I give up...what is it?

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
This homebuilt is in the hangar behind mine. No N-number, and nobody seems to know what it might be. It looks seaplane-ish, but it's definitely a landplane with those gear. Anyone around here have a clue?

Attachments

• unkn-frm-1.jpg
    unkn-frm-1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 78
  • unkn-frm-2.jpg
    unkn-frm-2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 34
  • unkn-frm-3.jpg
    unkn-frm-3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
  • unkn-frm-4.jpg
    unkn-frm-4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 14
Looks like a Woody Pusher to me.
Agreed. The interesting thing is that there is no N-number visible in the pictures...

Two Woody Pushers registered to Minnesotans, but both are from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area...quite a distance from Jay.

The Pusher was basically a '60s re-do of the Curtiss Junior:

http://oldrhinebeck.org/collection/airplanes/Curtiss Junior.htm

Strangely enough, there's a Curtiss Junior registered to a person from Minneapolis, too.

The Woody Pusher was featured in of Popular Mechanics at one point...but then, what homebuilt of the 1960s wasn't?

Ron Wanttaja

I'd guess that there is always someone in the front seat for weight & balance when flying?

Agreed. The interesting thing is that there is no N-number visible in the pictures...

Two Woody Pushers registered to Minnesotans, but both are from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area...quite a distance from Jay.
This one would be registered to a guy in Truman, MN. That's his Cub it's sitting next to. The story on the Cub is that it's sat there for several years because the owner got sick. It's looking kinda sad, actually. Dunno if it's airworthy, or what it would take to make it so.

I really don't know the story on the Woody Pusher. You're right, though: there's no N number on it at all, and no data plate, either. I have no idea if it ever flew. It'd certainly take some work now; how much, I'm not in any kind of position to guess.

I'd guess that there is always someone in the front seat for weight & balance when flying?
It looks like it's set up to solo from the front. All of the controls and instruments are there, and they'd be kinda hard to see from the back.

This one would be registered to a guy in Truman, MN. That's his Cub it's sitting next to. The story on the Cub is that it's sat there for several years because the owner got sick. It's looking kinda sad, actually. Dunno if it's airworthy, or what it would take to make it so.
My registration database shows six airplanes registered to residents of Truman, MN: Three Stinsons, two Cubs, and a Stearman. Two of the Stinsons, one Cub, and the Stearman are registered to a single person (first name Carl).

Ron Wanttaja

Back