I just wrote, "How To Become An Airline Pilot - Achieve Your Dream Without Going Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Lawrence

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Robert Lawrence, ATP
My name is Robert Lawrence. I became an airline pilot at age 49. Now is the time to become an airline pilot. There really is a huge shortage. You do not have to go deep into debt. There are several ways to keep your costs low. I work 10 days monthly and enjoy my travel benefits. There is no reason not to achieve your dream. You can do it! I know you can.

How To Become An Airline Pilot - Achieve Your Dream Without Going Broke by Robert Lawrence

Attachments

• Copy of attachment_e91240c61b3b3ce9472aa4080be288cc.jpg
    Copy of attachment_e91240c61b3b3ce9472aa4080be288cc.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 85
I see a post and a photo.
If I, a 41 year non instrument rated PPL with a wife and 2 kids and a mortgage, 20 years into an IT career wanted to see if this was a viable option w/o affecting my kids school or our living situation, would you be able to provide a link where I could purchase this text?

I suspect it is not a real option for me as much as I would love to find a different career at this point in my life.

Of course you can change careers. Your family surely wants you to pursue your passion. I see a comment below yours stating that becoming an airline pilot only requires a person to be in the right place, at the right time. Comments like these are from people who never get in the game, and they spend the rest of their lives complaining how others are lucky, or life is difficult and failure is to be expected. Of course you can pursue your passion at age 41. The airlines will fight over you. My book is available on Amazon, How To Become An Airline Pilot - Achieve Your Dream Without Going Broke, by Robert Lawrence. I share lots of secrets so you can save time and money on your way to the airlines. I fly with lots of former IT guys, who did just what you are considering. Don't let your kids and your mortgage serve as an excuse. Let them be an inspiration. You can upgrade to captain in less than 2 years and then to the majors soon thereafter. Your first year you can earn $50,000 or more flying, and work IT gigs on the side. Once you get through your first year you will have enough seniority to control your schedule and choose the domicile of your choosing. The only person stopping you is YOU. Just make the decision to pursue your passion. I fly 10 days monthly and I live a great life. If you listen to the nay-sayers you will end up like them, complaining on Internet forums. You will either find a way, or you will find an excuse. The choice is yours.
Robert Lawrence, ATP

I’m 41, an instrument student with 200 hours, and I daydream every day about doing this. I’ve got $7 somewhere. I’m down to read it.

*Edit: bought all 3.

Last edited:
My wife is an author and has published more than a dozen books that get great reviews. I'm still working the day job.... It's a tough business.

Congrats on the recent publish, Robert.

Congrats on the new book. Writing a book is the easy part. SELLING the book is the hard part. By the time my last one went out of print, I think I earned almost enough to fill the tanks on a PA-32.

Amen! Always looking for a way to get my books face time. Selling is much harder than writing. I self-published and I make about $40 a month. I didn't write to get rich, just something I always wanted to do.

Last edited:
I'll certainly give this a read.

I got it free through Kindle Unlimited. It seems more like motivational speech. This appears to be geared for non-pilots, and I'm sure is very informative for non-pilots.

@mryan75 41 is still fine for the airlines. Many military pilots get hired after a 20+ year career in the military, so they'd be around your age. If you can acquire enough hours in the next 4-5 years it could be enough to get you in. Right now the magic number is 1500 hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gets changed. Industry is already lobbying to get it changed, especially the regional lobbyists.

Thanks for that, it’s nice to read something like this. The funny thing is, my dream job is flying 208s around the Caribbean. But I’d take an airline gig. I’d just love to fly rather than sitting at my desk wishing I was flying.

I write too....how does one get paid? o_O
Step 1: Write the book
Step 2: Find someone to proof/edit the book
Step 3 (optional): Find agent
Step 4: Find publisher (agent will do this if you use Step 3) or decide to self publish
Step 5: If self publishing, write a big check. If you find a publisher, sign away your life
Step 6: Go through the editing, proofing process again
Step 7: Celebrate the publishing of your book!
Step 8: Get some copies and show them to your friends. Sign a few and mail them to people you want to envy you
Step 9: Go to book signings where you sit for 4 hours and talk to 3 people, who do not buy copies
Step 10: Sit by the mailbox on the 9th of the month waiting for the royalty check(s)
Step 11: Check Amazon to see if the thing actually is on the market. Be amazed at the number of resellers who are already offering it for half off
Step 12: Sit by the mailbox some more
Step 13: If an aviation book, hawk it on PoA
Step 14: Be delighted when a royalty check arrives. Eagerly tear open the envelope to find a statement showing how much the publisher made, along with your check for $7.82
Step 15: Go to Starbucks and think about your next book.

