him and see what your options are. He is a straight shooter, and if anyone can get your through this, it's him. Just be totally 100% honest and complete with him.

Good luck, and if you are still here update us with your decision :)

Dr. Bruce, you stated " prepare for a fusillade of demands from the FAA, and the eventual denial. So start cracking at getting this stuff!". If for sure I'll be denied the medical then why would you suggest " So start cracking at getting this stuff!"? It's the end of the beginning for me as I wouldn't continue this chase with the FAA. I thank you for your comment.
Ugh! 0.17 is UP THERE. I sure hope you did poorly on the roadside tests, because FAA is looking for tolerance. Tolerance = chronicity. I would have wished for 0.14....

So very briefly, Willy, you will need to prove:
(1) That this is your one and only (need a DMV search, 10 years).
(2) That you "barely drink"....that a Certified Drug and alcohol counselor needs to determine if your claimed consumption is concordant with what you said you drink. If there is a discrepancy, well that's "lack of truthiness" and it's over....
(3) You'll need a personal statement that makes biochemical sense. It covers your drinking history since youth and what happened on that night, + your current drinking habit.
(4) Court/arrest papers...get em, these take time.

The format that the CADCs have to use for FAA is not DSM 5. Its' a variant of DSM 4 in which the factors of (1)Tolerance (2)Lifestyle centered on the use of, (3) any withdrawal syndrome (4) Blackouts, or (5)Continued use despite know consequences need to be discussed in text detail and not limited to the past 2 years ("Have you ever in your life.....") as in DSM 5. FAA has no use for Alcohol use disorder, mild/mod/severe. This can usually be done for about $200 depending on where you live.

Start cracking, this is what all they will eventually demand. If you don't get it together you will be denied. And your success depends on your personal statement and on what the CADC finds.

But I can tell you this is very hard to get together in 60 days from a demand letter. And if you "wait for the letter" you will have trouble If not completed in the 48 days after you have the letter (it takes them 12 days to deliver it)...well I warned you.....logistics are EVERYTHING. Jbrinker, above is trying to tell you that!

WIlly, did you blow? I asked that five days ago. It makes a huge difference.

If you cannot answer questions STRAIGHT, nobody can help you.

And just in case Willy doesn't understand, by "Did you blow," I believe Dr. Bruce is asking if you took a breathalizer test.

@bbchien and @Palmpilot

In Message #34 of this thread, @Willy809 stated he blew 0.177

But he doesn't qualify if this was the roadside test or the main evidentiary unit at the police station.

I went all over the city looking for the report that states what I blew and finally found the original ticket at a police precinct. I blew .177 No, I am not abstinent, I barely drink. I drink wine with my girlfriend once or twice a month at home. I was never a drinker, but I guess that time I really did and messed up really bad.

There might be some other ways to fly, but I'm not going to mention them right now. If this guy is not willing to own up to what he did, do what the FAA requires of him and get a medical, then frankly I don't want him flying. If he won't do the hoops then he's not done drinking and there is a strong possibility of more motor vehicle actions in his future. I don't want pilots like that.

Willy - come clean man. You blew .17 and then drove. Something is very wrong there, you screwed up more than you know. You're not abstinent? You need to be. Yeah, I've done it good when I was young too. But never, in my most inebriated condition, did I ever consider getting behind the wheel. I've walked 5 miles to get home, crashed on the floor and slept in the back seat, but never drove. And if I ever had, I would quit drinking entirely.

You were never a drinker? Dude, you ARE a drinker and an irresponsible one at that. Denial.

