I got owned...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Went to drive to work this morning. Hmm that's funny something looks different about my car. Oh yeah! The satallite radio antenna is missing.

Walk up to see the following missing:

1.) CD Player
2.) Sirius satallite radio
3.) 2 meter ham radio

Lesson Learned:
If you invest in a high dollar car alarm, and spend the time to put it in.. You should probably turn it on. Oh yeah, probably a good idea to lock your car too! I guess I forgot in the rush of getting ready for Gastons.

BUT they were sort of friendly thieves!
This part made me smile. They didn't bust any of the car interior pieces...AND get this!
They taped off my power wires so they wouldn't short out when I went to drive it!
They left my checkbook..though I don't know if any checks are missing..since I always just write on random ones and rarely use it..
They also left all of my work stuff I had...This would have ****ed me off more then losing the electronics.

Total loss: 'Bout $600.

Sort of one of those expected "it's going to happen someday" deals. Teens will be teens. I am sure if I call Sirius and someone tries to activate the radio it'll set off an alarm of some type...

Last edited:
Man, that's too bad - I hate getting ripped off!

Sorta funny that they taped the bare wire ends, though... ;)

I just wonder if any of them have any clue what the 2-meter is for, or even what it is. heh.

Ouch! Sorry Jesse, but I had to chuckle a bit at the thoughtfulness of the theives taping the wires.

I once had a Mitsubishi Mirage (I know, I know, laugh it up), and had the stereo stolen. The windows were rolled up and the stereo was installed with the fancy lock tabs out (I did it myself).

They CUT THE DASHBOARD OPEN to get the stereo, after smashing my window to get in.

From that day on, I have made a pact to leave my doors unlocked and leave the tabs in on the stereo. If someone's gonna steal something, they're gonna steal it, I might as well make it easy for them.

Either way, I feel for ya dude, that is the most violated feeling, walking out to the car and seeing stuff missing.

Guess I am lucky was driving to O'Hare to catch a flight and was running late. I parked in short termn parking for my 4 day trip. When I returned as I was walking up to my car I noticed the drivers side window was missing. I figured I was the victim of a window smash and stereo robbery but as I got closer there was no glas inside. It seems that in my haste I left the window rolled down. Nothing was stolen, not my stereo, my 2-meter radio, nor the radar detector. Guess I was just lucky.

Sorry about your loss Jesse. If you want to replace that 2-meter radio with a FT100D DC to daylight all mode mobile radio give me a shout and we can work something out.

SkyHog said:
Either way, I feel for ya dude, that is the most violated feeling, walking out to the car and seeing stuff missing.
well, maybe not the MOST violated feeling . . . there's always walking out to the car and there not being a car there where I left it. Dang. Almost 30 years ago and it STILL aggravates me!! :D

SkyHog said:
From that day on, I have made a pact to leave my doors unlocked and leave the tabs in on the stereo. If someone's gonna steal something, they're gonna steal it, I might as well make it easy for them.
I once had someone slice open the roof of my Miata. It was unlocked. They stole about 89 cents in change and the adapter that lets you play a portable CD player through a cassette tape slot. Replacing the roof was the killer, because the insurance company depreciated the roof.

Welcome to America Jesse! If that's the worst that ever happens to you, you're doing really good.

I had a guy trying to steal my flatbed trailer on friday in broad daylight in front of a dozen witnesses..none of which would do anything. I was only away from it for maybe 3 minutes total. When I saw him I asked what he thought he was doing. He was po'd because I had 2 padlocks on the crash chains and a nearly cutproof steel cable making the trailer and jeep one object. It wasn't a punk either. It was a guy in casual friday business clothes with a brand stinking new SUV. I almost had to run him over with the trailer to get him to stop trying to run the jack down and unhitch it...then he had the nerve to call the police on me for attempted hit and run.

I feel for you though. NOTHING torques me off more than someone dirtbag tearing up my stuff or trying to steal something that I worked my rear off to get and take care of. Make me King of Amerika and that'll become a shooting offense real quick.

fgcason said:
I had a guy trying to steal my flatbed trailer on friday in broad daylight in front of a dozen witnesses..none of which would do anything. I was only away from it for maybe 3 minutes total. When I saw him I asked what he thought he was doing. He was po'd because I had 2 padlocks on the crash chains and a nearly cutproof steel cable making the trailer and jeep one object. It wasn't a punk either. It was a guy in casual friday business clothes with a brand stinking new SUV. I almost had to run him over with the trailer to get him to stop trying to run the jack down and unhitch it...then he had the nerve to call the police on me for attempted hit and run.
There must be something about the mentality of thieves that makes them think that anything they consider stealing is already their property. On a marginally related note, one day I came across a car parked in my driveway with the trunk open and after looking around a bit I found a guy digging holes in my yard (it's mostly forest) and filling buckets with soil. When I asked him what in the he!! he was doing he replied that he needed some potting soil for his garden. After I pointed out that he was digging up my private property he tried to explain that he though this was "public land" like that would make it OK (I'll bet he'd get a pretty "warm" welcome if he was digging in the nearby park). But what really floored me was he got mad when I made him put the dirt back! He figured since he'd already gone to the trouble of digging it up he should be able to keep it. He even said he thought I had plenty of soil and didn't really need "his" as much as he did!

Last edited:
jangell said:
Went to drive to work this morning. Hmm that's funny something looks different about my car. Oh yeah! The satallite radio antenna is missing.

