I got some respect

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I knew I needed to get out to regain my sanity so I put the top down on the Mustang and wandered towards Wisconsin. I can wander with more confidence with the Nuvi GPS to guide me down two lane roads.

What amazed me is how far things I thought were nearby are - and how you can head off a whole different route and end up crossing the same road you took the last time. There was this furniture store I had on my someday list, I thought it was just a little ways out according to Google Maps - I tripped across it after nearly an hour of driving. And Scott, I came across the sign for Galt and it was further away. We got a lotta miles out here.

I went through a few small towns. I had a car following close,, which they are wont to do. In this town I was looking for a place to stretch my legs so I pulled into the parking slots to let him pass. He stopped. I looked back. There were three geeks leaning out telling me they loved by license plate. "You must work in I.T." I said, "You figured it out." I think there was one complete set of teeth between the three...but still.

All right, it was just youngsters congratulating themselves because they were hip to the plate I've had for like 11 years. ..but still...it felt good. Brought me a smile. Sometimes I remember some things I have done have gone well.

Yeah, I shoulda flown but I'm need of a BFR or Wings. Soon.

The trip worked. It's nice just smelling the country air.

Last edited:
Good on you Mike. There ARE some true believers out there, still.....

cruising back roads is much more fun without GPS and off the roads shown on the map. then you only have a vague idea of where you are and what route is the best to get where you are going.

cruising back roads is much more fun without GPS and off the roads shown on the map. then you only have a vague idea of where you are and what route is the best to get where you are going.

Yeah. I can do that. Just hide the GPS until I want to go home, and then just push the "Home" button.

One thing that happened was I would make a right and think I was going north only to see the GPS telling me I was going east. I was trying to zig zag north and west. :dunno: Those winding country roads going around glacial lakes can mess up a city kid.

I won't steal Mike's thunder. But ONLY a network guy would have this one.....

Back