I never dreamed-----60 years ago.

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I was going through some of my pictures that my oldest daughter had posted for me, and came acrossed this one. I was 12 years old and never dreamed I would be flying over this spot some 50+ years later.
Joe Carter was up in his 70s and they sent me along with him to help him. We tore down an old corral down on Clover Creek and moved it with a team of horses and a two wheeled cart. Then we built a new round corral up on the new road. In the picture the corral we built is in shambles. They have since replaced it with a newer one. Joe would brag how I could harness that big team of horses. I had to get up on the tounge of the cart to reach the horses necks, for the collars and the haines. We stayed in a sheep hearders tent. I still remember how bad that breakfast cereal was with canned milk. I had to go get the horses in the mornings as they were just hobbled at night and they could move some. I found them one morning and started back to camp when I came upon a rattle snake. I killed him and when I got back to the camp with the horses Joe asked me where the hobbles were. I had to go back and look for them and remembering the story where there is one snake there is usually two. I found the hobbles and ran like hell.
I guess when you get old, all you have time to do is thing back on those old days. :yes: Bob

Attachments

• Carter Corals.jpg
    Carter Corals.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 43
Good story Bob, and great memories I am sure.

I wish I had a dollar for every post I sunk in the ground. :rolleyes: Funny to see they went back with two square pens, I never liked the square pens, gave stock a chance to corner and nail ya'. To each their own, but I sure don't miss the daily bumps and broken toes from working the horses. Although, those long easy rides at dusk where the only noise is the squeaking of the sadlle reminding you to spend some time to oil and the steady beat of the feet picking a path......ahhhh it still stirs the heart and soul.

Back