I have a few questions... (Aerobatic)

tcepilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tcepilot
I have not yet started training (17) but I do have a pretty good head start with simulated flight. Anyway, I eventually want my commercial license (to make money as I understand). I am interested in aerobatics but don't know where to start. I know I have high hopes in the aviation community but I thought it would be great to one day perform at air shows. I'm confident that it can be done if I can have a little help and get the right heading on where to start. The problem is, I'm just an average Joe and not exactly bathing in money.

1. How much money would such training cost?

2. Where can I do this? (Located in Dayton Ohio)

3. What do I need to have first?

Any tips for my upcoming adventures would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks -tce

Start with working on your Private Pilot certificate, somewhere along the line transition into an aerobatics capable aircraft and get some aerobatic training, then buy a cheap single seat aerobat like a Pitts S-1 and practice, practice, practice.

All you need to have is money.

I have not yet started training (17) but I do have a pretty good head start with simulated flight. Anyway, I eventually want my commercial license (to make money as I understand). I am interested in aerobatics but don't know where to start. I know I have high hopes in the aviation community but I thought it would be great to one day perform at air shows. I'm confident that it can be done if I can have a little help and get the right heading on where to start. The problem is, I'm just an average Joe and not exactly bathing in money.

1. How much money would such training cost?

2. Where can I do this? (Located in Dayton Ohio)

3. What do I need to have first?

Any tips for my upcoming adventures would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks -tce

I'd say that training for your private pilot certificate could cost between 7k to 13k on average. If you are looking to go commercial you will most likely want to get your instrument rating and then commercial certificate otherwise your commercial certificate will have limitations. The minimum flight experience for a private pilot certificate is 40 hours whilst a commercial certificate will be 250.

The simulator time isn't going to help much and may have led you to develop bad habits on the controls if you haven't had any real stick and rudder time.

As Henning stated, you will need your private pilot certificate first and a lot of money if you want to learn and compete at aerobatics on a level where you make money.

I would recommend you go to school and get a degree in aerospace engineering. A job in that field will help finance all of this and would probably interest you if you are into aviation.

I'm not sure what aerobatic aircraft are available for training in Ohio, but out here in California there is a nice two place Robin aerobatic trainer that rents for $140/hr and seems to be flying practically everyday. $140 seems pretty affordable for an aerobatic aircraft, in my opinion. Come out to school at Cal State Long Beach, learn to fly at KLGB, and you can transition into the plane immediately after your PPL if you have the $$$$

Heck you can work for me if you need a part time college job also :p

Last edited:
I'm not sure what aerobatic aircraft are available for training in Ohio, but out here in California there is a nice two place Robin aerobatic trainer that rents for $140/hr and seems to be flying practically everyday. $140 seems pretty affordable for an aerobatic aircraft, in my opinion. Come out to school at Cal State Long Beach, learn to fly at KLGB, and you can transition into the plane immediately after your PPL if you have the $$$$

Heck you can work for me if you need a part time college job also :p

I started aerobatics in those Robins, they do pretty well for a basic aerobatic plane. They used to have 4 of them, OZ and RM were the ones I flew most. LGB is a good place to learn to fly, at least it used to be, most of the old talent that was there has flown west in the intervening 25 years. I heard Ray shut down Rainbow Air, that was sad to hear.

Was coming here to mention Stewart field, but I see VanDy beat me to it. Curse that guy!

One good thing about the Dayton area is that there's no shortage of airports. You can hardly throw a rock without hitting an airport around here. If you're on the north side, there's Dayton International. Closer to downtown? You could do DAY or Moraine. South side of town? KMGY or Moraine. East? Good ol' Greene County-Jackson. About the only bad place to be would be west of Dayton proper since I don't think much is going on at Dahio Trotwood airport anymore, though Brookville could be a possibility.

Is it possible to do all of my training at Stewart field? Beginning to end?

Red Stewart is a great grass field and there is a lot of GA going on there. I practiced short field take offs and landings there before heading to 6Y9 last year.

I think I will start there. I was going to start at the Wright Brothers Airport in Springboro. Red Stewart looks likes better prices and training though.

