I flew plastic this morning

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Ok, so I gotta do something while waiting on the Dakota. I took a flight in a Remos G-3 this morning.

The G-3 is a rotax powered carbon fiber/plastic/glass fiber high wing, LSA and this particular unit had the Dynon glass.

For me, it was the first plastic ride and first glass ride. The rotax is quiet but the high RPM takes some getting used too. Nosewheel steering is fine but it has a single lever for the brakes. My feet didn't know how to act without toe brakes.

In flight the plane responds quickly if not wholeheartedly to control inputs. Climbout is at 70 mph and with about 410 lbs of people on board and 19 gals of fuel we didn't get anywhere near the advertised 1,300 fpm. Maybe I just don't know how to climb the aircraft. :) The trim is not entirely decorative but it doesn't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for the task.

Steep turns and stalls were uneventful. Plenty of buffet pre-stall and the rudder provided plenty of control to keep it level. Glass panel takes some getting used too. Maybe in 10 hours or so I'd like it but right now it's sorta out there.

Pattern work went fairly well and everything was fine with about 3000 rpm and a nice progression of more flaps and decreasing airspeed. Was a little high on short final but had flaps 40 and 60 mph nailed. It was great until the roundout and flare. The darn piece of plastic just didn't want to stop descending and I hit pretty hard.:hairraise: Got all embarassed and flustered. Managed to make it around the pattern a few more times and did a little better but that aircraft just handles a lot differently at the bottom. That's basically why I say the control response is not wholehearted, it just doesn't flare like a Cessna or Piper.

In the end the aircraft appeared to be reusable and they said they'd let me fly it again. Time will tell...

Thanks for the report. There is one for rent at my airport, and I have considered it. Pretty cheap, around $65 as I recall. Reports that I have heard is it was a blast to fly. No reports of sinking though. I have watched it land many times, and from a distance it seems to float the same as a 172. Maybe your speed was a little less than it liked? I know I like to come across the numbers at least 20 knots over stall speed, and that works well for a 172 or a 182.

I was right on recommended speed over the numbers. I could carry more speed and bleed it off in the flare. I'm thinkin' that I just need to carry more power into the landing if I want to use the POH approach speed.

Normally in a Skyhawk or even the Arrow I'm usually high on final and just ride it down with the power pulled all the way off. With the light little Remos it apparently doesn't have enough energy to flare with my technique so I'm going to have to adjust just a little bit. In other words, I'm sure the problem is mine and not the aircraft's.

The POH spent a lot of time warning about float but nothing on running out of control authority or energy in the flare. Hmmm.

Back