I might be performing the Solemnization of Marriage tomorrow

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I am a groomsman for my friend's marriage tomorrow. I also happen to be an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church.

It appears that the snow may keep the scheduled minister from making the marriage tomorrow, and in that case, my friend has told me he would like me to perform the marriage ceremony. Checking the laws in New Mexico, it appears that will not be a problem, because they do not require a registration of minesterial credentials, which I have never filed with the state because I never thought I'd need them.

All I would be doing is following the previous minister's script, but it seems pretty intense. I am doing some studying to see what kind of things must be done, such as filing paperwork and whatnot after the marriage. It appears that I must have the two of them sign the marriage certificate (which is included with the previous minister's script) and mail it to the Bernalillo County Clerk within 90 days. Am I missing anything else? Anyone have any advice (if you've been there yourself)?

Last edited:
I am a groomsman for my friend's marriage tomorrow. I also happen to be an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church.

All I would be doing is following the previous minister's script, but it seems pretty intense. I am doing some studying to see what kind of things must be done, such as filing paperwork and whatnot after the marriage. It appears that I must have the two of them sign the marriage certificate (which is included with the previous minister's script). Am I missing anything else? Anyone have any advice (if you've been there yourself)?

Hey, me too. 10 minutes on the internet and you too can be an ordained minister (Used to be an ad in the back of Rolling Stone and $20). I did it specifically for doing weddings (and to a lesser degree, dusters), and have done several hundred over the years typically on boats, but occassionally in airplanes and once skydiving. Read through the service several times so you don't screw it up to bad. When you do screw it up a little, keep going, most likely no one noticed. When you screw it up bad like getting tongue tied, a small self depracating joke gets a chuckle and a moment for you to recoup and just continue. The reason you'll screw it up is because it's more important for you to look at the people you are joining than at the script, so until you have the full speel down, you're gonna flub a line here and there, everyone does, don't let it become a drama. Let it be a humorous memory to tell the grand kids.

Don't forget to sign the marriage license. Some states require YOU to turn the license back into the clerk of the court, so go down to city hall and ask them what they require of you in the process, it's never much.

Speak in Esperanto, no one will know if you screwed up or not. In fact, you could probably get away with reading the back of a bag of dog food. Just say it with meaning.

You have to get the papers signed by 2 witnesses, too. Usually, the Best Man and Maid of Honor.

Was a non-event, the minister showed up. Funny enough, she was ordained by Universal Life Church also.

If a ship's Captain can marry two people ( The Love Boat, as I recall ), then can we marry someone on a plane we are PIC?

If a ship's Captain can marry two people ( The Love Boat, as I recall ), then can we marry someone on a plane we are PIC?
Would you really want to live the rest of your life knowing you committed such an act upon a fellow man? :D

Actually, that was taken away from us back in the late 80s, which was why I did the Universal Life Ordination thing.

Funny thing is, in Texas, even if the official performing the ceremony lacks the legal capacity to do so, if the couple believes that they are getting married, then it generally counts.

Heck, I've heard in a couple states all you have to do is announce yourself as "husband and wife" or introduce your significant other as your spouse... and, that's it! You're legally hitched!

And, they say a contract by your word alone is no longer any good! :dunno:

And in some countries all the man has to do in order to reverse the mess is proclaim aloud, "I divorce thee" three times and its over!

Hey Nick what does the man on the ground say about the wx in abq, some say there are delays (vis? bran?), some say its local and transient. I was called to rescue someone there tomorrow (right).

And in some countries all the man has to do in order to reverse the mess is proclaim aloud, "I divorce thee" three times and its over!

Hey Nick what does the man on the ground say about the wx in abq, some say there are delays (vis? bran?), some say its local and transient. I was called to rescue someone there tomorrow (right).

If you mean ABQ - the delays are lifted now (although more snow is on the way I hear). If you mean AEG - the runways are in pretty crappy condition. We don't have the equipment to clear snow and ice off the runways, so they plowed the ramp and runway exactly ONCE in the last 3 days. You might want to call ahead of time to be sure.

i think common law marriage in Iowa is living together for 8 years and acting like you are married, joint bank accounts etc.

i think common law marriage in Iowa is living together for 8 years and acting like you are married, joint bank accounts etc.

Heh.. That reminds me of an episode of Cops or somesuch, where an officer asks an unruly old guy who "this woman" is and he says "She's my common-law wife." :rofl: I'm sure she loves the qualifier...

In Montana and Alaska any state resident can perform the ceremony. All other requirements (marriage license for the couple etc.) must still be satisfied.

One or both of them limit such powers to one ceremony per year per resident, but I forget which one.

Hmmm.... I wonder what it is in WA. Going on 7 years, and although we don't share bank accounts, I do wash his underwear. THAT oughta be enough, don't ya think? hehehehe

Heh.. That reminds me of an episode of Cops or somesuch, where an officer asks an unruly old guy who "this woman" is and he says "She's my common-law wife." :rofl: I'm sure she loves the qualifier...

My favorite COPS line is from an episode where they arrest this guy for fighting. When they break it up and ask him to explain he say, "No man who aint' married to my sister gonna beat her". I guess it would have been ok for her to have been beaten by her husband according to her brother, Mr. Sensitivity.

Back