I screwed up...MedXpress...

U

Unregistered

I made a stupid error in judgement. A friend told me about this forum, so I thought I'd come clean here and hopefully get some good advice...

I am taking Lisenopril with the diuretic. It was prescribed after my last 3rd class medical, which I passed with BP numbers in the acceptable range for the FAA, but higher than they should be. I went to a doctor a 3 months after the medical over concerns about my BP numbers.

I filled out MedXpress form without disclosing the prescription. Why? I forgot my medical renewal was due, and had a big trip planned. I felt I couldn't get all the paperwork done in time. Dumb of me I know. I now have realized I don't want to go that route and have cancelled the trip.

I have NOT scheduled an appt. with my AME...

How do I repair what I've done, seeing as how the MedXpress form is already in the system?

Thanks

If an AME doesn't open it, it disappears from the system after 30 days.

Dr. Bruce can answer but I think you can just fess up at the actual exam.

If you never hand over the confirmation number, the existing information vaporizes in 30-45 days.

But you'll need to start over with a fresh email address. This is easy to obtain with gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.

As far as the BP Meds, seek Dr. Bruce Chien's advice on what additional documentation you need to bring to the AME. If any... I think this is now under CACI) www.aeromedicaldoc.com

AFAIK, the meds you mention just need to be disclosed. That with a letter from your Doc that BP is well controlled is all that's needed.

Like others have said, if the AME doesn't open the Medexpress form it vaporizes in 30 days.

Cheers

The AME can edit you MedXpress during your visit. Call them first before making the appointment.

Tread carefully with this... a risk exists that the form could go live with information that the airmen inserted on error that causes all sorts of alarm bells in OKC to sound.

Better to let the "incorrect" submission fade away and restart.

however, the FAA could just give the NSA a call if they have any questions about previous submittals :D

While I recognize and appreciate the snark, I'll reply, "yeah... right! Like there is money in the budget to chase that rabbit."

Isn't anyone curious about this recent rash of "unregistered" medical questions.......?
Seems fishy to me.

Isn't anyone curious about this recent rash of "unregistered" medical questions.......?
Seems fishy to me.

What would be the motive for starting a "fishy" thread?

So unreg, just go to Hotmail, make a new email address, do another medxpress and submit and use that one. Let the other one get swept into the cybergarbage (automatic after 60 days).

All the AME needs is a note saying that you doc is satisfied (for at least 2 weeks) with your BP control

See the attached page from the AME guide revised in June 2013.

Attachments

• HTN.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 559
Is it necessary to create a new single-use, single-purpose, disposable e-mail address here? I'd think one might be concerned about putting something disqualifying into the system in error, such that its subsequent removal raises a red flag. In this case, putting additional adverse information into the record after first contact that is adduced at the actual medical exam would seem to fall under 'how the system is supposed to work', at least to the reigning Forces of Darkness.

Is it necessary to create a new single-use, single-purpose, disposable e-mail address here? I'd think one might be concerned about putting something disqualifying into the system in error, such that its subsequent removal raises a red flag. In this case, putting additional adverse information into the record after first contact that is adduced at the actual medical exam would seem to fall under 'how the system is supposed to work', at least to the reigning Forces of Darkness.

The need for the second "one time use" email is due to the design that prohibits a change after the submission has happened and then the problem is discovered.

If a change is required to provide the correct info, a new email is needed to create the submission

In addition to what AggieMike wrote, if I understand what Bruce has written previously, your MedXpress submission goes into a contractor's computer, and it doesn't get sent to the FAA until someone at your AME's office enters the confirmation number.

DJT, see post 14. If you wish you can FOIA Northrop Grummans' contract to operate the Non-FAA server onto which you put your medxpress. Everything not picked up by a designee is wiped at 60 days.

Anything not picked up by a designee is considered "unverified data" just like the IACRA I put in today, signing off my CFI-I student. It's real once the DPE picks it up.

Example: Someone (unsaid) puts in a medxpress in the name of our dear Leader. It sits, nothing happens. But the minute it gets picked up by the AME, it's Secret Service at the door. If nobody picks it up, it's gone gone gone in 60 days, never having been verified.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the replies...especially Bruce C...

I have filled out another form with a new email address, and am going to take BP readings for 2 weeks then get with my treating physician and get a letter for my AME.

I have joined POA and hope to 'give back' some day.

Thanks again!

Hello everyone. I've read this post and was wondering if I can get some input as well. For the past 10 years I've been thinking of pursuing my dream and become a pilot. I'm an engineer and I've been flying for work for the last 20 years(80%travel). After losing my job back in September I've decided to take time off and it hit me. Why not go for my ATPL!. I enrolled in a nearby school and did my IACRA and was told to go see my nearest AME. I wasn't aware of the MedXpress application and the chick at the doctor's office had me fill it out while on site. Well, since I was so anxious to fly I filled it out too fast and didn't disclose everything on it. The office did receive my confirmation number and I was seen by the AME and I was asked to bring in some additional information on a D.U.I. that I have going back 20 years. When my EKG was performed the AME asked me about a scar on my belly and I told him I had surgery in 1991. He said that I had to disclose that information to the FAA and he was able to edit my application and emphasized on how strict the FAA is and it scared me because I did not disclose a couple of things from my past because I was in a rush to fill out the application, getting my medical and go flying. Well, I went home and researched a lot about the FAA and the MedXpress application and the trouble that I can encounter. Since the office used my confirmation number and if I don't continue with the medical will it be erased in two months like I've read in this forum and start a new one with a new Email address? I really don't wanna pursue this application because I am really afraid I'm gonna be rejected by the FAA. I didn't know any better and that is my fault. It would really suck to not pursue my dream and be fined or end up in jail because of some items not included in my application. Thank you all.

