I hope it's just a phase

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
Went to the airport this morning to do a little city tour. Weather is excellent. But, I just couldn't do it. I don't know what my problem is but I don't want to fly solo. I last flew a couple of weeks ago with an instructor because I'm still getting used to the G1000. He said my flying is good.

Balls! :dunno:

Have you simulated engine outs much?

For me, that I think is what helped a lot. We simulate them all the time. The other thing I think that helped, is my instructor has covered up all the instruments, and made me do a few landing that way.

Once you get into the mind set, that it's just wind and wings, and at the most basic level, it's the simplest thing you can do, you get past the scared part. Trying to remember every little thing can be overwhelming.

Remember it's fun, and you can screw up just about everything but stick and rudder, and not hurt yourself.

The thing that jumps out at me is unfamiliarity with the G1000. Perhaps it's occupying more of your attention than you would like? I know that scared the hell out of me the first time I went up with an Aspen panel.

You can test this by going up in a steam gauge aircraft.

You can solve it (if it is indeed the problem) with the G1000 simulator Garmin sells.

The thing that jumps out at me is unfamiliarity with the G1000. Perhaps it's occupying more of your attention than you would like? I know that scared the hell out of me the first time I went up with an Aspen panel.

You can test this by going up in a steam gauge aircraft.

You can solve it (if it is indeed the problem) with the G1000 simulator Garmin sells.

I can definitely see where more familiarity with the equipment in your plane is important.

But if I was going to do what the OP wants to do (go up and fly around town on a beautiful day and land), all I really care about is a radio, flaps, and an air speed indicator.

Turn everything else off for all I care. I know for me the feeling that I need to know how to operate everything 100% would get in the way of just flying the plane.

Yes, if a XC, I would want more then those things working. But just to the practice area and back... just fly the plane :)

The weather is perfect in Louisville right now, I'm stuck in the office or else I'd be beep boppin' around in the 150. Fly the citabria's?

Another good indicator, is how much does your CFI do when you two fly together? When I did my first solo, I realized the last 4-5 times we were in the plane together, he never touched a control (other then to demonstrate a maneuver). He would just let me know where I could do something better.

So if your flights are like that, you should have nothing to worry about. Go fly :)

I had something like that. Arrived to airport, and just had this gut feeling that today won't be a good day to fly. WX was great, aircraft preflighted just fine. But I couldn't get in it. Gave FBO some BS story and left.

I've been through a couple of phases like this since I got my PP, and at least one as a solo student. The strange thing for me is I was fine with a non-pilot along not just an instructor. I pressed through it. A couple of times I took the instructor along to be more comfortable and then I forced myself to go solo. Now it's a non-event.

Hope that helps.
John

I had a steam gauge 172 booked. Haven't flown that in 5 months as my other flying has been in the Citabria and SR20. Most of that time has been with instructors. Perhaps I've become reliant on having someone I the right (or back) seat? Or perhaps just having someone along to talk to?

It doesn't seem to be about in-flight emergencies. I run through those scenarios in my head during my 30 minute treadmill sessions.

I've been through a couple of phases like this since I got my PP, and at least one as a solo student. The strange thing for me is I was fine with a non-pilot along not just an instructor. I pressed through it. A couple of times I took the instructor along to be more comfortable and then I forced myself to go solo. Now it's a non-event.

Hope that helps.
John

This pretty much sums up where I am.

Another good indicator, is how much does your CFI do when you two fly together? When I did my first solo, I realized the last 4-5 times we were in the plane together, he never touched a control (other then to demonstrate a maneuver). He would just let me know where I could do something better.

So if your flights are like that, you should have nothing to worry about. Go fly :)

Last time out was in the SR20. He pretty much sat there except to tell me to stop flaring high. My skills are good according to the instructor. I believe it's a stupid brain moment. Had the same thing in my pre-solo training.

It doesn't seem to be about in-flight emergencies. I run through those scenarios in my head during my 30 minute treadmill sessions.

I should have clarified my statement on those. For me, when we simulate them, I tend to forget about everything, look for a place to land, and land.

It's one of the few times when I am just flying. Not thinking about the time, my heading, my altitude, when I will make my next radio call, ETA to next point, etc...

I just fly. I think doing them over and over, has given me a larger percentage of time in the aircraft where I forget about everything but the flight controls, and that I think, for me anyway, helps with confidence.

OP, there's nothing wrong with that, I don't like flying around by myself with nowhere to go either. If the kids want to go for a ride I'll take them, other than that we don't do any non-travel flying

OP, there's nothing wrong with that, I don't like flying around by myself with nowhere to go either. If the kids want to go for a ride I'll take them, other than that we don't do any non-travel flying

Yeah, that. I hate being on my own. I like the satisfaction of knowing there are more then just my eyes on the lookout for aircraft but even driving and birds fly over my eyes go right to them. I even go to see 3 fighter jets go overhead (in formation no break).

I don't really like just poking holes in the sky either. AvGas is way too much for that stuff. But to be sure I don't lose my landing skills I may go take up the plane at the beginning of December and do a little tour on my own.

Not sure how to overcome it myself. Let me know when you figure out the solution.

Yeah, that. I hate being on my own. I like the satisfaction of knowing there are more then just my eyes on the lookout for aircraft but even driving and birds fly over my eyes go right to them. I even go to see 3 fighter jets go overhead (in formation no break).

I don't really like just poking holes in the sky either. AvGas is way too much for that stuff. But to be sure I don't lose my landing skills I may go take up the plane at the beginning of December and do a little tour on my own.

Not sure how to overcome it myself. Let me know when you figure out the solution.
solution to what? I don't see it as a problem. I don't take my car for a drive for no reason, nor do I make a lap of the yard on the lawnmower if the grass doesn't need cut. The airplane is just another conveyence that gets used when it's needed and is parked when it isn't.

:yeahthat:

I don't think you can "think" yourself into a solution. Just have to DO IT.

solution to what? I don't see it as a problem. I don't take my car for a drive for no reason, nor do I make a lap of the yard on the lawnmower if the grass doesn't need cut. The airplane is just another conveyence that gets used when it's needed and is parked when it isn't.

I can't say I have ever flown my plane because I needed to and I flew 100 hours last year.

I've gone to the airport on several occasions, including when I first was signed off and then came back home, as I wasn't "feeling it" that day. At some point, however, you need to hop back on the horse and go with it, but nobody can tell you when or how you should do that exactly.

Also, for the most part, I prefer to fly alone; it's sort of my way to unwind and get away from the world. I do enjoy flying with my wife as well, I think because she typically stays pretty quiet while we're actually flying. All said, she's happy to fly with me, as long as we're traveling somewhere and not just putting around the area.

Last edited:
Back