Hello everyone. After reading all these comments I really became discouraged and had decided to abandon my Aviation dream. A few weeks later a couple of friends told me not to give up and continue with the FAA letter. That is when I decided to contact Dr Bruce and ask some questions. I knew he was the one who would have a chance in helping me in this but I still had that insecure feeling about all this. We got to it and I was all over getting things and communicating with Dr Bruce. It was a challenge for me bc I had started a new job and I was also dealing with some personal issues. My mom passed away in January and it hasn't been easy. I did frustrate Dr Bruce a bit but being new at this and dealing with personal issues made things worse for the both of us. He knew exactly what to do and what I needed. I provide all documents required by the FAA and more suggested by Dr Bruce. Well, last week I called the FAA and inquired about the case and some wonderful lady told me that my Medical Certificate was approved and on its way. I can't express how happy I was when I heard the wonderful news. The letter actually arrived today at my house but Im away on business and can't see it. My buddy did open it and sent me a pic of it. I started a new job two weeks ago making really good money and I don't think I wanna quit this job to go to school full time for my ATPL. My new salary is 125k a year and is 60% travel and the office is 10 minutes from my house. It's a really good opportunity and the money is good so I'm thinking of doing my PPL after work and on the weekends when Im not traveling. Now, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Would you quit this job and enroll full time, forget about flying or do it part-time like I'm thinking of doing it and see how it goes? I really appreciate your comments and all information you guys provided. Thank you Bruce, all that I read about you online were all true.

I would not quit this new job. Use the opportunity to get yourself set up on a solid debt free financial foundation and work hard to get every long term financial stability plan fully funded. Work your plan to get your PPL on a recreational basis. Enjoy flying for yourself as you gain experience. Then after a few years batch of years, you will be in a much better spot to determine which path to take.

Congratulations. It pays to listen to Dr. Bruce, as many here have learned. The man sounds like a truly great person and a wonderful advocate for those seeking to get on the good path.

Since you asked, if I were you earning that salary, I would save AGGRESSIVELY and cash-flow the PP training over the next year, and move on to a CP and IR in the second year. Save every extra penny that isn't spent on flying while working full time. Get your hours logged and after two full years of working this new job, see if ATP is still for you. Decide then. That's just me. Again, congrats!

I made a stupid error in judgement. A friend told me about this forum, so I thought I'd come clean here and hopefully get some good advice...

I am taking Lisenopril with the diuretic. It was prescribed after my last 3rd class medical, which I passed with BP numbers in the acceptable range for the FAA, but higher than they should be. I went to a doctor a 3 months after the medical over concerns about my BP numbers.

I filled out MedXpress form without disclosing the prescription. Why? I forgot my medical renewal was due, and had a big trip planned. I felt I couldn't get all the paperwork done in time. Dumb of me I know. I now have realized I don't want to go that route and have cancelled the trip.

I have NOT scheduled an appt. with my AME...

How do I repair what I've done, seeing as how the MedXpress form is already in the system?

Thanks

What is exactly the issue here? Lisonopril is an approved medication so it should not require any special authorization. You said you have not scheduled an appt with the AME, so clearly no one has opened your application. Just submit a new application with the correct information, and take that confirmation number to the AME. The old application should simply fall off the system. I doubt the FAA is sifting through unprocessed applications in their system and cross checking the information against completed applications. Even if they do, you can say you made a mistake, which is why you submitted another one.

Congrats on the medical certificate! I used Dr Bruce as my AME (even flew back to IL to see him in person for the exam) to guide me through the hoops needed for OSA and Glaucoma. He's the best!

Regarding the job, I personally would keep the job and do the PPL after work and on weekends. Anything aviation related requires $$$ to do. Without that, it's either impossible, or you're going deep into debt to accomplish it. I'd err on the side of a good paying job and that way $$$ worries are greatly reduced, and pursue the aviation stuff in your free time. That's just me - YMMV.

Good luck with everything!

Guys, wanna thank you all again for your input. Working this new job and going for my PP is what I'm thinking of. I'm flying home feom work tomorrow evening so I'm thinking of enrolling this week at the school near me. I will add that I am very excited and the fact that I got this job and be able to the PP simultaneously os just awesome and never thought it would be possible. I'll keep you all post it. Take care. ..

