I must haz one

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
Ok, so I just finished reading a guy's experience getting his tail wheel endorsement on another forum and have decided two things... I must get my TW endorsement as soon as I find out who this guy got his from in central TX, and I must own this Piper Pacer I found today. Problem is, I have enough for about 50% of the plane and last I checked I need all of it for it to fly. So who wants to do a partnership and/or donate to the help Landon get an airplane cause? :smilewinkgrin:

I hear Piper Tri Pacers are like ME-109's.... Easy to flip on landing due to the tight landing gear. Be careful in it.

He's going for the Pacer, not the Tri-Pacer. The original Pacer had conventional gear (taildragger). I got to see a couple of them at the TAAA Fly-In in Gainesville, TX back in June.

I hear Piper Tri Pacers are like ME-109's.... Easy to flip on landing due to the tight landing gear. Be careful in it.

I've never heard of Tripacers being easy to flip. The nose wheel is as big as the mains which makes it a bit better on rough terrain than most nose wheel planes. Pacers (the tailwheel version) are a little short coupled and have a relatively narrow gear. I've heard from realiable Pacer pilots that they do like to swap ends with out much notice.(gotta' always flying the plane all the way to the parking spot.)

Barb

Pish and tosh (assuming you mean Pacers, not Tri-Pacers). I've heard the same about Luscombes and old Cessnas, and I doubt it, based on other testimonies and my own experience with old Cessnas (C-140), Cubs, and Champs (although Champs are very easy for tailwheel newbies).
I think anyone who's ground-looped such a plane or put it on its nose when rolling out or taxiing, and blames the landing gear geometry, is not being honest about what really went wrong.

Never flown a Pacer, but I hear that like C-140s and Luscombes, being a classic TW airplane, they have a tendency to do exactly what you tell 'em to do when taxiing- immediately. Not really a bad trait, but something you must adjust for if most of your time is with nosewheels. It's very do-able... if I can do it, I think anybody can.

You will understand if and when you do that TW add-on, regardless of what type it's done in. With practice, the tail-wagginess becomes an asset during ground ops.
Just remember that the CG is aft of the mains; brakes are (usually)for stopping, not for slowing down or steering; you should always park it pointing into the wind unless you're tying it down; and in general fly it until you switch off the mags and get out, and you will do fine with any old taildragger.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Tripacers being easy to flip. The nose wheel is as big as the mains which makes it a bit better on rough terrain than most nose wheel planes.

Ask and ye shall recieve (ok, it was a soft field...)

(and all taildraggers like to swap ends)

Attachments

• 104 Northway4 crop.jpg
    104 Northway4 crop.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 30
In his post, the guy says the instructors first name but not his last and I have been unable to contact him through pm. So, does anyone know a guy named Ken that does TW instruction in a Super Cub with big fat bush tires that operates out of central TX?

Back