i need some help on GPS purchase

eric_ocean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
osprey1
i'm looking into getting a handheld GPS...i fly different planes so i figured a smaller handheld would be best....i was looking into the lowrance 600c...any help on options and price would be appreciated....
thanks very much
eric_ocean

are you looking at new or used. I have heard good things about the lowrance line but dont have a lot of experience with them. If you are going to be IFR a lot, a 396 is primo, but will cost you. But if you are going to IFR a lot, it will pay for itself. Otherwise a 295 or 195 garmin has plenty of capability and can be found pretty cheap on ebay or from avionics shops. Red Eagle Avionics will probably reply, hes got the knowledge to answer your questions.

no preference on new or used.... im a vfr student pilot....just looking for a backup....
thanks very much for your help

id recommend a garmin 195. can be had used for pretty cheap and have a nice sized moving map with good functionality. not color or anything fancypants and is a little bigger than the other garmin handhelds, but comparable/smaller than the lowrances.

that sounds like a great choice...do you know anywhere , that sells used aviation equipment...i always thought about that but was worried that the product could be miss used or without the instructions...etc...thanks for your help!

Garmin 296 is a good value now that the XM equip't 396 & 496's are out. It also can be used in the car and boat.

Amongst the aviation gps units, I've only had Garmins. My Pilot III gps served me just fine for the first few years.

Pretty much, you get a course to steer, distance and speed. If you want to make an investment, I'd check out the 296s right now as mentioned earlier. You'll get a good color GPS, with terrain, and some airport info in the database.

You'll probably upgrade to a... 596 when it comes out anyways. :)

Based on over 300 hours flying with it, I love my Lowrance 500 -- right price (about $350 new), and all the features I need for VFR flying and IFR situational awareness, along with very compact size for sticking in the old nav bag. You can download database updates every six months or so for like $35 a pop.

I have a 2000c and am very happy with it. I would actully prefer a 600c because it feels like I'm lugging around a brick with the 2000c. Updates are very easy to do and quick. I bought mine from www.avionicswest.com they had an awesome deal on them, but it doesn't look like their price for the 600c is any cheaper than anyone else right now.

AirBaker said:
Amongst the aviation gps units, I've only had Garmins. My Pilot III gps served me just fine for the first few years.

I loved using the Pilot III of my instructors.

Back