I saw the Airbus 380 yesterday morning

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/26/AR2007032601645.html

I was on the 6 AM flight from Savannah to Dulles (I visited the house this past weekend with family and friends, thought I'd see if taking the first flight home in time to get to work was do-able).

We landed a little before 730 and taxied in. There she was, in all her glory. I had to crane my neck to get any kind of look at her. Big is an understatement.

"Caution, wake turbulence from the Airbus that departed 20 minutes ago..." :hairraise:

As CHA is a low use charlie, we get a lot of military aircraft that come up here for practice, T-1A Jayhawks, C-130's, etc. Once in a blue moon, we'll get a C-5 in the pattern.

I had called tower as I moved towards the hold short line, and they told me to hold short for landing traffic, and I look right and see a C-5 on short final. Man, do they look huge up close. After his T&G, tower advises Caution, wake turb. Uh, yeah. Asked for and got an immediate left turn on departure, did a short field takeoff, and hung left immediately.

I had called tower as I moved towards the hold short line, and they told me to hold short for landing traffic, and I look right and see a C-5 on short final. Man, do they look huge up close. After his T&G, tower advises Caution, wake turb. Uh, yeah. Asked for and got an immediate left turn on departure, did a short field takeoff, and hung left immediately.

What does a short field takeoff get you? The wings were generating lift until it touched down along with the associated wake turbulence. Plus there is usually at least a slight headwind which will push them towards you. A short field takeoff might make it worse because you're going to be at a high angle of attack with a lot of power. It wouldn't take too huge of a bump to get you in trouble.

This is why you land short for a departing large aircraft and land long (touch down after them) for a landing large aircraft.

When this would occur at RST I would either wait several minutes or I would start my takeoff AFTER where it touched down which was an option since the runway was 10,000 ft.

Last edited:
Get airborne and into the left turn quicker (less distance down the runway).

Just fine so long as you don't turn left across the dissipating wingtip vortex...

Just fine so long as you don't turn left across the dissipating wingtip vortex...

Exactly. Since you can't see the wake turbulence you are simply playing a guessing game. One day, statistically, you are bound to lose.

When this would occur at RST I would either wait several minutes or I would start my takeoff AFTER where it touched down which was an option since the runway was 10,000 ft.

This is another reason why I do not mind intersection departure at airports with heavy metal. It is easier to take off after their landing point and lift has stopped being generated by their wings. Just make sure you have enough room left though

Since the heavy jet was doing a touch and go, the only option was to get airborne as early as possible. You'd be off soon enough so that previous turbulence at that point has rolled off the runway but you'd have to turn upwind to be well clear of any ahead.

Since the heavy jet was doing a touch and go, the only option was to get airborne as early as possible.

Or, wait 6 minutes or so and then roll. (I know standard is 3 min, but for a heavy that size...)

I did learn an important lesson once. I was 2nd to go behind a CRJ, and was cleared for takeoff right after the CRJ had rotated. I rolled, expecting the controller to grant me a turnout once I rotated, but no dice, the controller wouldn't give me a turn in either direction. So, as expected, I flew into the wake turbulence. Luckily not much roll component, but it still shook the airplane pretty hard.

I now ask for the turnout when I read back the takeoff clearance, and if I don't get the turn, I decline the clearance and wait.

You always have the option of waiting a bit....

-Skip
Agreed.

I started to go back and edit that in to my post this morning but I got a bit busy. Ya got any idea how hard it is to outrun cops and still post online??? Life's hard!

:goofy:

As you know, I took my granddaughter to DC for spring break. Just by chance we were at the musuem at Dulles the day the Airbus was there. Took these pictures from the observation tower.

Attachments

• Img_0178.jpg
    Img_0178.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Img_0179.jpg
    Img_0179.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Img_0180.jpg
    Img_0180.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Img_0181.jpg
    Img_0181.jpg