I now proudly own a Supercub

That's the least expensive flying you'll ever do, depending on the fuel you use glo vs. gas

I always try and keep the wheels on my J-3 on the down side when on the ground. :hairraise:

That's cool. Is that an electric powered RC plane?

Like that Green Day song also.

=I always try and keep the wheels on my J-3 on the down side when on the ground. :hairraise:
The grass is too high. It couldn't even taxi on that grass--so the only likely scenario during landing is a flip over.

Hey Jess I have that same plane. Looks like a hobby zone park flyer. Lots of fun.

Hmm I really need to get off my ass and do some real J-3 flying ($95/hr dual wet in HXF)

...and let me say that no one else is going to buy him a super cub for an early B-day present and then wake up at 6 in the morning to video tape him flying it! :)

It's flown three times since we got it yesterday. For such a large airplane it looks pretty docile, definitely a good starter plane.

It's flown three times since we got it yesterday. For such a large airplane it looks pretty docile, definitely a good starter plane.

Actually..5 times :)

Well Jesse If you want to talk RC , i have a J-3 (gas) Piper Cherokee (gas) and sportster 40 (gas) and my pride and joy A 1/5 scale Waco 1.2 cid 4 stroke.
Crashed my parkflyer j-3 (not a pretty sight lost control (out of range) and landing on the highway.
Dave G.

Now that is just too, too cool. :)

I warned him if he "tweaked" the controls it was going to end up flat on its back!!!:rofl:

That's the least expensive flying you'll ever do, depending on the fuel you use glo vs. gas

I always try and keep the wheels on my J-3 on the down side when on the ground. :hairraise:

Sooooooooo...... THAT'S why our new chat is not getting installed!

:D

I think the RCs would be fun but I'm certain that as soon as I turned it around back toward me, I'd crash the thing in a heartbeat. :eek:

You ain't seen ugly till you see what's left of my Senaca. Lost one engine low slow and downwind. :(

I assume everyone here has seen the 'RC a/c crash' video that is always playing at one of the vendors at OSH? It's funny watching people walk up and think that it's real. They look so upset that people are laughing and OH!'ing to these deathly crashes. Then they realize that it's just RC and they let out a sigh of relief. Usually a fairly good sized crowd standing around watching it.

There's only two kinds of RC planes, those that have crashed and those that will. :(

I always told that to my RC students. Told them never ever fall in love with an RC model (I sorta did with the Senaca. Bad move) and they'd learn to fly on their own quicker. Most did. :)

I'd really like to get a video camera, transmitter, receiver, and goggles so that I can fly it from the cockpit view...Soo tempting.

I almost bought that same plane. Instead I have the Aerobird Challenger with the aerial combat module and so does a friend. When you get on someone's six, you push a button on your transmitter to "shoot." The aerial combat units beep loudly to let you know when you're firing or have been hit. If you're aiming at the other plane and are close enough to get a hit, the other plane's engine cuts out for several seconds. The other pilot still has control but has to hope they have plenty of altitude to avoid a forced landing. It's really fun!

The Aerobird Challenger has two modes, basically idiot mode vs. expert mode, and in expert mode you can do some decent aerobatics. However I discovered a flaw with this plane's foam wing: it is not strong enough and can just snap if you pull up too hard. So I always leave it in idiot mode and am content to fly around in circles.

Jesse if your plane can accept that combat module I bet you would kick my butt. :)

Kate, I think there is a module for it.

I am planning on mounting a video camera w/ transmitter on it so that I can fly it "from the pilots seat". There are lots of cool things you can buy like OSD (on screen displays) that are similar to what you see in military aircraft. Airspeed, altimeter, heading, a GPS arrow that points at your takeoff location...A fail-safe autopilot that will fly the plane home if you lose radio signal, etc.

As far as the wing, the Super cub has plastic struts that go from the outter edge of the wing all the way to the fuselage. They are quite strong and prevent the wing from snapping if the wing gets loaded.

Back