I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression from War, but need a class I medical!

I'll be really blunt.

If you do have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you should not get a class I medical. If you don't have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you shouldn't be receiving VA benefits. Which is it? Maybe a little more info would be helpful.
I agree..........100%

I'll be really blunt.

If you do have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you should not get a class I medical. If you don't have PTSD, anxiety and depression, you shouldn't be receiving VA benefits. Which is it? Maybe a little more info would be helpful.

BTW, I'm an ex Nam-era vet and I'm not necessarily unsympathetic to your issues.

Thanks for cutting to the chase! He may have to settle for less and that may be a good thing.

In any event, for someone thus diagnosed today, the process is what it is -- long and expensive. I sure hope VA helps with that process because I know insurance doesn't.
Since the VA currently seems to encourage veterans to apply for benefits based on PTSD I rather doubt that they'd spend much effort helping an individual in having the diagnosis recinded?

Since the VA currently seems to encourage veterans to apply for benefits based on PTSD I rather doubt that they'd spend much effort helping an individual in having the diagnosis recinded?

+1. They push in down your throat in the VA disability class. There were probably 30 people in mine. Maybe 5 of us retiring. At the end of this guy's brief, after he got everyone fired up about how many ailments you can claim, he shouted "now raise your hand if you're gonna file a claim!" I looked around and saw everyone in the room with their hands up. Some were SGTs who only did 4 yrs and never saw action and had no wounds. I was the only one who didn't raise his hand.

They really don't go over the ramifications of what happens after you claim either. Someone comes up and hands out a piece of paper that basically says some jobs you can't qualify for with certain disabilities. My advice to anyone looking at flying for a living, don't try and hide a disability but realize it could very well keep you grounded if it's severe.

Last edited:
Hey brother/sister,
I've been close to where you are, and I honestly don't know about the paperwork side of things, but I have a close friend that may be able to help. The fact that you are still standing and goin after your goals is proof that you are in the right state of mind and on the mend. Let me know if you'd like me to PM you. Not many have the oppurtunity to look their own fate in the eye and say, "not me, not today."

Semper Fi

I am going through that same process. It's a pain...you will need copies of all your military med records pertaining to the issues...also contact the local vso they can help with more than you think! You will need a full psych eval. Being you have a rating for ptsd the .va will cover it.....but...the ffa wants you to pay for it and has a list of psychologists they want u to use. Keep your head up..keep at it. Give it that ol marine corps spirit

Oorah

Makes me wonder if this has something to do with the military suicides exceeding number of KIA.
Not to hijack he thread, just wonder why making a label for traumatic experiences makes it difficult to obtain a Medical of any level.

The OP has received a diagnoses of a stress induced mental disorder, one that is disabling, and for which a physician (or physicians) has attested is disabling in his case, to the extent that he is receiving disability pay.

The manifestations of disability with PTSD and other stress related disorders involve things such as flashbacks, outbursts, panic disorder, freezing up and being unable to respond.... (this is a general list, not saying the OP has any or all of these examples)... The nature of these manifestations can be unpredictable, with unknown triggers.

The issue isn't the traumatic experience. Its the individual's reaction to it. In the OP's case he has most likely gone through several, well documented steps over a significant period of time to qualify as being labeled (and paid) as disabled due to a stress related mental affliction.

This is a difficult bell to un-ring.

I concur with consulting Dr Chien... but there are no guarantees.

Recent studies have shown that a lot of that has to do with how warriors come home now. In WWII and previous battles you sat on a ship for a couple months crossing the ocean and had time with your brothers that were there, to vent, talk about it with, and just wind down a bit. Now a days you go from being in the field to back home in less than a week, a couple days waiting to get out of country, and a couple of days waiting to get the rest of the way back home. Not much of a transition time.

Never thought of that. A good observation.

That's no lie. I went from flying my last mission of my rotation to drinking a beer in my lazy boy in under 30 hours. Quickly get some paperwork signed, throw your stuff in a bag, and jump on the C-17.

Granted that was 11 years ago, and things have changed since then. Most of the time it didn't happen like that, and would take a couple days.

Sent from the barrel of an M-134 at 2800 ft/sec.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back