I need my cloud license!

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Just wanted you all to know that my wife informed me this evening that I need to get my "cloud license". At least she's very supportive of my piloting.

Hit "Direct to... KLNK," bring money, in two weeks time, Jesse will fix you right up.

Or, call Ron Levy, he comes to town with a Sim and a smile, same result.

Hit "Direct to... KLNK," bring money, in two weeks time, Jesse will fix you right up.

LOL

there is a written and a check ride involved you know

but to the OP yes you do, glad your wife knows that flying at night in not IFR

Last edited:
You need a license now to look at clouds while flying? Man, I knew things were getting bad with government control of everything, but this is rediculous! :rofl:

Last edited:
My wife told me to get the it after the third time we were stranded. I offered no argument.

What does it cost?
I believe the current rate is about $600/day, plus instructor's travel and lodging, and whatever it costs you to fly about 23 hours in your airplane (average flight time for the 10-day program). That does not include the examiner's fee, which is typically $300-500, depending on location, but it does include unlimited use of the sim we bring. We plan the practical test on the last (10th) day, and the instructor stays with you for that. Add it all up, and you'll be spending on the order of $10K, soup to nuts, including tax, tags, and freight.

You may find some programs advertising lower prices, but they generally require some minimum number of instrument hours or prior training time. We assume zero prior instrument training (other than having the written passed), and only the three hours of instrument time required for PP. If you have prior instrument training, we'll tailor a shorter "finish-up" program based on your situation. I just did a 5-day "finish-up" with a guy who'd done almost all the training two years ago (before he got his Garmin 430) on a part-time basis, with no training since -- checkride on the afternoon of Day 5, passed with "flying colors."

Either option is a good one.

I believe the current rate is about $600/day, plus instructor's travel and lodging, and whatever it costs you to fly about 23 hours in your airplane (average flight time for the 10-day program). That does not include the examiner's fee, which is typically $300-500, depending on location, but it does include unlimited use of the sim we bring. We plan the practical test on the last (10th) day, and the instructor stays with you for that. Add it all up, and you'll be spending on the order of $10K, soup to nuts, including tax, tags, and freight.

You may find some programs advertising lower prices, but they generally require some minimum number of instrument hours or prior training time. We assume zero prior instrument training (other than having the written passed), and only the three hours of instrument time required for PP. If you have prior instrument training, we'll tailor a shorter "finish-up" program based on your situation. I just did a 5-day "finish-up" with a guy who'd done almost all the training two years ago (before he got his Garmin 430) on a part-time basis, with no training since -- checkride on the afternoon of Day 5, passed with "flying colors."

Brings up an interesting question: In general, how much re-training is necessary for the guy who started elsewhere (law of primacy and all that stuff)? Is there any data to support that it's not as safe? Pass/fail rates at least? Pilot retention? (scratching bottom of barrel)

Brings up an interesting question: In general, how much re-training is necessary for the guy who started elsewhere (law of primacy and all that stuff)?
Depends on the quality and amount of the original training, and the time since since that training was taken.

Is there any data to support that it's not as safe?
None of which I am aware.

Pass/fail rates at least?
They don't get signed off until they're ready to take and pass the test, regardless of what prior training they may or may not have had.

Pilot retention? (scratching bottom of barrel)
I have no idea.

Well, I can think of 1 scenario where good instruction may be less-safe....arrogance.

Well, I can think of 1 scenario where good instruction may be less-safe....arrogance.
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. But I'm not sure that has anything to do with the effect of prior training on later training unless the arrogance arose from the prior training.

Arrogance is a personality trait. I think an arrogant person will be just as overconfident with lower quality training. And arrogance with poor training is arguable worse than arrogance with good training...

Arrogance is a personality trait. I think an arrogant person will be just as overconfident with lower quality training. And arrogance with poor training is arguable worse than arrogance with good training...

Will they not have the same result? Isn't that all we care about? Safe or Dead.

Ok, I get that part. I'm looking for long term - after they leave your tutelage.

Like anything else - long term results are a reflection on pilot attitude.

I'm reminded of a section from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
http://tinyurl.com/d2sdl9x

Like assembling a Japanese bicycle, Instrument Flying requires great peace of mind.

Ok, I get that part. I'm looking for long term - after they leave your tutelage.
Depends on whether they can find someone else to sign them off, although if they are sufficiently arrogant, they'll probably just file and go without the formality of actually adding the rating to their ticket. If that happens, we'll probably read about it eventually.

Brings up an interesting question: In general, how much re-training is necessary for the guy who started elsewhere (law of primacy and all that stuff)? Is there any data to support that it's not as safe? Pass/fail rates at least? Pilot retention? (scratching bottom of barrel)

One point about doing practice approaches is that if you're practicing stuff you haven't learned, you may be teaching yourself how to do it wrong. Then, when you start the IR training, the CFI-IA has to spend a lot of time (and your money) un-teaching you all that wrong stuff before you can learn the right stuff. Nothing wrong with practicing between lessons that which you've been taught, but I recommend against just going out and trying to fly instrument approaches before you've been trained on how to do them right.
Does the question make more sense now that it's better sequentially arranged?

:D

I got the go ahead to get my cloud license after my first and last VFR long cross country with my wife. She didn't appreciate the uncertainty, the bouncing along under the cloud layer and the delays due to weather changes. She refused to go with me again until I could promise a nice smooth ride above the clouds and no worries or delays due to weather.

I loved doing the IR training. It was much more fun than the PPL.

My wife has also given the "cloud training" go ahead. A long delay on a cc is a terrific sales technique.

Back