I used to "wish" my life would get better. I worked a job I hated. I was broke, out-of-shape, and miserable. I then began reading books about self-improvement, by Wayne Dyer, Napoleon Hill, Louise Hay and others. I learned that my thoughts create my life. I could create any life I desired. Wishing your life will improve doesn't work. Envision your ideal life. Commit to your passion. Take inspired action. Once you decide to pursue your passion you will take the first step. You will then know what step to take next. In time, you will arrive at your destination. If you never think about what you want AND commit, you will live a life "wishing" things change, and they never will. People will come up with endless reasons to continue suffering in a career they hate, but then dismiss their dreams for the same reasons. It is a simple shift in thinking that will change your life. Yes, I fly 10 days monthly. Yes, I flew to Hawaii four times and Europe twice this year, free (on vacation). Yes, I live near the beach in So. Cal. Yes, I get paid to fly jets. Yes, I sail and ride my motorcycle to Malibu. How is it possible you ask? I decided to live the life I desire. I am in charge of my life. Nobody else is in charge. I create my life with my thoughts. We all do, for better or worse. For those who remain stuck in the Matrix, thinking life is hard and their dreams are too distant, I beg you to shift your thinking and know that every human creation and invention first requires a thought. Your life is no different. Be the hero of your own life. If you want to become an airline pilot, just make a decision and make it happen. Thousands of others have. I wrote my book to explain how you can do it cheaper and faster. "How To Become An Airline Pilot - Achieve Your Dream Without Going Broke", by Robert Lawrence. I know some are not ready to hear this message, but hopefully a seed has been planted and in time it will grow and you will understand that you can live your ideal life. You can do anything I have done, or others have done.

While I agree totally with the philosophy that your attitude defines your reality, your notion that your dreams will come true if you just commit to it is facile. Not all dreams are created equal. If you set a goal that is easy to accomplish, well then it's not much of a goal, is it?

Ken,
Please share what you have accomplished? Are you living your ideal life?

Ken,
Please share what you have accomplished? Are you living your ideal life?
With more of my life in the rear view mirror than in the windshield, I am far more satisfied with my life than I imagined I would be when I was younger. I am well off financially, I have an amazing wife and my kids have turned into fine young adults. I am respected nationally in my field. I have great friends.

But that does not alter the fact that positive attitude and hard work cannot conquer everything. Everyone depends on others and, yes, the luck of the draw.

All of the op’s glasses are rose colored
OK, we've been ragging on Robert a bit now. But we should also remember he just signed up to sell his book, and does not understand the culture here of backslapping and serious, thoughtful challenge of ideas. Well, and off-color jokes, but let's ignore that for now.

To Robert, good luck on your new book, and congratulations for living your dream. You should be proud of that.

Thread closed pending MC review.

The OP came here to sell his new book, which may be of value to some and may not be of value (or interest) to others. Whether or not his principles will work for everyone is not the point of his advertisement. We seem to have forgotten that posts in The Classifieds should not have discussions of the value of the item. Many of the posts in this thread outside of the OP are in violation of the RoC.

The thread is back open minus a lot of the snark. Please keep in mind what Ted and Ken have written in the two posts above this one. They said it better than I could.

My name is Robert Lawrence. I became an airline pilot at age 49. Now is the time to become an airline pilot. There really is a huge shortage. You do not have to go deep into debt. There are several ways to keep your costs low. I work 10 days monthly and enjoy my travel benefits. There is no reason not to achieve your dream. You can do it! I know you can.

How To Become An Airline Pilot - Achieve Your Dream Without Going Broke by Robert Lawrence
Airline pilot...???
Several levels today, not to be confused with yesteryears.
A regional “Airline pilot” is reasonably easy to achieve. A pilot for a legacy is a completely different ballgame.

No, I didn’t read your book.

Still not in his demographic.

I'd hazard to say that there are a lot more jobs out there that are not considered "airline." No need to pigeon hole a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back