I am interested in aerobatics but don't know where to start. I know I have high hopes in the aviation community but I thought it would be great to one day perform at air shows. I'm confident that it can be done if I can have a little help and get the right heading on where to start. The problem is, I'm just an average Joe and not exactly bathing in money.

The best way to get into aerobatics is to get as much tailwheel time as early as you can, and just let it be a natural progression. Get some basic (but good) training in a Citabria/Decathlon type. Get advanced spin training (not in a 172). As Henning mentions, a Pitts S-1 is the best bang for the buck aerobatic plane. You will really need your own aerobatic plane to develop good aerobatic skills. You won't figure out what type of aerobatic flying you want to do until you get some experience.

It's fine if you have a goal in the back of your mind of flying airshows. Just understand that since you haven't started yet, that it's putting the cart before the horse a bit in thinking about airshow flying at this point. Be prepared for the fact that airshow flying may not be for you. Have you done aerobatics at all yet? If not, be prepared for the fact that serious aerobatic flying itself may not be for you. You're thinking about your destination before you have the experience needed to give you any perspective on this stuff.

But if you get into aerobatics and really like it, understand that airshow flying is not about having exceptional aerobatic skills. It does not take a high level of skill to obtain a beginner 800' AGL waiver and start flying shows. Almost anyone who can flop through a basic loop, roll, and spin in a consistently safe manner can get a minimal SAC (statement of aerobatic competency). You just need to demonstrate this to an ACE (aerobatic competency evaluator) who will mentor you through this process, and airshow safety, etc.

Becoming a successful airshow pilot is more about marketing yourself to airshow organizers, having a desirable "act", and having the personal skills to make connections and deal with folks well. Having a safe, professional attitude is essential. You'll start out flying small little local airshows. Don't plan on going straight to Oshkosh. :) And don't have any illusions that you will make much money flying airshows. You will not make a living, so don't plan on it being a career. Most airshow pilots do it because they want to, and they can afford it, and have the time. Most have (or had) other sources of income. This is not meant to discourage, but it's the way it is.

And keep in mind that competition acro provides a good foundation for airshow flying. It forces you to learn good fundamental skills, flying within a confined space, and just general aerobatic discipline. Don't be in a hurry to go too far too fast. That's a good way to get killed. Just let it be a natural progression. You'll figure it all out. Good luck.

Last edited:
What Wifferdill and Henning said. You also might want to consider joining the International Aerobatic Club (IAC). It is a division of the EAA.

TCE, you sound local, we have a get together once a month at KMGY to just hangar talk and spend time with fellow pilots. Usually meet the first Thursday of the month from 6 to 8. No meeting this month but should start back again next month. PM me for details, sometimes we head out to aviate after the meeting, ask AJ

... and here I was thinking we were meeting this Thursday! :D

I've done all of my training at Dayton-Wright Brothers and operate out of there and Tim has a nice Arrow hangared there as well. Stop by and maybe he'll take you for a ride!

... and here I was thinking we were meeting this Thursday! :D

I've done all of my training at Dayton-Wright Brothers and operate out of there and Tim has a nice Arrow hangared there as well. Stop by and maybe he'll take you for a ride!

I've warned him about you radio using folks! :D

-VanDy

Radios are my friend!!!!

Ditto! Doesn't mean I don't have my head on a swivel, especially when doing anything around Caesar Creek since there's almost always some nordo yahoos around there doing crazy aerobatic stuff :p

Ditto! Doesn't mean I don't have my head on a swivel, especially when doing anything around Caesar Creek since there's almost always some nordo yahoos around there doing crazy aerobatic stuff :p

And gliders, that may or may not be using them

-VanDy

Oh, if you have access to gliders, there is a low cost way to learn to fly, and learning aerobatics in a glider really teaches you energy management.

What Wifferdill and Henning said. You also might want to consider joining the International Aerobatic Club (IAC). It is a division of the EAA.

I agree 100% with the above, but it is not enough to just join the IAC, you should seek out the local chapter, phone someone (like the President) and get active. Some chapters have club aircraft, and usually there are partnerships available. There's a wealth of information there.

It is getting closer and closer to fall. I'm busy with driving and motorcycle training at the moment. Im also joining the Civil Air Patrol as of now. Makes me wonder being a grass field, is red Stewart open in the winter? Is training still active then as well?

Back