The automatic erasure after 60 days only happens if the AME or his staff have not input the confirmation number into the system.

OK, so what happens if I just don't go back to the AME and abandon this dream of mine? Would the FAA go after me? Or is there a way to come clean with the AME and include missing information on the application? I had a motorcycle accident in 2008 and I was hospitalized and had a surgery on my left leg as well and I didn't think it would matter.

Contact Dr Bruce.
Are those the only two items?
No other DUI in 20yrs.

Who is this Dr Bruce ? I hear his name all over this forum. If his number is provided I'll definately give him a call. Yes, that is my only DUI and accident which I was issued 3 tickets and they were all dismissed. I have a couple of infractions such as driving too close, maybe a speeding ticket or two, but the MedXpress application doesn't request infractions.

OK, so what happens if I just don't go back to the AME and abandon this dream of mine? Would the FAA go after me? Or is there a way to come clean with the AME and include missing information on the application? I had a motorcycle accident in 2008 and I was hospitalized and had a surgery on my left leg as well and I didn't think it would matter.

Was the only info that didn't come out and get disclosed was the motorcycle accident? It sounds like they know about the DUI, right? And he edited the app for the scar from an operation whatever that was. I don't think disclosing the motor cycle accident and surgery for it after the fact would be that big of a deal. It's not really the kind of thing they're looking for I wouldn't think. But I'm not speaking from any knowledge at all. Pure speculation on my part. :)

Thank you BrianNC. I wouldn't think so neither and hope not. The DUI I admitted it on the MedXpress application when I originally filled it out. I'm thinking of visiting him tomorrow since I've picked up the requested documentations regarding my DUI and I've also received new meds for my HBP. I think he said if my alcohol level is higher than 0.150 then I'll be subjected to some type of professional and it can tale the FAA up to two months to grant me the medical. Any idea on this? My alcohol level was 0.177.(Ouch)

Thank you BrianNC. I wouldn't think so neither and hope not. The DUI I admitted it on the MedXpress application when I originally filled it out. I'm thinking of visiting him tomorrow since I've picked up the requested documentations regarding my DUI and I've also received new meds for my HBP. I think he said if my alcohol level is higher than 0.150 then I'll be subjected to some type of professional and it can tale the FAA up to two months to grant me the medical. Any idea on this? My alcohol level was 0.177.(Ouch)

No clue about the DUI. Sorry.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com is Dr Bruce Chien's contact information. Yes, anything over .15 on the DUI will get more complicated. Contact Dr Bruce, and channeling AggieMike right now, be honest & don't hide anything from him.

The DUI will be you biggest issue.

As far as the other omitted stuff, bringing in the info for your doc at the same time as the DUI info will probably make everything right, since he can edit the form.

Chances are you won't be issued a cert due to the DUI, however the fact that it occurred so long ago may allow the AME to issue.

Regardless, whatever the FAA asks for, get it to them. Don't delay. If you decide to try again in 50 years or so, the FAA will still require all that info.

The other tickets you describe shouldn't be an issue, as long as your license wasn't suspended.

Thank you all. I feel a bit better from all of your inputs on this. I hear Dr Kevin Fox, AME in my area, is a real cool dude and is always willing to help out. I've printed all necessary driving history including my DUI tickets and will see Dr Fox today. My DUI seems to be the biggest deal and he is aware of it. His assistant did tell me I will pass my medical but due to my DUI it may take a month or two since this is my 1st medical. He also said I can take classes and fly but will not be permitted to take my Solo without the medical. I'll just continue on flying my RC's and drones until this is all resolved. I've been flying RC planes for the last 12 years and to hopefully fly the real things in the future will be awesome. Thanks to you all again.

and channeling AggieMike right now
[[answers in his best approximation of Lurch]] "You Rang?"

Not sure I have much to add to Willy809's list, except to reinforce going straight to an AME well known for handling cases similar to his. And Dr. Bruce Chien is one of these AME's.

As to the unreported 20 year ago DUI, if you were not a pilot back then and so you didn't have to fill out a 61.15 report, you will need a CADC evaluation (Cert. Alc. & Drug Counselor) according to DSM4 outlines, a 10 year negative otherwise DMV search, a personal statement, some remote evidence of an educational course, and whatever papers are still available from the Clerk of the court.

Now if the AME used the 12 digit code to view the application, prepare for a fusillade of demands from the FAA, and the eventual denial. So start cracking at getting this stuff!

