I had to Laugh..

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
I'm done with the Condition Inspection on the Hiperbipe that was due in December. This was my third inspection since I've owned her (or she owned me...) and I was determined to not only inspect but to really look at the plane and maybe see things that were getting long-in-the-tooth that warrented retirement.
I found an oil leak that turned out to be caused by a bent pushrod that was caused by a sticking exhaust valve. Reamed the guides (all of 'em. What the hell; I was already dirty...):rofl: and replaced the pushrod and all the shroud tube seals.
Found some Black-wire corrosion in the big gauge runs so I replaced all the wire 10Ga and above. While at it I couldn't determine the age of the Master and Start Contactors so they both got replaced. More new wire. Made a new ground buss. Installed an JPI EGT/CHT system. Upgraded to a Plane Power internally regulated alternator (getting rid of the VR and OVR). Put in an alternator INOP light directly in front of me. Installed custom cockpit LED lighting (Red/White switchable) replaced a questionable ammeter shunt with a new one. Replaced a bit of fabric that had become oil soaked around an inspection cover on the bottom of the airplane. Re-did some plumbing on the Smoke System...

Prop to Tail. I poked and prodded and fixed and replaced and upgraded and cleaned and polished. I have ventured into the recesses of this airpane that have not seen the light of day since it's Birth in 1982!

At the end (a Month on...) I knew my airplane better, I felt I had done good service and useful upgrades and as a whole I was pleased...

Books (Airframe, Powerplant and Prop) were signed off. Test flight perfect.

As I was taxi-ing from the fuel pumps at DTN this evening after the test flight I looked out the front and centered on the VNE bow was the wet compass.

It was leaking..

I had to laugh!

Chris
Hiperbipe 7HT

Last edited:
How much mechanical experience did you have prior to buying the Hiperbipe? That sounds like a pretty hard-core bit of MX you were doing. I'd love to do the homebuilt route but everytime I read stuff like this it scares me.:yikes:

How much mechanical experience did you have prior to buying the Hiperbipe? That sounds like a pretty hard-core bit of MX you were doing. I'd love to do the homebuilt route but everytime I read stuff like this it scares me.:yikes:

I assume Chris is at least an A&P. I think someone else built the Hiperbipe, right?

I work on experimentals all the time. I really enjoy it as a hobby. I'm not sure what mechanical experience you have or feel comfortable with, but any work I do I have an A&P buddy check it over to make sure it was done right. That is the fun part about experimentals (besides flying them), you don't have to be an A&P to work on them.

Last edited:
Excellent thread Chris. I too have started looking at one thing and ended up dang near rebuilding the plane. We had a system when I was flying ultra lights that worked pretty good. We would trade airplanes for 1/2 a day and look the other guys plane over. It was amazing what guy would find on my plane that needed attention that I overlooked and vis versa. Seems like experimentals are never "done".

Last edited:
That is the fun part about experimentals (besides flying them), you don't have to be an A&P to work on them.

True, but I thought Chris was talking about doing a condition inspection (which I assumed included the sign off).

In any case, yes, nice write up and good job on doing more than a cursory condition inspection - something I see a lot from owners of experimental aircraft.

I assume Chris is at least an A&P. I think someone else built the Hiperbipe, right?

Yes, 7HT was one of the "Factory Demo" aircraft built by the owner with "Factory Assistance." :nono:
Not an A&P yet but working toward it. I've worked with two A/P-IA's for the last 4 years part time. My speciallty(s) are Elecrtical, Fabric and Composite repair. Sheet metal is doable but I seem to require an inordainate amount of Bandaids...:D.

"How much mechanical experience did you have prior to buying the Hiperbipe? That sounds like a pretty hard-core bit of MX you were doing. I'd love to do the homebuilt route but everytime I read stuff like this it scares me.:yikes: "
Lots!
My dad taught me that no one is as concerned about your machines as you (the owner) are. As such I have always built and maintained my own Motorcycles, Streetcars, Hot Rods , Racecars, Ultralights and Boats. I am comfortable with working on engines from Briggs & Stratton to Evinrude to Honda to Harley to Blown-Injected Chevy Big Blocks to Lycomings. And BTW; except for the B&S lawnmower motor the Lycoming IO360 is the simplist and most straight forward engine you could hope to work on...:smile:
I know my limits and the limit of my tool budget...I wouldn't, for example, open a Bendix fuel injection unit. I know it takes training and special equipment to do a proper job rebuilding one and thus though I'd love to see one rebuilt I would never attempt it myself. Ditto on something like the CS prop...for this I know I have too few tools and too little knowlege...
I own a copy of AC43.13.1 and use it. I have all the Lycoming Manuals and current revisions. I know how to go online and look up AD's SI's and MSB's. I own (or borrow) the proper tools required for each job I do. If I don't feel comfortable doing something for the first time I'll ferret out either a better discription of the work involved or get someone who has actually done the work before to show me how to do it.

"True, but I thought Chris was talking about doing a condition inspection (which I assumed included the sign off)."

Again; I am not an A&P (yet) but have never had a problem getting an A&P (or IA for that matter) to sign off my work. They check it as work is done (a second pair of eyes instills confidence) and are free to open my hanger at any time to look at anything they feel the need to. As I do work with them too they understand I am VERY Anal Retentive about my work. I make checklists for Electronics installs prior to the install itself. I take pics with my camara prior to removing stuff because I know in 3 or 4 days I might not remember how something should be routed. They know I'm the kind of guy that goes back into the hanger the third time to check the Master is really OFF:rofl:

"I work on experimentals all the time. I really enjoy it as a hobby. I'm not sure what mechanical experience you have or feel comfortable with, but any work I do I have an A&P buddy check it over to make sure it was done right. That is the fun part about experimentals (besides flying them), you don't have to be an A&P to work on them."

This is the main reason I went to EXP...to be "legal" while still being able to work on MY plane as I saw fit. True; anyone can work on their Certified plane to their hearts content and not ever mention it and hope it's passed over next Annual (which is un-believeably common).
I find the Homebuilt Community is MORE, not less honest. We install and upgrade and note such with PRIDE in our Logs. I am in process of working on an RV9 and an Rotorway 162 and am amazed with the amount of attention to detail going into these birds...The theory of NSR* is alive and well in the Homebuilt Community!

* No S***ty Rivets
When a builder starts a task (such a riveting) he/she (without prior experince) naturally sucks at it and thus the first 50 or so rivets that must be drilled, deburred, bucked/pulled and finished in...say a wing skin...look like crap! Shop fine but looks like crap.
Once the Builder learns how to Rivet skins together and becomes proud of the new accuried skill he looks back and sees the first 50 rivets...out comes the drill and those first 50 rivets are replaced. Not because of Airframe integrity issues. Because of Pride!

Chris

Last edited:
Back