I inadvertently violated 61.195a (CFI duty limitations)

And by looking at my logbook how would anyone know I violated the 8/24? There are no times written down.

They wouldn't, and they wouldn't be looking for it, and they would never care... until something happens and an insurance company is on the hook for a million plus payout. Then the statements made in depositions and examinations of evidence (logs) may bring a point to light that can be exploited into a denial of claim. Then you will have to swear out the exact schedule under cross examination at a deposition.

The FAA exists in order to give the insurance actuaries a stable platform of known and acceptable losses to base profitable returns from their premium base. Without insurability, aviation as an industry is impossible, it is the most important factor in a system that relies on Strict Liability for stability and minimized legal actions. GA does not have Strict Liability.

As long as you don't hurt anyone, or the people who got trained don't hurt anyone, there is no chance it comes to light.

Last edited:
And by looking at my logbook how would anyone know I violated the 8/24? There are no times written down.
You would know, that is if you even thought about it.

LOL, I didn't post the information so that people would be paranoid, or not, about being discovered. I only posted it because I believe that the 8 hours split between two days is something many do not even consider.

Actually, I think what the judge will say is, "That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection, Mr. Gambini. Overruled." :rofl:
My Old Friend Bill's comment predates Judge Chamberlains comment by almost 20 years. :D Although intelligent and well thought out can be a little doubtful.

They wouldn't, and they wouldn't be looking for it, and they would never care... until something happens and an insurance company is on the hook for a million plus payout. Then the statements made in depositions and examinations of evidence (logs) may bring a point to light that can be exploited into a denial of claim. Then you will have to swear out the exact schedule under cross examination at a deposition.
How dare you put a note of reality into an esoteric duscussion that assumes only what is written in the logbook counts?

Besides, since nothing requires a CFI to log instruction given in her own logbook to begin with.... (Yeah, I know most of us do)

Last edited:
If the situation ever presents itself again, just log the overage as you would a safety pilot and not dual (and don't charge). You can't give instruction over 8 hours, but no one says you can't fly over 8 hours.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back