My AME wasn't in the office today so I'll return this week when I receive my new glasses as he required me to do so. I didn't pass his eye test as he claimed I have a weak left eye and he was right. Another question if I may ask you guys. I read on another forum that pilots with a DUI aren't hired by airlines and that their Resumes are kept at the bottom of the pile. Is this true? I wouldn't wanna be a CFI forever, a pilot's dream and goal is to eventually fly Legacy, Regional, Major-Nationals etc...

Willy, did you blow? and if you did, what did you blow? It makes a HUGE difference in what you are going to need.....and are you abstinent?

You shouldn't worry even about the regionals yet.....

Dr. Bruce nice to hear from you and thank you. I've read a lot about you. Just read your comment and saddened by it as you stated "and the eventual denial". Is this true that I will eventually get denied despite my efforts? I did disclose my DUI on the MedXpress application at the time that I filled it out. I don't wanna continue this medical nor dream of mine if it is indeed true that I will eventually be denied. I don't have a job and time is money. If i abandon this medical will the FAA come after me anyways? It's starting to sound like a nightmare. What happens if the AME doesn't complete my medical in two weeks? That's the time he gave me to submit to him my DUI records.

Willy, did you blow? and if you did, what did you blow? It makes a HUGE difference in what you are going to need.....and are you abstinent?

You shouldn't worry even about the regionals yet.....
I went all over the city looking for the report that states what I blew and finally found the original ticket at a police precinct. I blew .177 No, I am not abstinent, I barely drink. I drink wine with my girlfriend once or twice a month at home. I was never a drinker, but I guess that time I really did and messed up really bad.

@Willy809 ... that you have on record an incident where you blew 0.177 BAC, that is big thing that the FAA is going to want to know about. And it isn’t just that single point in time. They want to know SIGNIFICANTLY more about your overall physical and psychological makeup that got you there and allows you to get there.

The FAA acts as a warden to prevent individuals that have developed a tolerance for high alcohol limits from obtaining and exercising pilot privileges. So for individuals such as yourself, the ball will be placed squarely in your court to prove beyond shadows of doubt that you are willing to prove you are worthy of flying privileges by doing everything they will ask of you.

The letter you are going to get will have the specific details of what the FAA wants. Search back through this forum, and you will see that the requirements will include
  • A $6000 to $10,000 budget to pay for they various things the FAAwill require of you.
  • A neuro cognative psychological screen of extreme depth that only a very few HIMS psychologists can administer, paid for out of your pocket
  • Direct sponsorship with a Senior HIMS AME, to whom you report to frequently and to whom you must demonstrate you are doing what is required to earn the medical certificate. There are very, very few of these AME’s, so plan on frequent travel to see the one who is working your case.
  • 90 days of intensive alcohol dependency treatment.
  • 100% sobriety and abstinence from all alcohol. Wine with girlfriend and beer with buddies is now verboten,
    für immer
  • Documented attendance with alcohol dependency meetings
  • Many, many random pee in the cup whiz quizzes
  • And much, much more.

All of this must be done in exacting detail for you to be granted a Special Issuance medical. Only after continued proven 100% sobriety for a long period of time will you be allowed back into the normal issuance group.

Reading this and then saying back to us, “but I am not an alcoholic, I do not have a drinking problem” is an incorrect response.

That you blew 0.177 is a strong indicator that, per the FAA standards, there is a problem.

The correct response is saying, “fine, I have a problem. Let’s get with meeting the requirements and make this thing happen.”

Humble and humility wins the day over arrogance and unwillingness to accept and change.

Last edited:
I don't have a job and time is money
So if currently unemployed, how are you going to fund pilot training, time building, and the war chest to clear your medical?

And doing debt (consumer, student loans) isn’t a smart answer.

If i abandon this medical will the FAA come after me anyways?
If by “come after me”, you are asking will the FAA seek you out through the court system for civil or criminal prosecution, no, they will not do that.

However, once your medical application is returned as denied, your ability to possess the medical certificate required to operate a motorized aircraft is forever denied. It also closes the door on Sport Pilot.

However, once your medical application is returned as denied, your ability to possess the medical certificate required to operate a motorized aircraft is forever denied.
It's not forever denied if he eventually reapplies and is successful at jumping through all the hoops to convince the FAA that he meets the standards as Dr. Bruce has outlined. And it wouldn't have any effect on flying ultralights.

Dr. Bruce, you stated " prepare for a fusillade of demands from the FAA, and the eventual denial. So start cracking at getting this stuff!". If for sure I'll be denied the medical then why would you suggest " So start cracking at getting this stuff!"? It's the end of the beginning for me as I wouldn't continue this chase with the FAA. I thank you for your comment.

Dr. Bruce, you stated " prepare for a fusillade of demands from the FAA, and the eventual denial. So start cracking at getting this stuff!". If for sure I'll be denied the medical then why would you suggest " So start cracking at getting this stuff!"? It's the end of the beginning for me as I wouldn't continue this chase with the FAA. I thank you for your comment.

Being denied does not mean that you can't get a medical, you may very well be able to get to the goal line. But, it will take monetary and time commitments to get there. How badly do you want it? If you want it badly enough, hire Bruce, be straight with him, and follow everything he asks you to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back