What is exactly the issue here? Lisonopril is an approved medication so it should not require any special authorization. You said you have not scheduled an appt with the AME, so clearly no one has opened your application. Just submit a new application with the correct information, and take that confirmation number to the AME. The old application should simply fall off the system. I doubt the FAA is sifting through unprocessed applications in their system and cross checking the information against completed applications. Even if they do, you can say you made a mistake, which is why you submitted another one.

It's a case of a new OP necroing an old thread and not starting his own.

Guys, wanna thank you all again for your input. Working this new job and going for my PP is what I'm thinking of. I'm flying home feom work tomorrow evening so I'm thinking of enrolling this week at the school near me. I will add that I am very excited and the fact that I got this job and be able to the PP simultaneously os just awesome and never thought it would be possible. I'll keep you all post it. Take care. ..

Keep that job!!!! And save save save for retirement and also go fly for fun within a reasonable budget. I can't put it better than aggiemike Lachlan and loneaspen.

Oh and congrats on not giving up. Sometimes our past sins should not haunt us forever.

The automatic erasure after 60 days only happens if the AME or his staff have not input the confirmation number into the system.
The AME's staff isn't supposed to touch that number. If an AME is not doing it directly, he's breaking the rules.

The AME's staff isn't supposed to touch that number. If an AME is not doing it directly, he's breaking the rules.
What exactly do the rules forbid? The staff at my former AME in Michigan would ask me for my number when I signed in at the desk. If I was there for a consultation, I would have to refuse and explain why. It appears that their SOP was for the exam to be live from the get-go unless prior arrangements had been made, though I guess it is possible they just put the number in the file for the AME to input into the system.

That's OK. But the AME is supposed to be the one who enters it into the system and opens and completes the form. No delegation permitted.

Yeah, office staff where I go does ask if I have the number for the doctor, but does not ask for the number.

Yeah, office staff where I go does ask if I have the number for the doctor, but does not ask for the number.
Yes, that's a difference, since my (former) AME's staff did expect me to give them the number. Apparently that's fine as long as they don't enter it themselves. I assumed that they were actually doing that, but obviously I can't be certain. :dunno:

Hello everyone. After reading all these comments I really became discouraged and had decided to abandon my Aviation dream. A few weeks later a couple of friends told me not to give up and continue with the FAA letter. That is when I decided to contact Dr Bruce and ask some questions. I knew he was the one who would have a chance in helping me in this but I still had that insecure feeling about all this. We got to it and I was all over getting things and communicating with Dr Bruce. It was a challenge for me bc I had started a new job and I was also dealing with some personal issues. My mom passed away in January and it hasn't been easy. I did frustrate Dr Bruce a bit but being new at this and dealing with personal issues made things worse for the both of us. He knew exactly what to do and what I needed. I provide all documents required by the FAA and more suggested by Dr Bruce. Well, last week I called the FAA and inquired about the case and some wonderful lady told me that my Medical Certificate was approved and on its way. I can't express how happy I was when I heard the wonderful news. The letter actually arrived today at my house but Im away on business and can't see it. My buddy did open it and sent me a pic of it. I started a new job two weeks ago making really good money and I don't think I wanna quit this job to go to school full time for my ATPL. My new salary is 125k a year and is 60% travel and the office is 10 minutes from my house. It's a really good opportunity and the money is good so I'm thinking of doing my PPL after work and on the weekends when Im not traveling. Now, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Would you quit this job and enroll full time, forget about flying or do it part-time like I'm thinking of doing it and see how it goes? I really appreciate your comments and all information you guys provided. Thank you Bruce, all that I read about you online were all true.

Just remember. The best way to make a small fortune in aviation, is to start with a large one. :)
Max out your 401(K) and IRA contributions, then whatever is left over after living expenses, put into flight training. I don't know the salary structure for commercial aviation, but the last I heard, entry level pilots barely made minimum wage, and you probably have to be a regional airline captain to make $125K, and you need 1500 hours just to be a First Officer.

But, congratulations on overcoming those obstacles, and stay sober, one day at time. Use airplanes to get high, not alcohol or other recreational drugs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back