I *LOVE* this play

Yeah I heard about it. Awesome play!

I love how the coach argues that the catcher put both arms way up to tag the guy.

I love how the coach argues that the catcher put both arms way up to tag the guy.

I saw the video a couple days ago, and my first thought wasn't that the coach was arguing about the tag - I thought he was arguing about the baseline.

I don't know what the college rules are, the MLB rules say:

>>
Any runner is out when --
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;
<<

I think the coach was arguing that the runner was out of the baseline, vertically.

But I really think he was trying to avoid embarrassment.

I think he was safe, but it just doesn't feel right.

I saw the video a couple days ago, and my first thought wasn't that the coach was arguing about the tag - I thought he was arguing about the baseline.

I don't know what the college rules are, the MLB rules say:

>>
Any runner is out when --
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;
<<

I think the coach was arguing that the runner was out of the baseline, vertically.

But I really think he was trying to avoid embarrassment.

I think he was safe, but it just doesn't feel right.

That was my thought Matthew. I wonder what the rules are about verticle departure. I bet there aren't any but will be.

Back