Walk up to see the following missing:

1.) CD Player
2.) Sirius satallite radio
3.) 2 meter ham radio

Lesson Learned:
If you invest in a high dollar car alarm, and spend the time to put it in.. You should probably turn it on. Oh yeah, probably a good idea to lock your car too! I guess I forgot in the rush of getting ready for Gastons.

BUT they were sort of friendly thieves!
This part made me smile. They didn't bust any of the car interior pieces...AND get this!
They taped off my power wires so they wouldn't short out when I went to drive it!
They left my checkbook..though I don't know if any checks are missing..since I always just write on random ones and rarely use it..
They also left all of my work stuff I had...This would have ****ed me off more then losing the electronics.

Total loss: 'Bout $600.

Sort of one of those expected "it's going to happen someday" deals. Teens will be teens. I am sure if I call Sirius and someone tries to activate the radio it'll set off an alarm of some type...

Jesse, you have my sympathy but given all that's occured so far in your short life I can't help but notice that bad things happen to you a lot. Were you born under a bad sign or something? Hopefully there's plenty of offsetting good things (like the PPL etc) that even things out!

The "kindness" of the thief with the taping of wires and all makes me wonder if this wasn't the work of a "friend". In any case you might as well call Sirius and shut down the radio if you haven't already. No sense letting the thief benefit any more at your expense.

lancefisher said:
Jesse, you have my sympathy but given all that's occured so far in your short life I can't help but notice that bad things happen to you a lot. Were you born under a bad sign or something? Hopefully there's plenty of offsetting good things (like the PPL etc) that even things out!

The "kindness" of the thief with the taping of wires and all makes me wonder if this wasn't the work of a "friend". In any case you might as well call Sirius and shut down the radio if you haven't already. No sense letting the thief benefit any more at your expense.

Hmm..I don't know? I don't really let things bother me..Could careless what another person thinks and generally am content with where I am in life. Although thinking about my future scares the hell out of me.

I don't know a single soul up here. So I highly doubt it was anyone I knew.

This really doesn't bother me at all, like I said.. The taping of the power wires actually just made me start laughing.

lancefisher said:
There must be something about the mentality of thieves that makes them think that anything they consider stealing is already their property. On a marginally related note, one day I came across a car parked in my driveway with the trunk open and after looking around a bit I found a guy digging holes in my yard (it's mostly forest) and filling buckets with soil. When I asked him what in the he!! he was doing he replied that he needed some potting soil for his garden. After I pointed out that he was digging up my private property he tried to explain that he though this was "public land" like that would make it OK (I'll bet he'd get a pretty "warm" welcome if he was digging in the nearby park). But what really floored me was he got mad when I made him put the dirt back! He figured since he'd already gone to the trouble of digging it up he should be able to keep it. He even said he thought I had plenty of soil and didn't really need "his" as much as he did!

That brought back the memory of a story that I once heard.

Seems the State of New Jersey had a problem with people stealing evergreen trees planted along side the highways (now, they treat them with a noxious smelling spray). The problem would increase just before Christmas.

The story goes that two people were digging up one of said trees. They were just at the point of wrapping a root ball, when a local police officer came along. Naturally, he asked what they thought they were doing. Without hesitation, one replied "we're planting this tree here to help beautify the road". The officer informed them that planting a tree on public lands was prohibited without a permit, and that they needed to take and put the tree back in their pickup truck and vamoose. Which they did.

True or not? You be the judge.

(No, I don't condone stealing in any way, shape, or form. But I do think the story is humerous).

lancefisher said:
There must be something about the mentality of thieves that makes them think that anything they consider stealing is already their property.

I think you're onto something there. Maybe it has something to do with the instant gratification behavior pattern and the whole 'i have my rights' thing in this society. "I want therefore it's my right to have it right now even at someone elses expense because it's mineminemineminemine." :dunno:

I do wonder if some people are specifically targeted more than others for obscure reasons. Maybe it's a lack of understanding on how to not be a target. Some people do everything possible to avoid loosing stuff and lay low to not make themselves a target and the problems just keep happening to them even though there are much easier lower risk and far better targets nearby.

It does get mentally tiring worrying if your car will still be there in the morning. Obscure nowhere in remote deep Siberia keeps looking better every day.

wsuffa said:
That brought back the memory of a story that I once heard.
I have a friend who had a flat while driving. He pulled over and began pulling the spare and jack out of the trunk. A car stopped in front, and the guy said "you can have the tires, but I got the battery."

It was one of the times that was very convenient to have a lug wrench in your hand.

-Skip

Update:

Credit to the local police officer which btw, has way too much spare time... When I first moved up here I was pulled over within about a hour of living up here because he didn't recognize my vehicle.

Apperantly they hit quite a few vehicles and he walked through several local fields and recovered some things...
1.) Cd player - Recovered
2.) 2 Meter Radio - Recovered
3.) Satalite Radio still missing.

So now it's just a matter of buying another $100 satallite radio receiver..and redoing all of my wiring which is what ****es me off... I had a LOT of time into clean mounting and wiring things.

jangell said:
Update:

Credit to the local police officer which btw, has way too much spare time... When I first moved up here I was pulled over within about a hour of living up here because he didn't recognize my vehicle.

Apperantly they hit quite a few vehicles and he walked through several local fields and recovered some things...
1.) Cd player - Recovered
2.) 2 Meter Radio - Recovered
3.) Satalite Radio still missing.

So now it's just a matter of buying another $100 satallite radio receiver..and redoing all of my wiring which is what ****es me off... I had a LOT of time into clean mounting and wiring things.
Man, I'm sorry they hit you, guy. It's being violated.

Back